• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why arent we USF fans acknowledging this rivalry?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

\ Based on UCF mismanagement and lack of success, they are not worthy of a annual game with USF and therefore, any association with them, by us only detracts from our goal of building a prominant athletics program.  Read the article and weep ucf fans :'(.

Why not build a rivalry with Miami or UF?  Those are the teams we have designed our program after.  

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/14/Sports/USF_already_has_a_big.shtml

I am a USF fan and I agree that this is a great rivalry comming to us:

1) These boards have been lighting up! The interest in this game will be much bigger than any Louisville game will be.

2) Our schools aren't THAT far apart athletically. UCF has a NFL figurehead who is still very involved in the school. As well they have beaten a top BCS school in Alabama (i think in 2001 or something like that)

3) Our conference hasn't done enough to separate itself from teh C-USa other than having 1 BCS affliation. The Big East will pull away one day, but as of now the ConferenceRPI has C-USA over Big East.

4) It will be YEARS before a Miami, Florida State, or Florida recognize us as the "4th" team. None of those schools will give us a yearly home and home rivalry. Miami and Florida start playing again in 2008, those schools will play us occasionally, but they have to make their money and won't give up a home game to come play us unless the deal is extraordinary (i.e. Miami/UCF's deal, UCF dropped their pants for miami).

5) Just because they aren't a BCS conference doesn't mean it can't be a fun rivalry. My Uncle played at Colorado and one of his favorite games (and possibly their most intense rivalry) is the Colorado-Colorado State game. That game brings as much intensity as any Colorado game. Cincinnatti/Miami (OH) are still playing too.

Please don't treat this game as nothing, it is a great opportunity to get exposure for USF and the Big East.

PS- I have heard from reliable sources that Lee Corso will be talking about this game on College Gameday (he does support UCF football).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

actually, it IS an ego thing.. and thats what is pissing me off with the USF fans on this board.. for every idiot UCF poster that comes on this board, i see an intelligent UCF post that's trying to start an appropriate discussion on this UCF-USF matchup, only to see our own USF people flip it and reverse it into a name-calling match

It's got nothing to do with ego for most of us on here. This site has been overrun for years with whining Kanigits and we've been conditioned to react with derision and pat them on the head and send them on their away. Pardon us if some habits are hard to break ..... That just appeared to sound egotistical. I t really wasn't.   ;)

USF fans need to stop ego trippin and just enjoy the game this saturday, regardless of its significance to USF's future landscape in the Big East and/or out-of-conference play

Who says we're not going to enjoy the game?? I enjoy ALL Bulls games.......... but EXCUSE ME if I can't get as excited about this game as UL, UM, WVU, etc.

Guest Pierre M. Vogelbacher

I am quite neutral, but probably lean a little towards USF since I live in Tampa and my wife got her MBA from the school.  I have no ill will towards UCF and when I was growing up in Winter Park was actually a ball boy during their D-II days.

That being said, I think this a rivalry, just based on the hatred shown on this site and the UCF site.  I completely understand USF not wanting to play this game, because the fact is USF has surpassed UCF in football and USF has very little to gain from playing this game.  However, from a fans perspective and if I was a student at either school I would want this game.  I went to UF and while playing UT or UGA was a huge game, much like USF-Louisville might become, there is nothing like the passion shown in the UF-F$U game.  UF could make the same types arguments that USF can about UCF, like UF is a better school with a medical school and UF plays in a tougher and better conference, but in the end the fans want to see the game, I as an innocent bystander look forward to the game and hope that it is played more often in the futre.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

The truth is, every school out there plays at least one game with "very little to gain."

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  9

Are there any BCS vs Non-BCS famous rivialry games ?  .

Colorado v Colorado St

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I'm coming late to this discussion but here's my two cents and definitilon of a true rival.  The two parties in that rivals constantly evaluate each others successes & failures to confirm they are either better or need to do better ie "keeping up w/the Jones".  Why some USF fans don't want UCF as our "keeping up w/the Jones"/rivalry team is UCF is be falling behind in revenues due to the BCS and the UCF losing streak due to some questionable AD coaching decisions & player attrition.  This L streak significantly takes away any glory from a USF victory.  

IMO, the USF fans not excited about this game are seeing a bigger future for USF athletically speaking.  Those that really like this idea are those that feel this will give some identity to the programs, increase ticket sales, generate media interest and there will be this feeling of the UFvsFSU rivalry which is yearned for on both central FL coasts.  Personally, I'm on the fence.  I am excited about the game but unless UCF can make some strides, continuing this game is not prudent for USF IMO.

Some other BCSvsMidMajor rivalries: COvsCSU, MS StatevsMemphis, ? - There ain't many that work.

Why not build a rivalry with Miami or UF?  Those are the teams we have designed our program after.  

Because they won't play us every year.  It was hard enough to get on UF's schedule for 2 games in Gainesville... they won't come to Tampa.  Miami may or may not make the return trip.

Why don't we build a rivalry with Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, .... the list of good programs that we would LOVE to play is a mile long.

Beggars can't be choosers.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Because they won't play us every year.  It was hard enough to get on UF's schedule for 2 games in Gainesville... they won't come to Tampa.  Miami may or may not make the return trip.

Why don't we build a rivalry with Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, .... the list of good programs that we would LOVE to play is a mile long.

Good point.

Most rivalries are with the teams you actually play against.

KL

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  69

Colorado v Colorado St

Hardly a famous rivalry!  This is a stronger case against than for a USF vs. ucf rivalry.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  69

Agreed my friend.  We are indeed on the same page.