• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Corridor Cup??

Guest S.  Bien

You can't plan a tradition.  You can't vision a tradition. It happens.

Until it does, we are without a rivalry.

SO!  It's not like we need to go out to the convenient store and whip up a rivalry.  Let it simmer a bit, I hate how people, in particular these public interest, and business groups, trying to synthetically create a rivalry out of this game.

If it's meant to be, it will be.  We're developing tradition, and like I said before I am not a big fan, being a BCS school, of immediately starting a rivalry with a non-BCS school.  For that matter why UCF?  Because a few internet dudes have been yanking each other's gords?

FAU's looked rather impressive the past two weeks, and FIU went to Manhattan and lost to KSU by less than two touchdowns.  Why not them?  FIU's willing to give us a 2 for 1 to create a series, FAU the same....

UCF fans hate it, but that's the grim reality.  They don't offer anything more than FAU or FIU, maybe an extra 1000 or so fans, but that doesn't add up if FAU and FIU are willing to give us an EXTRA HOME GAME....So, if say UCF out draws them by 5,000 and we get say 40k for a UCF game, but 35K for an FIU game, the difference is actually 70k to 40k since we get a second game game with FIU!

Get the picture, it's also about revenue, and perception.  If you can't see that then you don't get what the BCS is all about.  Perception is key, which is why most of the big BCS programs don't travel to any viable threatening non-BCS program, and why you can almost guarantee that TCU and Gary Patterson will never be invited back to Norman, OK, at least not on the first week of the season.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

forget the cup just give me the knights head on a stake >:(;) ;D

SO!  It's not like we need to go out to the convenient store and whip up a rivalry.  Let it simmer a bit, I hate how people, in particular these public interest, and business groups, trying to synthetically create a rivalry out of this game.

If it's meant to be, it will be.

Now that I will agree with.  At the same time, it's hard to "let it simmer" when the games are not an annual event.

However, I can say this... if we don't have a true rivalry with UCF, we won't have one with anyone.

Bullheaded may be right that there's nothing on the line against UCF -- at least nothing that's not also on the line with Penn State, Miami, or Florida A&M.  It's also the same thing that's on the line for the Florida-Florida State game.  OOC games don't have anything on the line except the win-loss record and a team's place in the polls.

Moreover, what's on the line against Louisville? Syracuse? A Conference win or loss?  I would say that the only time that matters is for the championship ... otherwise any win carries virtually equal weight.  A team that goes 7-5 (2-5) and 7-5 (5-2) probably goes to the same bowl game -- other than the conference championship, the conference record is meaningless.

So I will ask you, what "more" is on the line with any of our games this year that is not on the line with UCF?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Moreover, what's on the line against Louisville? Syracuse? A Conference win or loss?  I would say that the only time that matters is for the championship ... otherwise any win carries virtually equal weight.  A team that goes 7-5 (2-5) and 7-5 (5-2) probably goes to the same bowl game -- other than the conference championship, the conference record is meaningless.

So I will ask you, what "more" is on the line with any of our games this year that is not on the line with UCF?

Doesn't the conference record determine how good a bowl you can go to, if at all??

Doesn't the conference record determine how good a bowl you can go to, if at all??

Nope.  The Big East Champion goes to the BCS... then the bowls get to pick from the teams left.  Gator picks first and can take Notre Dame or a big east team -- next year they'll be able to chose from among the Big 12 teams too.  Insight picks next and last comes Mieneke.  The conference works with the selection committees to suggest teams they should take and reasons why...

But confrence record is not the determining factor.  (It might be one of many factors bowl committees use to pick teams)

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

???

Man, you must've not been around these parts for a while.  How can you not be even slightly interested in the game?

I agree the UL game is FAR more important to you.  The Marshall game is FAR more important to us but we do want to have some meaningful OOC games.

I have been in this area for years. And was recruited by UCF in 93. I remember sitting through the rain and watch UCF get their tails whipped by Troy State. But thats neither here or there.

I am slightly interested in the game. But it ranks to the lower portion of interest on our schedule to me ahead or FAMU and Natti. I have alot friends that went to UCF and were in frats out there, but I really don't see this game as our rival. Why because we are in the same state?

Alot of schools have out of have out of state rivals, ND v USC, Michigian v OSU, Wisc v Minn, Fla v Ga. I just see us developing the rivalry elsewhere.

People will travel to the rival as the interest grows in any game. Personally I think UConn has the best shot at being our football rival.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Only thing that would have possibly been at stake based on this game would have been recruiting if we were both still in mid-major conferences.  Since we've moved into a BCS conference, however, we are on a higher level recruiting-wise.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236

By the way, anyone that just wants a football rivalry because of driving distance needs their head examined.  Wow, we're close, let's play.  Don't forget Webber's been dying to get a rivalry with us, and I hear UT, St. Leo, and Florida Southern are totally miffed that we don't play them in every Olympic Sport.  Figure out where we are heading, and let the people that have the vision do the planning.  I am hoping they have more foresight then some.

Here we go again.  

Why some of you USF guys can't admit it, I will never know.  You need a rival so bad, you are making Louisville one, when they could care less about USF.  Yes Bien, driving distance is a reason to be a rival. Can you tell me a rival outside of ND, that does not have distance between schools as a factor?  Hell, all one has to do is look at USF's game this weekend to realize how bad they need a rival.  FAMU is about to shatter your attendance recored, in doing so, USF fans will most likely be out numbered, at home.  Outside of UCF and FAMU, USF will be lucky to have more than 3,000 fans from any school in the big east travel to USF.

Guest S.  Bien
Only thing that would have possibly been at stake based on this game would have been recruiting if we were both still in mid-major conferences.  Since we've moved into a BCS conference, however, we are on a higher level recruiting-wise.

That's right, the goal is to get to a BCS game and finish in the top 5- NATIONALLY (gosh I never thought I could legitimately say that).  Completely different aspirations.  The key is win games, and have as many home games as possible for two reasons- one because it's easier to win at home (see our home winning percentage) and two because we make more money playing home games.  You play one maybe two BCS programs, and then scatter in a few non-BCS maybe one 1-AA, but as many as you can play at home as possible.  With five possible OOC games to schedule in perpetuity we must be careful that we don't have a season, because we're scheduling to many 1 and 1's with teams like UCF that we have a very, very strong team- like say 2006- and we're traveling to a school like UCF- that could be a buzz saw for our BCS aspirations.

OUR Goal, as a BCS program, is to have 6-7 home games a year.  For example, you probably play one BCS team on the road- we've got those locked up for years with UF, Auburn, and PSU...then throw-in another BCS program at home, then a 1-AA program at home, then a program like UCF/FIU, or FAU at home....It's critical to play as many games as home, not over challenge yourselves because our conference foes are working like mad to improve their programs.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Why some of you USF guys can't admit it, I will never know.  You need a rival so bad, you are making Louisville one, when they could care less about USF.

Well, you can put yourself in that boat.  You need a rival so bad, you are trying to make USF one but we could care less about UCF.