• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transfers - Good or Bad?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Also, I am not sure how scholarships work with this but I doubt UCF had any to offer.  Maybe these guys come in as walk-ons?  If you have to give them a scholly then I am definitely against getting that many transfers.

But with your attrition lately, you have plenty to spare I am sure.

This is freaking ridiculous. This is strictly partisan BS. If the Kanigits had gotten these high profile transfers, Mav would be genuflecting over them .....

Move this crap thread where it belongs .....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737

Have u seen the top five wrs at LSU?  More talent than some NFL rosters.  Im not exaggerating.  4-5 of those guys will be first day picks.  Plus this guy was the 8th ranked reciever in the nation out of high school, i know that recruiting rankings dont mean that much, but obviously the guy once showed enough promise to deserve the benifit of the doubt.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Have u seen the top five wrs at LSU?  More talent than some NFL rosters.  Im not exaggerating.  4-5 of those guys will be first day picks.  Plus this guy was the 8th ranked reciever in the nation out of high school, i know that recruiting rankings dont mean that much, but obviously the guy once showed enough promise to deserve the benifit of the doubt.

Good story on that yesterday:

Stats don't live up to LSU trio's talent

Monday, August 22, 2005

By William Kalec

Staff writer

BATON ROUGE -- Can the LSU wide receivers be the No. 1 pass-catching unit in college football when, among their gifted ranks, they don't possess an established No. 1 receiver?

ESPN.com has already formed its conclusion. Apparently, it's yes. According to its viewpoint, the Tigers' core of Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis and Skyler Green is unmatched athletically, though past production leaves their names buried under a heap of other receivers in the SEC and beyond.

But that's hardly the trumpeted trio's fault -- which seems to be the foundation of the Web site's argument. Bowe's and Davis' numbers were stunted by the conservative offensive play-calling of Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban, who waited, then waited some more, for JaMarcus Russell or Marcus Randall to take a firm grasp of the passing reins. When it finally happened, LSU had 15 minutes remaining in the Capital One Bowl, making it just a bit late for either receiver to threaten Josh Reed's season marks.

Yes, the quarterbacks are easy targets and logical scapegoats, but neither Davis, Bowe nor Green stepped up their game so they could stand out as Russell's or Randall's go-to guy. Reed did so in Rohan Davey's senior season, catching 94 passes for more than 1,700 yards. Michael Clayton gladly served as Matt Mauck's primary read, with Devery Henderson a superb second choice.

Of the three projected starters, Green gets a free pass because he admirably limped through 2004 on a bum ankle and visibly was not the same player Tiger fans recalled skipping into the end zone for an early 7-0 advantage in the 2003-04 BCS championship game in the Nokia Sugar Bowl. Still, Green's size -- or lack of it -- makes him a better fit at slot receiver as opposed to the outside.

Bowe, a junior from Miami, definitely passes the "looks" test. Big hands. Lanky frame. Leaping ability. He's a good four inches taller than most defensive backs, with a prototypical NFL body. Those attributes make most Tigers fans wonder why it took until Jan. 1 for Bowe to display his potential dominance against a quality opponent -- hauling in eight catches for 122 yards against Iowa.

Labeled as the team's most consistent receiver in 2004, Davis led LSU in receptions (43) and yards (659) but must find ways not to disappear inside the red zone. Davis, from O.P. Walker, caught his only touchdown pass against Vanderbilt last year.

"The special thing is we have certain players who can do certain things," Davis said. "We're so deep right now. I don't think we've ever been this deep -- I don't know -- since the school started playing football. We're eight strong right now. Where else you gonna find that?"

It's hard to imagine any place where an Olympian (Bennie Brazell) and a world-class sprinter (Xavier Carter) are at best the fifth options on the depth chart. It was enough for former prep All-American Amp Hill to transfer this past week. But besides that isolated incident, Bowe says he expects there to be enough distribution to satisfy everyone.

"A lot of us came in during 2003," Bowe said. "Look around. We roomed together, got to know each other and we told each other, 'We're going to wait our turn and be just like brothers, like Michael and Devery were.'

"If you're talented, you're gonna get your balls. And everyone around here has a lot of talent, so they know their time is coming."

Not mentioned until recent practices has been the play of freshman Brandon LaFell, a 6-foot-3 Bowe clone from Houston who continues to progress.

Don't forget Early Doucet either, whose ability to stop and start rivals Green's shiftiness.

We got a talented group, and all we've been saying is that, 'Hey, don't worry about us; we're going to make those catches and get those first downs,' " Bowe said.

"I can say that because of the way we've practiced so far. It's a lot better than last year.

"Tempo is better. Everything is flowing."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-20/1124692069242840.xml

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236

Transfers can be good or bad, considering how much time they have left and why they are transferring.  I just wonder how this works out come recruiting time.  I would think schools recruiting against USF could possible use this against them.  All one has to do is say that, "sure they say you will play this position or that position, but they take transfers consistantly and you never know who will transfer next."  Or it could be said that "Sure you are the only WR we are taking this year."  And that is true until they get a transfer.

All one has to do is look at Carlton Hill.  UM told him that he most likley would be a WR, but USF told him he would get a chance to play QB.  Now I know I will get blasted for this, but how much chance did he really get, a week or two as a true freshman.  Now he is practicing as a WR.  Now comes Amp Hill and Pat Carter.  Where will Carlton Hill end up next.

This is not bashing, this is for argument sake.  Tranfers are nice in moderation.

Hill said he didn't want to redshirt. He knew coming in he wouldn't start at QB from day 1 with no experience. So, he's practicing at both QB and WR. So what?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

Hill said he didn't want to redshirt. He knew coming in he wouldn't start at QB from day 1 with no experience. So, he's practicing at both QB and WR. So what?

I find that hard to believe with the QB play from a year ago.  I would have thought Grothe and/or Hill would have THOUGHT they could take the job immediately.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

This is freaking ridiculous. This is strictly partisan BS. If the Kanigits had gotten these high profile transfers, Mav would be genuflecting over them .....

Move this crap thread where it belongs .....

You just want it moved so you can spell check on ONE board at a time.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236

I would love to have some big time tranfers, but not if they only get two years to play.  I would much rather have a kid for four years who grows through the system.

Tell me, what is the difference between a JUCO star and a transfer with two years left to play.  

I find that hard to believe with the QB play from a year ago.  I would have thought Grothe and/or Hill would have THOUGHT they could take the job immediately.

I don't know what's in a kids head, and neither do you. It is very rare for a TRUE freshmen to start in his first game in College, let alone in front of 100,000 fans in an away game.

I expect Hill will play in some games as a QB this year, and other times he will be used as a WR. He wants to play somewhere NOW and he will see the field one way or another.

As for Grothe, he too didn't want to be redshirted, but Carlton is two years older and has more versatility and it would be stupid to not redshirt one of them.

Just about every QB in the nation - especially from BCS schools - redshirt.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

Transfers worked out extremely well for USF early on.  I think it had to do with their 1AA transitional status.  The 1A transfers didn't have to sit.  You could get the best transfer athletes and you got to use them for an extra year than the normal.  Now they're getting stung by the fact that those players aren't available.  USF also has more room for transfers most years because they have a somewhat high attrition rate in their recruiting classes.  They take chances and make up for losses later by accepting transfers.  So their overall numbers remain relatively stable.  The only deficiency is that you have a guy like Amp Hill who would blow away the rest of their receivers but he's got to sit.