• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensively, what went wrong and will it be fixed?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

I know we were very young last year, which had a lot to do with being so soft. Can we expect the old Bulls' defense of the past (prior to last year)?

I know the reports have written about our defense, but that means jack to me: it doesn't tell me if we are better or what I can expect.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

i don't think we could be much worse....so i will say we will be better on D

How much better ???

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

No pressure on the QB = a very vulnerable secondary, especially when your supposed "leader" back there, (Camon) sucks.  

Our D-line is STILL too small to get a push on the QB.  Maybe for the early part of the game we might be able to utilize our quickness but quickness gets tired.  Size doesn't.  

Our LB's are good but without a good push up front the LB's are gonna have to work that much harder stopping the run or getting to the QB.  Now, with DV out for the first game I think we're in real trouble if LG has to play in his stead.  i still don't really believe we have NOONE else with some experience to fill in for DV.  If that's the case that is very poor planning by the staff.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

No pressure on the QB = a very vulnerable secondary, especially when your supposed "leader" back there, (Camon) sucks.

Am I wrong?  I thought Camon graduated last year.

I know we were very young last year, which had a lot to do with being so soft. Can we expect the old Bulls' defense of the past (prior to last year)?

I know the reports have written about our defense, but that means jack to me: it doesn't tell me if we are better or what I can expect.

I can some in up with this one word: Green.

(as in "young and inexperienced")

Look at our depth chart... count the number of upperclassmen in the 4 positions in the secondary... I count 2 seniors and 1 junior on the 2005 team... not to mention a TRUE freshman lined up to start 15 times in one of the 4 DB positions last year.  (* = 1st on 2005 depth chart)

Corners

D. Brown* (sr) [missed last two games of the season]

T. Williams* (so) [started 8 games as a true freshman]

M. Jenkins (so) [started 3 games as a true freshman]

A. Brant (so) [played in 8 games as a true freshman]

Antw. Cox (fr)

Anto. Cox (fr)

T. Roberts (fr)

J. Murphy (fr)

Safeties

J Jones* (sr) [neck injury prevented him from playing much in 2004 - only first two games]

D. Verpaele* (so) [started 7 games as a true freshman, played in all 11 games - now hurt];

L. Gachette (fr) [transfered from QB, redshirted last year];

J Burnett (jr) [played mostly on special teams, some SS]

S. Miller (so) [played on special teams]

J. Jenkins (fr)

Nickelback

C. Williams (r fr) [hasn't played a single down of college football]

The good thing is that we have young and experienced players this year.  The fact that we have four returning starters (if Verpaele can make the PSU game) is a big difference from last year.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Yes Camon graduated but his leadership or lack thereof in the D backfield was one of the reasons for our poor defense in 2004.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I feel that we not only have the size on the DL, but talent. We also have great experience at the Ends.

Also, feel that our LB's will get to the QB ... it's up to our DL, especially the DT's to tie up the OL.

Do need the DB's to play better.

BULLieve that we'll be improved ... was really shocked about last season.

Go BULLS !!!