• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Heralded Uconn Freshman Joe Akers injured

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  0

Joe appears to have suffered a concussion today in practice and is under going tests.  Uconn is very high on this young man that graduated from highschool after 3 1/2 years so he could get an early start at Uconn.  He enrolled last Spring and was challenging for a starting position at guard or center.  This is a potential huge loss to the Huskies. More importantly, let's hope the young man is okay. He has already had one severe concussion.  This time, it could mean playing football is over for him.  I'll let you guys know if I hear more.

DW

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  0

http://connecticut.scout.com/2/424430.html

By Mark Mancini

Date: Aug 15, 2005

Joe Akers, a freshman center who enrolled in January to get the jump on the 2005 season, suffered a concussion during a scrimmage Saturday in Storrs. Akers also was knocked unconscious during the state championship game while playing for Hereford High in Maryland last December, and the succession of head injuries may bring his promising football career to a premature end.

Joe Akers’ career with the UConn football team may be over before it even began.

Akers, a freshman center who enrolled in January to get the jump on the 2005 season, suffered a concussion during a scrimmage Saturday in Storrs. Akers also was knocked unconscious during the state championship game while playing for Hereford High in Maryland last December, and the succession of head injuries may bring his promising football career to a premature end.

UConn head coach Randy Edsall said Monday morning that Akers had gone home to Reisterstown, Md., for more medical tests at nearby Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Edsall said the Akers family would discuss the situation internally, then meet with the UConn medical staff Friday to decide Akers’ future. Edsall said it’s “a possibility†that Akers’ career is over. “First and foremost is his health,†Edsall said.

Akers was the first player in Maryland high school history to be named all-state three times. He was the No. 2 center in camp behind redshirt freshman Trey Tonsing at the time of his injury.

“I’ve talked to Joe and his mother and told them what my thoughts were right now,†Edsall said. “I said, ‘But let’s just get all the information,’ and then I want them as a family to sit down and talk, so that when they get back here, they’ll talk to the doctors here, and then I’ll talk to them again and we’ll see what direction we go in. Like I told his mother, my main concern first and foremost is the health of Joe Akers more than anything else.â€Â

With Akers out, redshirt freshman Keith Gray has moved from defensive end to center.