• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reid much stronger, ready to contribute

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Reid much stronger, ready to contribute

By Austin Lyon

Special to the Sentinel

August 13, 2005

When DE Kareem Reid arrived at UCF last fall after spending two years at Kentucky, there was no bitterness or complaints about having to sit out for a season.

Instead he focused on getting stronger and faster to be ready for 2005. By all accounts, he has made great strides and continues to get better with every practice.

"I've really improved a lot as far as strength wise," Reid said. "I came into the program average strength, and I'm probably above average now a year into the program."

Reid, a junior who played at Coral Springs High, is expected to be an important part of an improving defensive line.

"He did a good job last year on the scout team," defensive coordinator Lance Thompson said. "He's a kid that's going to be a contributor for us this year.

"I think if Kareem will buy into the fact that he's got to be a contact player every play, he could be an outstanding player."

So far, Reid has taken most of his snaps with the second team as a defensive end.

"He's fighting for a position," Coach George O'Leary said. "I think he's a smart guy who knows what he's doing ."

Center of focus

Although junior Cedric Gagne-Marcoux is at the top of the depth chart at center , his backup remains a mystery.

O'Leary said that sophomore Kyle Smith, true freshman Ian Bustillo, and red-shirt freshman Mike Lavoie are all candidates.

Etc.

Inclement weather forced Friday afternoon's practice into the Nicholson Fieldhouse for the fifth time in six days. . . . . WR Brooks Turner was back practicing while FB Shane Smith was held out because of a high ankle sprain.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

The indoor facility is proving to be quite the asset in the lightning high area.