• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gene Coleman fails to qualify

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Bien, I like what you have to say about Moffett.  That is what the defense sorely needs.

I hope the DL has beefed up and that those weights are real.  Seems like published reports have a way of adding 10-15 lbs over what they weigh in reality.  I agree that big isn't always better, but inexperience and undersized is a bad combination when facing Big East competition and OL's like WV, Pitt, Louisville.  I'd feel better if Searcy and Chance were still here to provide depth.

I'm just going to worry about the D until they show improvement on the field.  I think the pieces are there this year for a return to form (Jones boys back), but until they show it, I'm still skeptical.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien
Bien, I like what you have to say about Moffett.  That is what the defense sorely needs.

I hope the DL has beefed up and that those weights are real.  Seems like published reports have a way of adding 10-15 lbs over what they weigh in reality.  I agree that big isn't always better, but inexperience and undersized is a bad combination when facing Big East competition and OL's like WV, Pitt, Louisville.  I'd feel better if Searcy and Chance were still here to provide depth.

I'm just going to worry about the D until they show improvement on the field.  I think the pieces are there this year for a return to form (Jones boys back), but until they show it, I'm still skeptical.

Obviously you're not a subscriber to bullseye, but I will direct you to the website and a link.  I believe this was the first day pics that they provided which are free to the public.

Look at Clay, and Clebert, those two book ends my friend.  Look at Tim Jones, he makes Johnny Jones look like a dwarf.

http://usf.rivals.com/feature.asp?SID=1074&FeKey=8566

Eric Thomas is in the second row #50.  There are other pics on other websites that show his lower body, you see his legs and ass are like tree trunks, he's taller, broader and thicker than Royal who's around 255-250lbs.  There was another pic that showed his arms are much bigger, and the legs are no comparison.

Tim Jones has said he's over 280lbs, and in the pics I've seen he looks every bit of it.

I am with you on being skeptical.  I also wish Curtis Chance was still around, Searcy was moved to OG so this doesn't effect us, but I think we've got OK size along the DL.   We're definitely not smaller than we were in the two deep last year.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Moffit is listed at 235... Brouce is listed at 220... anyone remember that pic of Brouce a week or so ago where his quads were the size of my waist??  you can do the math

238308.jpg  

found it....

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

I am a member of Bullseye, and have been keeping up with the photos.  I just can't tell how much these guys weigh from the pics.   ;D

That picture of Brouce is awesome.  I'm looking forward to seeing him in action!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Coach Frey is freaking King Kong in those pics!  ...No helmets either?

Guest S.  Bien
I am a member of Bullseye, and have been keeping up with the photos.  I just can't tell how much these guys weigh from the pics.   ;D

That picture of Brouce is awesome.  I'm looking forward to seeing him in action!

Uhh, let's see Jake,  it's real simple.

Cray is listed at 295lbs, and Clebert is every bit the man he is, in those pictures and many others.  WE all know that our football program is notorious for not updating weights and usually keeping them at the spot where they were when they were freshmen, like Clebert's 275lbs.  He and Cray are bookends, and if Cray is 295lbs, Clebert is at least that!  Look at Frank Davis, the official data has him at 330lbs, he's a beast, but the website at 310lbs.

As for Tim Jones, well I am 215lbs, and this guy was every bit of the 275lbs they had him listed at this spring.  He claims to have grown to 285lbs, and basically it's probably difficult to discern the difference between 275 and 285lbs, but the kid is huge, and if he added 10lbs of muscle then I'll believe it.

I stood next to Woody George in practices this spring.  He wasn't 255lbs, Terrance Royal is around 250lbs, and Woody George is much bigger.  I think you'll find Thomas, George, and Tavarious Robinson all weigh north of 270lbs, how far north, and what's the exact weight is probably difficult to discern particularly after two-a-days.

Guest S.  Bien

If George is the 275lbs they say then Cray certainly is the 295lbs.  I've never known gousfbulls to fudge weights on the plus side, just the minus side. ???

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Getting back to Coleman, he was only ONE hour short!

USF: Linebacker ineligible

TAMPA - As was the case in 2003, linebacker Gene Coleman failed to qualify academically and won't play this fall. Coleman will take classes at Hillsborough Community College after falling one hour short of his associate of arts degree at Pearl River Community College, according to his coach there, Tim Hatten.

"This will actually do him a world of good," Hatten said. "He can treat this like a redshirt year, and I think it's the best thing for Gene Coleman and for USF."

Coleman, once thought to be a key addition, transferred with 55 of the 60 necessary credit hours. Hatten said Coleman left Pearl River at 253 pounds and will work to reach a target weight of 225-230. Coach Jim Leavitt said his staff had been resigned to not getting Coleman, who can enroll in January with two years of eligibility.

"We didn't think he would (qualify)," Leavitt said. "He wouldn't have been ready to play this year. He wasn't in nearly good enough shape. But it'll come down to Gene getting his schoolwork done. He's got to do the work."

HOW HOT: Leavitt and Dr. Eric Coris, director of USF's Sports Medicine Institute, are expected to be part of a segment on Monday's Good Morning America, which will look at new technological advances to help limit the risk of heat exhaustion in athletes. Ten linemen took a special pill Friday that can transmit body temperature readings to trainers.

- GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/08/13/Sports/FSU_puts_on_the_pads_.shtml