• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Times writer doing USF athletics story

Guest Nick Margiasso

Guest Nick Margiasso

Hey folks, I'm doing a Bulls story for an upcoming tbt* issue based on our new move to the Big East that will touch on our teams (mostly football and basketball) and be kind of a get-to-know your Bulls now that they're "big time". It'll be about our little traditions and fanbase and stuff like that, and I need some Alumni voices to make it work. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sounding off about our school's sports and traditions and hopes and dreams and so on. I'll check the responses to this post and work something out with those folks interested through phone or email. Mine is nmargiasso@sptimes.com. I appreciate the help, and really hope everyone's got their fingers crossed that we have some semblence of a quarterback, give Dre 30+ carries per and let Mr. Peyton running up and down the field all year. Fast.

See ya

NM

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Nick,

Regarding USF tradition, I think the story angle there would be that we are building tradition as we speak.  USF really hasn't been known for any accomplishments in athletics to speak of.  Starting what has been a pretty successful football program is really the catalyst that has laid the foundation for tradition.   Now all we have to do is build it.

Jim.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  112

I agree that we are in the process of building a tradition.   I believe that in order to be successful there must be more fans at games (including students) to establish a home court/field advantage.  Its pretty ridiculous looking at attendance numbers in comparison with the number of students that currently attend USF, and the number of alumni in the area.   And the excuse about the large number of commuters is a cop out.  I love the Bulls, and when I was a student I went to almost every game.  If we establish a following and home court advantage then the team will improve and a tradition will be established.  Think of how a recruit feels when they show up to watch a game and the stands are close to empty.  

As far as moving games to the SPT Forum, that is the worst idea I have heard.  It will disconnect the team from the students on campus and be more of a neutral arena, because we all know there are a lot of fair weather fans in the area that will go to root for the UCONNs of the world.  

The best way to build the program is by attention and a fan following.  This means attendance and coverage in the local media (Thanks for writing on them Nick).  Obviously our hopes and dreams are a National Championship, but that is a going to take time.  What we need is to do is represent during nationally televised games, with some upsets and a strong presence in the stands.  Once the national attention grows, fans grow, and recruits will be more interested.

Out

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

BTW, how do i change my status as freshman to alumni??

thanks

By staying the site and making lots of posts!  That status is about experience on the site, not at USF.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Nick, I'm emailing you now...

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

As far as moving games to the SPT Forum, that is the worst idea I have heard.  It will disconnect the team from the students on campus and be more of a neutral arena, because we all know there are a lot of fair weather fans in the area that will go to root for the UCONNs of the world.

Not sure how long you've been away but the team is NOT connected to a great portion the students on campus now and moving a game, possibly two, a year should not do that much damage. There ARE basketball fans who would come just to see UConn but a good showing by the Bulls may just swing some our way. I just don't think it's THAT big a risk moving a game or two down there ........

Guest BasketBull.
BTW, how do i change my status as freshman to alumni??

thanks

$$$$ ----> Bulliever or the site!  ;D

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Want write some some USF traditions?

Well if you do....you are "going to want include that cowbell."

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

Traditions have to come from the students/fans, they can't be conjured and "planned" by the athletic department.  It has to come from the heart and become 'something that we just do'.

"Traditions" will take care of themselves when more and more fans are brought into the Bull Nation, no doubt about it.

Let's make "winning" be the first tradition and the others will come.