• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I have a dream (a scoreboard dream)!

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Hoosiers to get $2 million scoreboard

scoreboardsample.jpg

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) -- A $2 million basketball scoreboard will provide replays, statistics and, for the first time, advertising in Indiana University's Assembly Hall.

The university's athletic department has run budget deficits in recent years, but the new scoreboard is expected to bring in $250,000 a year in advertising revenue, athletic director Rick Greenspan said.

[...]

The athletic department's deficit was about $5.1 million last spring.

(Yeah, but what are you going to do! Looking good takes $$$ )  8)

CNNSI Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

Mike Lewis and I spoke about this during the season. I think the Sun Dome has some complications because of the design. Those big bars that hang has something to do with not being able to support a large scoreboard. Wouldn't it be nice to sit in the Dome and have instant replay!!  Also the bucks$$ it could bring in "ad dollars" would be nice!!

Guest dream bird

A scoreboard would be nice and it will happen, but I'd rather have a competitive team.  If we sell the dome out a few times and mayber avg. 5k a game then we'll get what we need.  Maybe we'll try to do it the right way and not go 6 mil in debt.  Lets not comare us to UF, FSU, orINDIANA.  Lets get it going without excuses and lets start it now.   Lets make our own traditions and succeed that way.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

They ought to just rip out a few hundred seats in Level 3, which they never sell anyway, and put up some "end zone" scoreboards. I don't think the Sun Dome roof can support an overhanging scoreboard. When they built the old roof to stay up with air pressure, it meant you couldn't really hang anything from it or the roof would sag. So there aren't any built-in crossbeams holding up the new roof.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

I think the Sun Dome has some complications because of the design. Those big bars that hang has something to do with not being able to support a large scoreboard.

I find that hard to believe considering we have the same arena and the same roof structure as UF. I've sat on the 3rd level there and the sightlines to the court and the center scoreboard didn't seem that bad.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

One more light bulb goes out on the scoreboards we have now and you will need folks hanging numbers over the boards to keep track of the score.  Could be interesting.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  486

Looking at our scoreboard makes we want to play Lite Brite.  Where are those darn missing pegs?