• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trying to get an update for your...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

...DL with the possiblity of McCulloch(sp?) leaving the program...

What does a 2 or 3 deep depth chart look like now for DL?

How many guys do you have that are 280 pounds or more?

How many returning DL do you have with experience and how much?

Thanks for the information.

Is it football season yet?  :-/

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,845
  • Days Won:  22

I dont think he was in 2 deep. Im just guessing since im a lot will depend on the Fall. But

Starters:

Tim Jones SR.

sat out last year moves from DE was 6'3 275 probably more by Fall started 11 games in 02

Allen Cray So

started 5 games as fr last year, 6'0 265

Also

Richard Clebert So

played as a fr last year  6'1 295

Eric Thomas So

6'3 265

Also Tavarious Robinson Jr 6'4 255

Woody George So 6'3 250 could be moved in.

A lot of the weights could be off since they were from last year. You could always have Searcy at 6'3 290 move back to DT if needed.

Lot of people put too much emphasis on weight, McCollough was our heaviest guy but wasnt getting more action. Cray at 265 FR was playing. Is more about quickness and strength to keep guys from moving you out of the area.

USC is the national champ and they dont have any DT that weighs over 300

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

I am kinda hoping they do not move Searcy back to DT for our game anyway. :)

He is a pretty good athlete on both sides of the ball and would give some depth at DT.

WEll if he hasnt been moved back to DT by that game it means that he is NOT needed there. Our D will be a lot better than last years.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Our D will be a lot better than last years.

cold they be any worse?

hopefully that will be the worst bulls defense ever....

Guest S.  Bien
I dont think he was in 2 deep. Im just guessing since im a lot will depend on the Fall. But

Starters:

Tim Jones SR.

sat out last year moves from DE was 6'3 275 probably more by Fall started 11 games in 02

Allen Cray So

started 5 games as fr last year, 6'0 265

Also

Richard Clebert So

played as a fr last year  6'1 295

Eric Thomas So

6'3 265

Also Tavarious Robinson Jr 6'4 255

Woody George So 6'3 250 could be moved in.

A lot of the weights could be off since they were from last year. You could always have Searcy at 6'3 290 move back to DT if needed.

Lot of people put too much emphasis on weight, McCollough was our heaviest guy but wasnt getting more action. Cray at 265 FR was playing. Is more about quickness and strength to keep guys from moving you out of the area.

USC is the national champ and they dont have any DT that weighs over 300

Tim's bigger than 275lbs, how much bigger is up for question but I'd bet he'll easily be around 290lbs by the fall if not bigger.  Tim knows his access to the NFL hinges at DT, and he needs to do that at a decent size.   Cray was 265lbs coming in, and I bet he's much larger from standing next him and other players that are supposedly bigger than 265lbs but again our program doesn't like to update weights many times guys stay on the team for four years and Leavitt never adjusts their size from what they were listed at coming out of HS.  I know for a fact that Tavarious Robinson was 275lbs in the spring not the 255lbs listed.  Josh Julmiste is around 255lbs per an exact quote to me from Coach Lane, and they want him around 265-270lbs by the fall- the website still has him at 220lbs.  

For example, last year every OL was over 300lbs, per interviews with our S&C manager, and some excerpts from the coaches.  However, the programs and website still had Carothers at 295lbs, but everyone said he was 310lbs, Sarosi was listed at 295lbs, and he was supposedly 315lbs.  Frank Davis is easily 320lbs++ and they still have him listed at 310lbs.  

This is just a perspective for our visiting Knight.  Don't judge our DL, or OL by what you read on the internet or in a program because our staff is notorious for not giving updated weight, height, or strength.   I don't know if it's because they think it gives them an edge or helps with confidence but that's just been their tact in this department.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  242

I'm sorry to see McCullough go but I have been very disappointed in his lack of growth and development and he certainly did not perform up to expectations or potential.  I closely watched him last year (and was personally pulling for the guy to succeed) but when finally got PT,  he was slow off the ball. I wish him the best of luck.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The staff may not update the weight stats, but that doesn't mean our defense isn't small.  It was apparent last year that we were getting shoved around pretty well.  My girlfriend who knows nothing about FB even noticed how small we looked on TV.  Wasn't it Pitt who told the Sheriff that our Defense better "hit the weights".

Actually it was UAB, who said that and they lost. Starting so many young players you know they are going to get bigger as time goes by BUT once again is more than just weight as i stated earlier USC's DT's are all less than 300lbs. As one of our coaches told me once our defense is built around speed NOT mass.Now that doesnt mean they need to get stronger but dont just get fixated on their weights.

Guest S.  Bien

Cuban's right, and in our defense the DL are not going to be big fat oafs.  They're called on to do lots of stunting, movement, and drop backs.   They're called to cover the line, log jam it, and get to the QB.  It requires an athlete not a fat guy to just jam the line.   This was part of the problem with McCollough.  In HS he got by on sheer size but in college it required much more and he wasn't willing to give it.  

Last year's problem was MUCH, MUCH more than size, or getting bigger.  In fact, that's a bunch of horse crap because often with Searcy, LRS Jr., and Battle we were larger than our opposition's DT, and much bigger than we were in 2003.   The problems stemmed from no pass rush, bad attitudes, bad techniques, a Free Safety that had awful technique and attitude who weighed about a buck seventy-five soaked, a strong safety that was a true freshman and weighed about a buck eighty without pads.  Throw-in no true MLB, a bunch of young LB's still working on technique and positioning, no leadership on the field to help guide the youngsters.  Hell there were times we had goal-lined stands that we almost out weighed the opposition with Searcy, McCollough, Battle, and LRS, but it was technique, poor tackling, and heart that usually stymied the opportunity.

Man, if getting bigger and stronger was our only problem in 2004 that we needed to correct on defense I wouldn't be so **** worried heading into this season.