• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What a surprise... Steinbrenner pissed again!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3663064

Upset Steinbrenner wants answers

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Looking for answers after a historic sweep at the hands of the worst team in baseball, an upset George Steinbrenner held a conference call Friday with New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman and manager Joe Torre.

Torre said it has become an increasingly rare occurrence in recent seasons for The Boss to include him in such discussions, but this was a rare situation.

"It's happened a number of times, but not in recent times," Torre said Friday before the Yankees opened a three-game series against the Minnesota Twins. "This was sticking to why we're having a tough time. All of the same questions I ask myself.

"He was unhappy. If I tried to tell you anything other than that, you'd be questioning if I was telling you the truth, and I'm not going to lie to you."

New York (27-26) has lost five games in a row, including an embarrassing three-game sweep by the lowly Kansas City Royals, just the third time in the Yankees' storied history that they've been swept in three games by a team with the worst record in the majors, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Steinbrenner participated on the call from Florida, with Torre and Cashman in Minneapolis.

Torre and Cashman characterized the call as a "state-of-the-team" discussion and said no decisions were made at the conclusion.

"I didn't feel any better because we were talking about all the bad things that have happened," Torre said. "We talked about individuals and my feeling that the pitching is really the key for us. Why we're not hitting is everybody's mystery. It's something you just have to fight your way out of. We didn't solve anything."

Cashman said he holds regular discussions with Steinbrenner about the team, but agreed it was rare for Torre to be included.

"It was good for him to hear from Joe," Cashman said. "(Steinbrenner) is no less happy than anyone else here."

Particularly Torre, who held a closed-door meeting Wednesday after the $200 million Yankees dropped their second game in a row to the Royals.

Torre said he takes much of the responsibility for the team's recent struggles and was completely befuddled by the veteran group's seemingly fragile confidence.

"I'm accountable," Torre said. "I'm the manager and I'm in charge. This obviously is something that I need to find an answer for. It's up to me to find a way to make this thing start working again."

The demanding Steinbrenner was obviously upset after watching the team with the highest payroll in baseball get swept by a ragtag group of journeymen and youngsters in Kansas City.

"He's put up a lot of money to put this kind of a ballclub in our dugout," Torre said. "This isn't the results that should be accompanying that."

As soon as he heard about the call, Torre knew it wasn't going to be a pleasant conversation. Torre has gotten used to outbursts from Steinbrenner during his 10 years in New York. When the Yankees are winning, their owner wants them to win bigger, and when they are losing, look out.

"It's a long season and George isn't a very patient man and we understand that," Torre said. "In dealing with George, when you lose and you're supposed to be winning, it's not a happy time. But when you win, he's constantly driving you to improve, so the tone doesn't change much."

Torre did say he hoped Steinbrenner, who has a reputation for firing employees in a heartbeat, would exercise a little bit of restraint and keep his staff intact while it tries to right the ship.

"We hope we can continue as far as work-wise," Torre said. "Results-wise, we want to change that."

No timelines were set, no ultimatums issued. Just a stern reminder that the Yankees are held to a higher standard.

"A week ago, we had won 16 of 18 and now we've lost five straight," Cashman said. "Trying to make sense of this tough game of baseball isn't always easy. ... Everyone is doing everything they possibly can to turn things around."