• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt praises play at workout

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt praises play at workout

By THOMAS SIMONETTI

Published April 3, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - USF held its first official scrimmage of the spring Saturday and coach Jim Leavitt seemed pleased.

"A lot of guys did a lot of good things. It's hard to tell (who stood out) until you see the film," Leavitt said of the workout that began at 9 a.m. and lasted approximately three hours, with the first- and second-team offenses taking on the first- and second-team defenses, respectively, for more than a hundred snaps.

Among the players Leavitt said impressed him were the running backs and the kickers.

"(Starting running back) Andre Hall looked good," Leavitt said. "(Backup) Ricky Ponton looked good and (backup) Chad Simpson looked good. They all did some nice things."

Leavitt praised two players who have switched positions since they came to USF: defensive back Louis Gachette and defensive end Josh Julmiste.

Gachette, the third-string quarterback last season, moved to free safety. Julmiste moved to defensive end from tight end last season.

Leavitt said the Bulls will work out Tuesday and Wednesday. The team's second scrimmage is at 9 a.m. Saturday.

COACHING CLINIC: A coach's clinic featuring Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and the USF coaching staff is scheduled for Friday and Saturday at USF.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/03/Sports/Leavitt_praises_play_.shtml

I'm surprised there isn't more coverage of the first scrimmage as in past years. I didn't see an article on it in the Tribune.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Yes...the Trib has been lame in covering us. I think it must be a beat writer problem.  Looks like the Gaytors and Holes are getting more than enough.  The Trib is lame.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Yes...the Trib has been lame in covering us. I think it must be a beat writer problem.  Looks like the Gaytors and Holes are getting more than enough.  The Trib is lame.

Actually, the media got itself banned from practice. One of the local papers (not the Trib) thought it was appropriate to interrupt practice, as a result everyone suffered. That was probably the final straw considering the sensationalized and/or negative things written in the paper the last several months.

Combine this with Leavitt not particularly liking to deal with the media and it all results with little USF coverage this Spring.

IMO, so be it. Leavitt's job is to focus on getting his team ready to step up into the BE this Fall, not answer stupid questions from the media.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

If that's the case, can the SID at least make info. available to the fans on the official athletics page??

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Gachette, the third-string quarterback last season, moved to free safety.

I think this move shows what the coaches really BULLieve in the 2 Fr QB's.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

WOOO HOOO!!!  LOL

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

If that's the case, can the SID at least make info. available to the fans on the official athletics page??

Good point...

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

They did one for the second scrimmage last year, so hopefully they'll do it again this year.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

It drives me crazy when Leavitt says...

"A lot of guys did a lot of good things"

Or...

"They all did some nice things."

What the hell does that mean?  Did they collectively volunteer in a soup kitchen this week?  Or maybe they earned a merit badge by helping an old lady across the street?  Use your words Jimbo...elaborate.  Sorry its just a pet peeve of mine.

Oh by the way, I did some good things this week too, I coached my little league team, and volunteered at the food bank.  Just in case CJL wants to mention it at his next interview.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Nobody from any newspaper interrupted any practice, so not sure where that came from. Leavitt initially had practice completely open, then decided in the first week that practice would be open for the first half-hour and the final 15 minutes, as it was at the start of last fall.

greg