• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

KINGSTON REFLECTS ON USF MAKING PROGRAM HISTORY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

KINGSTON REFLECTS ON USF MAKING PROGRAM HISTORY

May 10, 2017 
By  USF

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, MAY 10, 2017 – No. 23 USF is the talk of the college baseball world after making program history in Gainesville.

Head coach Mark Kingston's Bulls were named the D1Baseball.com team of the day after upsetting No. 5 Florida, 15-10, on Tuesday night before a crowd of 3,114 at McKethan Stadium. USF has knocked off both FSU and UF on the road this season, which is a program first.  It's also the first time the Bulls have defeated the Seminoles and Gators in a season since 1989.

PPJHMBIGVRQNASB.20170510184747.jpg

Watching his team from the dugout at practice Wednesday afternoon, Kingston talked about how things are all coming together for the Bulls. USF has won its past six games to get to 38-10 overall this season.

“I just think last night continued to show the proof of our progress,” he said. “We're getting better on the mound, we're getting better offensively and we're really turning into the team we thought we could be. I think our performance last night symbolizes all of that.”

USF definitely showed it can be a force to reckon with at the plate against the Gators (35-14). USF scored its second-most runs ever against Florida with eight extra-base hits, including three homers. Catcher Joe Genord hit two out of the park and drove in four runs, while patient USF forced a season-high 17 walks.

“Last night was kind of the perfect offensive night for us,” Kingston said. “It was a combination of if you don't get your pitch, take your walks and if you do get your pitch, hammer it. Last night was perfect for how we try to approach a game.”

BXZDOFZEFSPUJUS.20170510184807.jpg

USF started its season sweep of FSU and UF by surrendering just two runs in the win over the then-No. 3 Seminoles in Tallahassee back on Feb. 21. FreshmanD.J. Roberts helped put the Bulls in position for another colossal win against the Gators, allowing just two earned runs in seven innings Tuesday night.

Leaving Gainesville with a win helped USF move up to 19 in the RPI and improved the Bulls to 7-1 against RPI top-50 opponents this year. It also showed USF is fully capable of competing with top programs in college baseball in tough environments.

“I think we're to the point now where we feel like we can play with anybody,” Kingston said. “If we play our best baseball, we can beat anybody. We respect the game, we respect our opponents but with that being said, I think we have a lot of confidence in the strides we've made.”

Aside from chasing after a conference championship, USF is working toward earning a chance to host an NCAA Regional for the first time in program history.

“I think it's great,” Kingston said. “I think it shows our program is starting to get national respect and all the hard work our coaches and players have put in, people are starting to notice.”

USF's next order of business is a conference series at UConn that begins Friday at 3 p.m. At 12-6 in league play, the Bulls enter the second-to-last weekend of the regular season with a one-game lead in The American standings.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211591908#.WRNjhkbigWs.twitter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

“Last night was kind of the perfect offensive night for us,” Kingston said. “It was a combination of if you don't get your pitch, take your walks and if you do get your pitch, hammer it. Last night was perfect for how we try to approach a game.”

I heard Kingston speak about hitting and his philosophy at a coaches conference the winter before his first spring. I personally took a lot from it and remember thinking that if he can get this going we will be very strong. Well, here we are.