• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Opens Spring Ball

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

did santiago really impress that much?  it seems to me he gave us one solid year and that was his last....  I know grammatica's and Jim are tight but jeez jim, the qb situation should be number 1 concern!

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

You read a thread like this and it becomes clear how Smazza got his 26821+ posts...

Guest S.  Bien
You read a thread like this and it becomes clear how Smazza got his 26821+ posts...

I know I can be wordy at times, but I also subscribe to the thinking that it's better to keep your mouth shut and let them think your an idiot instead of opening your mouth and proving them right.

That adage applies even more on these boards.  I am not implying Steve's dumb, or hasn't provided something meaningful at times, however among those nearly 27,000 posts are a majority of worthless, and meaningless interjections.   The less traveled visitors or board members might not think one of those posts is indicative of him- which sometimes isn't to endearing.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  0

OK...so a long snapper isnt the biggest concern....but just ask the NY Giants how important a LS is...and we need one really bad...

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

OK...so a long snapper isnt the biggest concern....but just ask the NY Giants how important a LS is...and we need one really bad...

I wonder if Leavitt even knows that OT Marten Towe was also the long snapper for his team in Hamburg.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

sounds like buyer's remorse

Probably because the current kickers are not up to par, which means he's hanging his hat on a freshman.  No matter how good the kids look in HS, putting them in as starters WITHOUT other options can't make you feel good.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I don't think we would have given Benzer a scholarship if he had faith in the two walk-ons.

Flashback:

Posted on Tue, Aug. 03, 2004

COLLEGE FOOTBALL SOUTH FLORIDA BULLS

Palmetto grad trying to get his kicks at USF

Justin Teachey is 1-of-2 walk-on kickers hoping to eventually replace Santiago Gramatica

EMERY SKOLFIELD

Herald Staff Writer

PALMETTO - With a Gramatica brother etched ahead of him on the depth chart, Justin Teachey has time to acquaint himself with kicking footballs at the college level.

Santiago Gramatica, the brother of flamboyant NFL kickers Martin and Bill, is the senior incumbent placekicker at the University of South Florida and would have to fall off drastically to relinquish the role this fall.

But that won't keep Teachey, a spring Palmetto High graduate and USF preferred walk-on, from preparing to one day be Gramatica's replacement.

"There's another freshman (walk-on Kyle Bronson of Tampa Wharton) coming in, and it looks like next year, it'll be between me and him," said Teachey, who will head Sunday to Tampa and begin fall workouts the following day. "Whoever wins will get the scholarship."

The 5-foot-10, 165-pound Gramatica has struggled at times for USF and last season made 12-of-20 field goals and 30-of-31 extra-point attempts. In three seasons, he has converted 59.6 percent of his field goal attempts (31-of-52) and 88.6 percent of PATs (109-of-123). Justin Geisler, also a senior, has handled the team's kickoff duties the past three years.

"They way (Teachey) is kicking right now, I think he has a real good chance of going up and doing well," said Dustin Dahlquist, Teachey's kicking and soccer coach at Palmetto. "We've been kicking anywhere from extra-points out to 50 or 60 yards, and he's making about 90 percent."

Despite converting all 23 of his PATs, making 8-of-11 field goals - including a 46-yarder - and putting 92 percent of his kickoffs into the end zone, Teachey was an unknown commodity last fall.

Only a handful of smaller schools, including NCAA Division II Fort Valley (Ga.) State, showed interest in the 6-foot-2, 170-pounder, with curiosity trickling in only after his senior season ended.

But a South Florida assistant attending the Police Athletic League (PAL) Bowl senior all-star game in December was impressed with Teachey's leg and kept in touch. When a possible preferred walk-on opportunity with the University of Florida never materialized, Teachey decided on USF.

Now Teachey, who had surgery Jan. 29 to repair torn ligaments in his left (non-kicking) knee - an injury he suffered playing soccer - is working on the minor changes that come at the college level. Tees are not allowed on field goals. Kickoffs are five yards longer.

"He's actually a lot stronger with his legs than he was before the injury," said Dahlquist, who has been working with Teachey over the summer. "I think he's actually a better kicker. He's more consistent."

Teachey is one of four Manatee County players on USF's roster, along with junior wide receiver Travis Lipp (Southeast), redshirt freshman cornerback Mike Jenkins (Southeast), and freshman linebacker C.J. Hunnicutt (Manatee).