• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thank you St Pete Times.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

....for essentially ignoring USF making national news on the hardwood and spending you effort digging up old news. It's a good thing you are our official newspapers b/c I shudder to think otherwise.

The Tribune hasn't been our best friend recently but at least they recognized the importance of the win last night to get one of their columnists to write up a story. The Late Pete Times should take lessons.

I wouldn't clean up my dogs piss with your rag.

Good day.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

You might not like the St Pete Times for many reasons but they DID have a decent game story:

College basketball

USF pulls off huge upset

The Bulls top No. 18 Charlotte, their first win over a ranked team in more than a decade.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published March 6, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Before Saturday's game, USF's starting trio of Terrence Leather, Brian Swift and Marlyn Bryant had all the usual souvenirs of Senior Night, with framed pictures, basketballs autographed by the team and bouquets of flowers for their mothers.

Two hours later, they left with a truly memorable keepsake, ending their home careers in jubilation as the Bulls upset No. 18 Charlotte with a rousing 85-73 victory.

"This is what we've been dreaming about doing for a long time," said Leather, who had a game-high 24 points and 12 rebounds. "I'm just glad for Marlyn, Swift and Brandon (Brigman), to just go out on top, to leave the Sun Dome on top, I'm happy for them."

One of the biggest upsets in USF's history, the win is the Bulls' first against a team ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 since 1992 against Tulane. Twice since 1998, the Bulls have beaten teams ranked in the coaches' poll, but never with the emotion and excitement of Saturday's finale.

"I think this will be remembered for a long time," said Bryant, who threw himself into the stands twice chasing loose balls and finished with a double-double. "We were supposed to place last (in conference), and people didn't think we'd get any wins. In all actuality, nobody thought we'd be where we are tonight."

A crowd of 3,988 savored the final seconds, and much of the student section stormed the court, with players running back into the arena to join them. Swift was carried off his home court for the last time on the shoulders of his fans.

"To win against those type odds, on Senior Night, what a way to send your seniors off," said coach Robert McCullum, whose team hadn't beaten a team with a winning record all season.

USF (12-15, 5-11) trailed 7-0 but stormed back to lead 22-15, and its seniors scored 26 of the Bulls' first 28 points. They weren't the only contributors, however, as when the Bulls closed the half on a 13-3 run to lead 41-28 at the break, underclassmen accounted for all the scoring in that run.

"They played with great passion, the way you'd expect a team to play on Senior Night," Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz said. "They just weren't going to be denied."

Charlotte (21-6, 12-4) rallied back from a 17-point second-half deficit, getting three 3-pointers from guard Brendan Plavich in a span of 84 seconds. USF's lead was 52-46 with 14:36 to play and three key Bulls had four fouls each, including Leather.

USF started the night thin, with starting guard Collin Dennis out with a toe injury and Brigman sidelined by a knee injury early in the game. The foul trouble would get worse, with four players with four fouls with 6:03 to play. After center Solomon Jones and Marius Prekevicius fouled out, USF had six players left for the final 2:34, including two with four fouls.

Charlotte cut the lead to 77-73 with 1:50 to play, but Bryant got two offensive rebounds and scored on a putback to put the Bulls up six with 1:20 left, then went 4-for-4 at the line in the final minute to put the game away.

"Outside of us, we don't think anybody thought we could win this game, or even keep it close, let alone beat them by double digits," said Swift, who scored 19 points and had six assists.

USF now goes to Memphis for the C-USA tournament, where the Bulls will have the 11th seed and open play Wednesday against sixth-seeded Houston, which beat USF 68-50 three weeks ago.

"I can't think of a better way to go to Memphis," McCullum said. "To win over a top 20 team, in the final home game for your seniors. The way they did it, I can't think of a better way."

[Last modified March 6, 2005, 00:15:13]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/06/Sports/USF_pulls_off_huge_up.shtml

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Nothing wrong with the game story, but considering they are the official newspaper for USF I was expecting a column commerating the event.  The fact is that they do this all the time.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Nothing wrong with the game story, but considering they are the official newspaper for USF I was expecting a column commerating the event.  The fact is that they do this all the time.

Plus, in the Tampa edition, the story was on page 9 with no pictures except a small one on the page 1 teaser! Was the story on page 1 on the Pinellas side?

On a related rant, I realize that the Times is financially supporting USF but would it be too much to ask to have their beat writer go to the away games?? Hopefully, Greg will be at the CUSA tourney ...

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442

Orlando slantnel----Gators

St Pete times--------Gators

Tampa tribune------Gators

Wish it wasn't that way, but it is.  Neither of our schools get the due recognition we deserve.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Wish it wasn't that way, but it is.  Neither of our schools get the due recognition we deserve.

That MAY have been a good thing this year (UCF football/USF Bball)

;)

Guest S.  Bien

It's been that way because only UF has a School of Journalism in the State of FL.  UF spent many long hours and years lobbying against any state school getting a journalism school and for that what we all get are all these state rags infiltrated with Gator guys as their sports editors and writers.  No disrespect to the individual writers, but back in the early days of the 60-80's when we were all governed by one BOT the Gators made sure no one could add the schools and programs they have, which is the reason many of us have had to create so many ambigious majors.

Why do you think the Gators lead all headlines in every major state paper regardless of it's location.  They've been feeding this state's journalism market for the past 50 years.  

Isn't it odd that the Times wrote this article which gave a sterling review of UF, and casted Urban Meyer as a renaissance man with his desire to do background searches.  They conveniently left out that Urban Meyer corresponded with an ex Utah player that was in jail as a felon, and allowed him back on the team, at which time he helped Utah to it's 12-0 record.  I'm not discounting Urban's attempt to rehabilitate, or his desire to be an appropriate mentor for a mis-guided individual but it seems rather convenient that the fact he has allowed previous felons back on his teams was overlooked, or shall we say conveniently not mentioned.

Convenient, because until Urban loses 5 games in Gainesville he's looked upon as a God, and all the thousands of Gator Grad sports journalists that run amuck through our state rags are his disciples.  For the rest of the state Universities we simply battle our butts for recognition sometimes any recognition.

Guest wildrover

our school of mass comm has a concentration in journalism.  I think our mass comm is also ranked highest in the state.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420

our school of mass comm has a concentration in journalism.  I think our mass comm is also ranked highest in the state.

By Edgar Huang

May 7, 2004

The Department of Journalism and Media Studies at USF St. Petersburg is now accredited by the Accrediting Council in Education and Journalism and Mass Communications.

The council's approval came on April 30 at its meeting in Cambridge, Mass.

"Accreditation says we've stood up to a very rigorous inspection and assessment," said G. Michael Killenberg, director of the department.

"I'm very proud of our faculty, staff, students and alumni for helping us grow to the point that we were ready to be accredited," he said. "We all share credit for this landmark accomplishment."

The department becomes the first academic unit in the history of USF St. Petersburg to gain separate accreditation apart from USF Tampa.

Guest S.  Bien

Why do you think it was called "Mass Com" in the first place.  UF doesn't have a "Mass Communications" College.   They have a very strong Journalism school, many of the other state Universities through the years have been able to create a journalism 'major' but do not have a full college dedicated to its studies.

Achieve, that sounds interesting but I wonder how much is a true college exclusive for Journalism study and advancement.  

Regardless, UF's has been around for 50 years, and the reason we've got so many wonderful Gators writing stories across the state.