• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marquion Lane, WR Deland HS, Deland, FL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

This kid has a great offer sheet. UN, FSU, Ark, AZ, Mich St., UL, WVU, et al . Said it was down to us and FSU a while ago.He is fast and elusive and is going to be an awesome WR in college. Whoa the film is intense.

GA tweets

With DeLand RB JoJo Kemp committed, USF has stronger shot at his teammate, WR Marquion Lane. Bulls doing very well in Orlando area in 2013.

DeLand QB Lane moving around field

By Brian Linder, Staff writer

May 24, 2012 12:30 AM

mlane524-thumb-180xauto-31487.jpg

Marquion Lane

DELAND -- Marquion Lane is drawing flattering comparisons from some of college football's best.

The DeLand High junior said Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez likened him to Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson.

Most schools, though, see Lane as a wide receiver. He said the Georgia Bulldogs told him they think he can be their next A.J. Green, and the Miami Hurricanes compared him to Reggie Wayne.

"That makes me feel really good," said Lane, who plays quarterback, wide receiver and cornerback for the Bulldogs.

"That just lets me know that I'm doing really well with my routes and my receiving."

Lane, who played quarterback for DeLand last season, could get a chance to try out some of his new positions Friday, when the Bulldogs host Orlando Timber Creek in a spring game at Spec Martin Stadium.

He's looking forward to making plays in the secondary.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Lane said he models his game after 5-foot-9, 175-pound LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu.

"The Honey Badger," Lane said, referring to Mathieu's nickname. "My teammates have called me that a couple times when I've made plays, and when people call me that, I always make sure they are calling me that for a reason."

DeLand junior linebacker Lincoln Stewart does not see Mathieu in Lane yet, but he said there is no doubt his teammate is special.

"He is one of those players that you just look at and you're like, 'Man, he is definitely going to go somewhere,' " he said. "He is quick, tall, lanky, and he is not scared to hit you."

Lane's profile on the recruiting website Rivals.com lists him as a wide receiver. The highlight video attached to the profile, however, shows off an ultra-athletic, strong-armed quarterback, who can make teams pay with his arm -- he passed for 559 yards and six touchdowns last year -- as much as his fast feet. It is the type of skill set that could fit perfectly into Rodriguez's spread-option attack. It is also a display of athleticism that could pay big-time dividends at wide receiver or defensive back in college, and so there is some debate as to just where he may fit best at the next level.

"I think I will end up (in college) at receiver or corner," Lane said. "Most schools say receiver, corner or free safety."

Chris Nee, who covers the state of Florida for Rivals.com, thinks Lane projects best at receiver.

"He is a guy who is completely capable of playing quarterback," Nee said. "I just think he would excel at wide receiver.

"He is 6-1, 6-2 and 180. So, he has that big, physical presence on the outside, but he has the athleticism of a slot receiver. He does a good job of getting off the line and getting down the field. He has the capability of putting a foot in the ground and just immediately accelerating, and you love that. He just has that speed, quickness and burst."

DeLand head coach Al Manning believes Lane's transition to full-time wide receiver at the next level would not be difficult.

"I think the discipline of running routes and recognizing defenses would be it," Manning said. "He already understands defensive coverages and stuff like that. He has a pretty good foundation for that. He can do whatever he really wants to do."

Which is why the offers continue to pour in for Lane, who said he is around 18 verbals. That list includes Florida State and Miami.

The brother of Tennessee tailback Marlin Lane, Marquion is already a savvy veteran when it comes to talking recruiting. He said he will likely take his decision down to National Signing Day, but admitted he does like the Seminoles.

"I think about Florida State most of the time, but my eyes are still open," he said. "When I went up there for the spring game, they showed a lot of love. The coaches showed me how the family is down there, how the kids are and how the game was. I just liked how everything was. It was pretty nice."

http://www.news-jour...ound-field.html

FOR the really dedicated here are 12 game films from last year, enjoy. At least look at a sample.

http://www.hudl.com/...hlights/7981935

Edited by Bullwinkle