• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Danny Tolley Verbals to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I was hoping he would all along. Welcome aboard Danny!  ;D

Wesley Chapel star sold on Bulls

All-State OT Danny Tolley rewards USF's persistence with an early commitment.

By FRANK PASTOR, Times Staff Writer

Published January 15, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Tolley knew before he stepped on campus he would commit to South Florida.

He just didn't expect to announce it so soon.

But, finding himself face to face with coach Jim Leavitt during an official visit Friday, the Wesley Chapel lineman didn't know what else to do.

"He just came out and said, "Are you going?' " Tolley said. "I couldn't think of anything else to say."

Tolley orally committed to USF, which will join the Big East in the fall. The first-team Class 3A all-state offensive lineman plans to sign with the Bulls on Feb. 2, the first day high school seniors can sign a letter of intent.

USF had pursued Tolley for two years, offering the 6-foot-6, 300-pound tackle a full scholarship during his junior year. He considered South Carolina but canceled a visit after the Gamecocks' interest lagged in recent weeks.

In addition to USF, Tolley received offers from Central Florida, Florida International and Florida Atlantic.

"The big thing was the coaching staff," Tolley said. "Their recruiting and their just embracing me and wanting me. Their determination to recruit me was unbelieveable."

Tolley, who helped Wesley Chapel to 15 consecutive regular-season victories and two playoff berths during the past two seasons, should have a chance to compete for playing time right away because USF lost tackles Derrick Sarosi and Levi Newton to graduation.

But first, he planned to enjoy the rest of his visit.

After meeting with Leavitt, Tolley toured Raymond James Stadium on Friday. A StarShip dinner cruise, campus tour and team banquet also were planned.

"It's a great Christmas present for him," Wesley Chapel coach John Castelamare said. "I'm glad he made the decision now, and I'm sure South Florida's happy."

[Last modified January 15, 2005, 02:35:15

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/15/Sports/Wesley_Chapel_star_so.shtml

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's great.  I hope all the recruits had a great visit.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

6-6 300, MAN what an oline. if the new guys learn fast they could be better than this years group