• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nick Schuyler Book released on Tuesday...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

Book gives details into Nick Schuyler's rescue ordeal

Friday, February 26, 2010

E-mail this story | Print   

Notwithouthope.jpg--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- The lone survivor of a well-publicized Gulf of Mexico boating accident told his story last year on television.

Now it's being told again in a book.

Nick Schuyler spent two nights clinging to an overturned 21-foot fishing boat 70 miles out in the Gulf before being rescued.

His friends, Will Bleakley, 25, and NFL players Marquis Cooper, 26, and Corey Smith, 29 all died.

Schuyler, a former University of South Florida football player, is releasing 'Not Without Hope,' which chronicles the ill-fated trip.

The book is being released on March 2, the one-year anniversary of Schuyler's rescue.

More Information

Previous stories on Nick Schuyler

Original BN9.com story on the Gulf rescue (March 2, 2009)

The book, written with New York Times sportswriter Jere Longman, gives harrowing details about the ordeal. Schuyler previously has only talked about his experience when appearing on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.

In the book, Schuyler, now 25, says "I am no hero. Maybe if I had brought my friends back with me. At least one of them...or all of them.

"But I didn't. I tried; I gave it everything I had, but I couldn't. I'm only a survivor.'

On Wednesday, Nick's father Stuart told us the family cannot comment on the book until it's released.

He said looking back at the incident almost a year to the date it's "like it happened yesterday."

"We have our moments. Time has a way of healing. How do you explain it? It's almost like you lost your son," said Stuart Schuyler. "I'm happy he survived and he's getting better every day. I'm trying to look at all the positives, and hopefully good things will come of this."

Not everyone involved with the incident feels the same way as does Schuyler's family, at least not the wife of one of the boaters who died, Marquis Cooper.

Rebekah Cooper says Schuyler's accounts are "greatly exaggerated." She released this statement to our partners the St. Petersburg Times: "I have heard conflicting reports stemming from Mr. Schuyler of what happened. How is it that Mr. Schuyler has enough recollection and material to write a book?"

Schuyler's publicist has said online that since the tragedy, Schuyler has supported various charities through the Nick Schuyler Foundation.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/2/24/587149.html#

Archived