• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Class could set tone for Holtz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Class could set tone for Holtz

By SCOTT CARTER

scarter@tampatrib.com

Published: February 3, 2010

TAMPA - Skip Holtz sat in his East Carolina office talking to his wife, Jennifer, 20 days ago when the phone rang. It was University of South Florida president Judy Genshaft officially offering Holtz the opportunity to become the second football coach in school history.

Holtz said yes. By that evening, he was on USF's campus holding his first team meeting.

This afternoon, Holtz will receive his first grade as head Bull when the fax machine finally stops spitting out letters-of-intent from players in USF's 2010 recruiting class on National Signing Day.

USF's class stood at 18 Tuesday night, headed by Hillsborough High's Terrence Mitchell, ranked the seventh-best cornerback in the nation by Rivals.com. Mitchell originally made a verbal commitment to Florida State, but following a home visit from Holtz on Thursday, Mitchell changed his pledge.

The biggest question mark for USF today is whether Miami Central defensive tackle Todd Chandler will stick with his commitment. Chandler, rated the No. 67 prospect on the ESPNU 150, committed to Miami but he switched to USF several weeks ago. He later reportedly favored Louisville.

After visiting USF last weekend, Chandler had this to say on his cell phone's voice mail: "This is Todd Chandler (of) Miami Northwestern. If this is a reporter, I won't be answering any phone calls or doing any interviews until signing day. My recruiting process is over. I've narrowed it down to South Florida, Louisville, Syracuse and Colorado State."

Of course, as signing day has taught us over the years, that could mean Chandler is leaning toward Miami again.

Regardless of Chandler's decision, USF's class is ranked by Rivals.com and Scout.com no lower than 53rd nationally, a respectable showing considering Holtz replaced Jim Leavitt less than three weeks before signing day.

"In all due fairness to him, I think there is going to have to be some time given to the evaluation of what he is able to do (recruiting at USF)," said Tom Luginbill, ESPN's national recruiting director. "I just know this: This is a strong class, as was last year's. I think most of the time has been spent on evaluating it in regards to what fits best for them."

Besides Mitchell, the biggest news on the recruiting trail since Holtz took over was the Bulls pulling a scholarship offer to Bradenton Manatee quarterback Brion Carnes on Friday. The move didn't sit well with Manatee coach Joe Kinnan, but USF received a verbal commitment from LaGrange (Ga.) quarterback Jamius Gunbsy over the weekend to ease any doubt about replacing Carnes.

The Bulls also received a late commitment from Williston athlete Deonte Welch, who had committed to Arkansas, and continued to pursue Atlanta Westlake linebacker Michael Taylor, a Florida commitment, and Frostproof defensive back Nickell Robey, who was likely to commit to Southern California, as signing day approached.

Regardless of today's outcome, Holtz faced a difficult challenge.

"I think we'll find out more in the 2011 and 2012 classes as it pertains to Skip Holtz," Luginbill said. "What he has come in to and try to do with this class is evaluate it in regards to who is already verbally committed."

USF isn't the only state school trying to overcome coaching uncertainty. Most recruiting experts have Florida's incoming class ranked No. 1 in the nation, despite the turmoil created by Coach Urban Meyer's decision to quit, then stay.

Florida State, which transitioned from legendary coach Bobby Bowden to Jimbo Fisher, also is expected to land a top-10 class.

Reporter Scott Carter

can be reached at

(813) 731-8135.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/feb/03/sp-class-could-set-tone-for-holtz/

Archived