• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vernon Bush a Profile In Courage

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Wednesday, 05.27.09

SUAREZ/WALTER KRIETSCH COURAGE AWARD

Hallandale track star given courage award

Hallandale athlete Vernon Bush was honored for his return to the state track finals after a serious car accident.

BY FABIAN LYON

flyon@MiamiHerald.com

Vernon Bush rose from his chair, navigated some tables and strode with purpose to the Signature Grand stage on Wednesday morning.

The ovation, which grew with each stride, was for something much more significant than any race the Hallandale sprint star has won.

Bush was given the Leo Suarez/Walter Krietsch Courage Award at The Miami Herald's All-Broward Athletic Awards Breakfast for his inspirational return to the state track finals after sustaining a near-fatal car accident last September.

That Bush was even able to compete this season, much less advance to the state finals after finishing second in the District meet and fourth in the Regionals in the 100 meters, is a testament to his determination.

Bush was left with four broken ribs, a fractured vertebrae and a bruised shoulder after his car skidded on the drive to school with teammate Marquise Jackson and slammed into a pole.

''As I hit the brakes at the red light my car hydroplaned,'' Bush said. ``I hit a pole, and another car hit me from behind. They said they had to cut me out the car. I was in and out of consciousness.''

Having missed all but one game of the football season, the prospects of Bush recovering in time for track, was slim, at best. Still unable to walk on his own after two-plus weeks in the hospital, Bush returned to school with the use of a wheelchair.

''There was no way we thought Vernon would be back,'' Chargers track coach John Battle said. ``His ribs hurt so much he flinched. Miraculously he said he would be ready. It was just a lot of will. This was his senior year. He really just wanted to compete.''

Despite the setback, Bush said he has not given up on his dream to play running back for the University of South Florida. Bush said he will be running summer track to prove he has regained his quickness and will be willing to walk on at USF, if that is what it will take to play.

''I want them to know I'm running a 10.5 off my natural speed,'' Bush said. ``If I start lifting weights I know I can run a 10.2. It feels good to know I made it back from the accident and I am one of the fastest guys in the county again.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1068943.html

His story is amazing and inspirational. I hope he makes it to USF and can eventually play football with his teammates Ricardo Dixon and Victor Marc.

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/169853

Archived