• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Promotes Canales, Hires Former NFL Wide Receiver

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Wow...Now that an OC has been hired / promoted then we have nothing to be concerned about do we??

We can all breathe easier...After all our dismal conference record can always be blamed on the inexperience of this new OC and we should let him develop the offense his way.  Right?? Right??

yeah its always a good idea to have a few built in excuses before the season starts.

Now if jim can promote the waterboy to DC and throw in a few key injuries like a stubbed toe to Mike ford and Selvie and we will have the perfect storm of  reasons to go 2-5 in conference in 09

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

it is a good hire if our wrs improve

Agreed.

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

I just found this interview on Brett's blog (Yes!! Brett!!) But I definitely like what I am hearing from OC Canales. Have hope fellow Bulls!!!

Finally, Chico is the man

Posted February 26, 2009 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Feb 26, 2009 at 01:15 AM

When the University of South Florida opens the 2009 season this fall, new (or is it old?) USF offensive coordinator Mike “Chico†Canales believes USF fans will notice a difference in the Bulls’ offense. On Wednesday, USF finally announced that Chico had been promoted from WRs coach to offensive coordinator. Here’s what Canales told me Wednesday about what to expect in his second stint as USF’s offensive coordinator. The cliff notes: USF is not about to become Texas Tech and fling it around 60 times a game, but Canales wants the Bulls to spread the field at all times, like Florida and Oklahoma, and be more aggressive in the red zone. And, don’t tell anyone, but the Bulls could also put in the Wildcat offense.

What are your thoughts about officially being named USF’s offensive coordinator? “I’m excited. I’m extremely excited. I’m very thankful for the opportunity Jim [Leavitt] gave me and having faith in me. I’m looking forward to it. It’s about getting the best players on the field and creating mismatches. When I watch Florida and Oklahoma, it’s all about speed. That’s what I want to do here. That’s why the emphasis on this recruiting class was speed. These [incoming recruits] can flat out run. These guys can run.â€

Describe your offensive philosophy? “You’ll probably see a lot more of the spread offense. We won’t be in a lot of tight formations, double tight ends, you won’t see a lot of that. That’s not our strength. We’ve got a quarterback [Matt Grothe] that can run and throw. We’ve got guys on the outside edges that can run. We want to spread the field from sideline to sideline. We want to try to do that, but also don’t want to lose toughness as a group. I think that’s important to keep the toughness on offense. You don’t want to do too much spread that you become soft. Florida and Oklahoma [run a lot of spread], but they kept that dominate, aggressive personality. It’s important to our offensive staff to have a dominate, aggressive, toughness attitude. If, as a coach, you demand it, you’ll get it.â€

Differences we’ll see from USF’s offense compared with the past two years? “I think some things the fans will see and they’ll notice that that’s different. We’ll do different things in the red zone. I think we’ll be more aggressive in the red zone as far as attacking the end zone. You’ll see us spread it out more [in the red zone]. We’re going to spread you out and make you [the defense] show us your cards and then we’ll attack.â€

Why did the offense fail to match its 2007 yards and points numbers in 2008? “I’m not going to point fingers at one person or one thing, I’m looking forward. We can’t change the past. I’m looking forward to spring ball. You can’t dwell on things in the past. What I know is important is moving forward to 2009 and starting to create an aggressive attitude.â€...................................

Rest is on his blog.

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

I'm excited about this !

I really expect an aggresive offense - CONSTANTLY !

Great interviewe on Brett's blog.

What's good about hiring a coach from a small school ... he most likley won't have an urge to return to his school. Seems more of a hire from Canales than Leavitt and I like passion.

Go BULLS !!!

I moved it ... seemed like the right place to put it sincce the interview was mentioned here ...  ::)

Some on here are really silly.

Guess this thread didn't have enough Gloom & Doom to get the traffic and post . . .  ;D

Go BULLS !!!

i am very fond of his attitude. i think the majority of the bulls problems come from their attitude each year. this guy seems like he will fire up the offense, play smart, and be in it to win and not be intimidated by the big programs like UF.

Your No. 1 goal? “What’s important to me is for us to win the Big East championship. I have that goal and I want to help us reach that goal. I got a chance to go to the Sugar Bowl [Canales’ son, Tyler, is a reserve quarterback at Utah]. The atmosphere at the game [the Utes defeated Alabama] was incredible. When I was there, I thought there is no reason South Florida can’t be in this type of atmosphere. I wanted to bottle it up, bring it back and share it with the players. I wanted them to taste that then they would understand what it’s all about. We’re so close. Now it’s time to go get that thing.â€

i love it. exactly what we need.

Archived