• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls wait for final decisions in recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

February 01, 2009

Bulls wait for final decisions in recruiting

USF coach Jim Leavitt has had a relatively light weekend as college football coaches go right before National Signing Day. With no recruits in town for visits during a logistically overwhelming Super Bowl weekend, Leavitt is able to attend today's game, the first he's been to since the last game in Tampa.

Leavitt said he's pulling for the Steelers, in part because he's known head coach Mike Tomlin since he was a young assistant with the Bucs, and also because he's been surrounded by all things Steelers this week as the team has used USF practice fields and athletic facility as a base of operations.

Coaches have no more face-to-face contact with recruits, and the Bulls, with a class already ranked in the top 25 nationally by some sites, can now and wait and see what final pieces might join this year's signings. There's basically a half-dozen names to follow in the next three days, many of which have said they won't announce their choice until signing day.

We told you Saturday about junior college offensive lineman Jamar Bass, who could help at guard or tackle, and the only other known offensive player out there is Miami Pace's Sterling Griffin, a teammate of USF commitment Derrick Hopkins thought to be choosing between the Bulls and Purdue.

On defense, there are two linebackers and two defensive backs -- USF has worked hard trying to land linebacker Sam Barrington from Jacksonville Parker, thought to be torn between USF, Illinois and Miami, and they're still in contention for linebacker Mike Marry of Largo. At cornerback, they're in strong position to get Delray Beach Atlantic's Jayron Hosley, a former teammate of freshman safety Jon Lejiste. (This site says he's "all but signed, sealed and delivered" to USF after a visit to Virginia Tech). The Bulls have tried to sway a third Miami Pace player, defensive back Kayvon Webster, out of a commitment to Miami, that remains arguably the least likely of the remaining possibliities.

It's reasonable to think the Bulls could reel in Bass (I can't stop myself), Griffin, Hosley and one of the linebackers, which would be a strong finish to what will be the highest-rated class ever for USF. We'll try to stay on top of the endgame for USF and will have plenty between now and Wednesday ... For now, what three recruits are you most excited about?

Posted by Greg Auman at 1:26:26 PM on February 1, 2009 | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/02/bulls-wait-for.html

• Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

It's reasonable to think the Bulls could reel in Bass (I can't stop myself), Griffin, Hosley and one of the linebackers, which would be a strong finish to what will be the highest-rated class ever for USF. We'll try to stay on top of the endgame for USF and will have plenty between now and Wednesday ... For now, what three recruits are you most excited about?

Sounds reasonable enough to get 4 more players (Hosley, Grffin, Bass and one of the linebackers) from now until signing day. That would top off what is already the highest rated class in school history.

As far as the 3 I'm most excitied about, it would be JPP, Giddens and Hosley if we indeed get him.

Sounds reasonable enough to get 4 more players (Hosley, Grffin, Bass and one of the linebackers) from now until signing day. That would top off what is already the highest rated class in school history.

As far as the 3 I'm most excitied about, it would be JPP, Giddens and Hosley if we indeed get him.

My top three would be Giddins, Stirrups and the JUCO LB Williams. I'd probably list Daron Rose #2 if I knew he would be here.

Jacksonsville (FL) Terry Parker High School LB Sam Barrington isn't waiting until Signing Day to make his decision. He has reserved a place at the Eclipse Night Club in Jacksvonville and will be announcing his college choice there Tuesday night at 8:30 p.m.

http://usf.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1074&script=content.asp&cid=907182&fid=&tid=&mid=

Northeast DB Juarez Wynn, who already took trips to USF and Kansas State, will not sign Wednesday, said Vikings assistant Kenny Crawford. Wynn is waiting to boost his qualifying score, according to Crawford. … Largo LB Mike Marry went to West Virginia over the weekend. He also has visited Iowa State, USF and Mississippi.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/article972453.ece

Largo's Marry cancels trip to West Virginia

Mike Marry was supposed to take his final recruiting visit over the weekend to West Virginia.

That never happened.

Marry, the Times' all-county defensive player of the year who led the Packers to the state semifinals, decided to nix a trip to see the Mountaineers, Packers coach Rick Rodriguez said.

Marry already has visited Iowa State, USF and Mississippi. Rodriguez said Marry will likely narrow his college choices to two by today and make a decision by Wednesday, which is national signing day.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/preps/article972834.ece

Archived