• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike Marry Update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Days Won:  0

From the Free article at the InsidetheGrove.com. The article is not dated.

Marry nearing a decision 

By Ty G. Allushuski - Publisher

Mike Marry is getting closer to a decision.

The Largo, Fla., linebacker prospect has played his recruitment close to the vest for several months now, but it appears four schools have the edge with a fifth possibly still in the mix.

“It’s down to Ole Miss, Duke, South Florida and Iowa State,†Marry said. “All of those schools are about the same.â€

Marry said he also might visit West Virginia this weekend, but that trip was probably doubtful.

He recently tripped to Oxford and gave Ole Miss positive reviews.

“I really liked the coaches,†Marry said. “All of them really, but coach Nutt especially. I just like everything about that man. He’s up-front with you and he shows the players he cares.â€

One thing Ole Miss has going in its favor is Marry’s relationship with current Ole Miss running back/wide receiver Dexter McCluster. The two went to high school together and Marry said they stay in constant contact.

“I know (Dexter) real well,†Marry said. “We talk about (Ole Miss), but it’s just mainly about the school and the coaches.â€

When pressed for a leader, Marry initially said Duke, but quickly recanted that statement and again said all four schools were equal.

“I just like the coaching staff and the players at Duke,†Marry said. “I like the same thing about all of the schools, though, and that’s what makes the decision so hard.â€

Marry said he has already had an in-home visit with Iowa State this week. He will entertain coaching staffs from Ole Miss, Duke and South Florida before the weekend.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Marry is rated as the No. 51 outside linebacker prospect by ESPN/Scouts, Inc. He is also a very good student who boasts a GPA right around a 3.75.

Marry said academics are very important to him and he plans to major in engineering in college. He said his father, Eddie Marry, constantly stresses the importance of a quality education.

With signing day less than one week away, most prospects that remain uncommitted are waiting until Wednesday to announce. Marry, though, said his decision might come sooner.

“I’m going to try and make my decision as soon as I know,†Marry said. “I really just need to stay at home and pray, and then I’ll know.â€

ESPN/Scouts, Inc. evaluation:

Marry possesses the range and measurables that project well as an outside linebacker at the next level. He possesses a tall, leaner frame and his long body should fill out nicely at the next level. Not a real reactive or quick-twitched athlete but builds good speed with his long stride, and covers a lot of ground sideline-to-sideline. Takes proper pursuit angles and displays good closing speed. Shows good fluidity weaving through traffic; can change direction quickly and slip under the cutoff block. Slices through the small cracks at full speed as a blitzer. Tackles high but is explosive on contact driving through ball carriers. While he shows flashes of power, he struggles at times with leverage, filling with a wide base and knocking blockers upright. Needs to attack a college weight-training program for much needed bulk and strength. Hand and shedding technique would benefit from the added size as well. Flashes athleticism in space but coverage skills are a bit raw and he often struggles jamming and pattern matching quicker slots. Bottom line, Marry shows glimpses on film where he looks like a premier Division 1 prospect but average at other times with his marginal reactive athleticism. We project he will blossom at the next level both physically and fundamentally and develop into a solid strong side linebacker

http://www.insidethegrove.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&article=242&Itemid=89

Archived