• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

University of South Florida luring football talent from Miami-Dade, Broward

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Posted on Wednesday, 01.28.09share

University of South Florida luring football talent from Miami-Dade, Broward

BY PETE PELEGRIN

ppelegrin@MiamiHerald.com

723-marc29_DADEA_SPTS_JSP.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

JOSHUA PREZANT / SPECIAL TO THE MIAMI HERALDHallandale quarterback Victor Marc, above, and teammate Ricardo Dixon have both committed to the Bulls. 

Although it's in Tampa, the University of South Florida is making itself at home in the area that has the same name as the school.

Four of the program's commitments are from the South Florida area -- two from Miami-Dade County and two from Broward.

And USF might not be done collecting talent from the area.

Miami Monsignor Pace receiver Derrick Hopkins has committed to USF and could have two teammates joining him.

Hopkins caught 20 passes for 251 yards and two touchdowns for Pace on its run to a regional final.

Pace receiver Sterling Griffin has narrowed his choices to USF and Purdue after turning down Auburn and Mississippi.

Griffin finished sixth in receiving in Miami-Dade among schools in Classes 3A-1A.

Griffin, who is 6-1 and 180 pounds, caught 45 passes for 682 yards and eight touchdowns.

Pace safety Kayvon Webster, who committed to the University of Miami, might be having second thoughts.

''I visited USF, West Virginia and Miami and all three are even,'' Webster told rivals.com. ``I have not made a decision.

``I might visit Florida and I am going to make my decision on signing day. One of the things I am looking at is playing time.''

Webster also was a receiver for Pace, catching 38 passes for 484 yards and five touchdowns.

South Florida has commitments from two Hallandale High players: defensive back Ricardo Dixon and quarterback/athlete Victor Marc.

Dixon, who is 5-11, 168 pounds, runs a 4.42-second 40-yard dash. He committed to USF in June.

Marc, who is 5-11, 208 pounds, finished seventh in Broward County in passing this past season. Marc passed for 983 yards and 10 touchdowns for Hallandale (8-4), which finished second in its district to Miami Booker T. Washington.

South Florida also has secured a commitment from South Broward offensive lineman Steven Jacques, who is 6-4 and 280 pounds.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/story/877522.html

Archived