• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the yankees are now paying as much on taxes and re

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sharing as the marlins did on the team that won the world series

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

I am sure it was up to George they would not pay a dime.  The Red Sox were hit for a 40 million bill on revenue sharing so I guess the ownership is finding ways to create revenue at very small fenway park as the Sox were pretty close in revenue to the Yanks.

yankees make 100 mil or more per year on local tv and radio

what does bosox make?

Revenue sharing is for all money making so the yanks tv deals and radio would be included. The Sox revenue was over 200 million according to Boston Herald this morning and about 40% came from ticket sales. I assume TV and Radio makes up a decent portion of the rest. The Yanks made probaly 220 to 250 million in revenues? I was surprised that the Sox were so close in revenue though the sox have the most expensive tix every year.

i believe(may be wrong) that local deals are excluded from revenue sharing.

i  gotta find exact fiqures because i was under belief yankees get much more local money than boston

new york area is much bigger

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Something to consider: The Yankees' TV package is worth $250M (probably more now). The small-market teams' deals can be as worth as little as $5M. So broadcast value is probably a big factor here.

that makes sense

yankees tv package is more than all revenue bosox make

this is why yankees spend like no tomorrow

See if you can find the details on that as it would be interesting to see how much the sox tv deal is for also.  I dont think the yanks could be making 250 million in revenue not including tv and then an additional 250 million with TV. I say there is no way they are taking in that much coin and if so not having to share with other owners. I think there is no way that could be happening.

yankee  income disapparity has been that way forever

there is no real  revenue sharing   in baseball

i will try to get specifics

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Several interesting articles about MLB finances:

The Reds' annual cable rights fee of $3.5 million to $4 million for the current baseball season puts the franchise ahead of only three teams in baseball in local TV revenue: the Minnesota Twins (between $2 million and $3 million per year) and the Milwaukee Brewers ($2.6 million).

By contrast, the New York Yankees, in the country's largest market, will receive $48.8 million from the Madison Square Garden Network for TV and radio rights this season.

http://www.cincypost.com/living/2000/broad032900.html

For example, one local TV network paid the Yankees $486 million over 12 years for the right to broadcast Yankees games, yet the Expos had a hard time finding a television station to broadcast their games.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0EPF/13_101/80744510/p1/article.jhtml

Many of the flagship (radio) stations throughout the country have covered the local big league team for decades. Indeed, KDKA still carries the Pirates and are now in their 80th year airing the games from Pittsburgh. This year the Atlanta Braves retain their crown as Kings of Radio Baseball with nearly 150 affiliate stations. The St. Louis Cardinals, Colorado Rockies, and Kansas City Royals all field lengthy affiliate lists showing their wide appeal throughout the nation’s midsection. Among the broadcast-impoverished are the Expos, Mets, and Padres, whose combined lists barely break a dozen.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/mt-bball.html

Not sure why the disparity in figures, but it's clear that the large-broadcast franchises have a huge financial advantage.

Some other articles on the subject:

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2003/05/26/story6.html

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2003/0428/064_print.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/mike_fish/news/2002/03/22/fish_straightshooting/