• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Pedro fishing for pinstripes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  537
  • Content Count:  2,718
  • Days Won:  0

Is Pedro fishing for pinstripes?

September 26, 2004

Through a mutual friend, Pedro Martinez sent this message to Felix Heredia last weekend: Next year, when I'm a Yankee, you've got to give me your uniform number (45).

So we're reminded that as tense as things are between the Yankees and Red Sox right now, with an American League Championship Series rematch coming our way in three weeks, this offseason is destined to raise the stakes. Are you ready for a tug-of-war over the rivalry's most contentious figure?

Pedro indeed is headed for the free-agent market, and the savvy righthander knows what he must do in order to get the best deal. He must pit George Steinbrenner against John Henry and Larry Lucchino, instilling fear in Red Sox Nation that he would actually leave them to join the Evil Empire.

That's why Martinez, who has been complaining about the upcoming end of his contract for a couple of years now, previously has mentioned the possibility of putting on pinstripes. He also has joked around with fans at Yankee Stadium and even attempted to make nice with some Yankees.

Within this big tug-of-war, no doubt, will be smaller battles, fought within each camp. The Red Sox, who discussed a two-year extension (for about $25 million) with Martinez earlier this season, will have to decide how much is too much for a guy who has had so many arm problems. Boston management discussed insurance issues earlier with Pedro and that just ticked him off, as did their (understandable) offer of a pay cut from his current $17.5 million.

The Yankees, in need of an ace, know Pedro will be the best of the free-agent crop. But they worry about the impact he could have in the clubhouse, where he has few admirers and many enemies, starting with Jorge Posada, who would be his catcher.

Friends of Martinez believe that he wants to return to Boston, and that his engaging of the Yankees is only strategic. If so, it's good strategy. Looking past what should be a great October, it might be just as thrilling in November and December.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

It will be another interesting off season... but i don't care right now.  Bring on the playoffs!

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

I hope he does go to Yanks for about 20 mill per year. Sox will spend their $$ wisely and the yanks will come out with a rotation with an average age of about 35.  Here is another article that claims Nomar may be playing 2b for yanks next year. That would disgust me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/tom_verducci/09/28/pedro.yankees/index.html?cnn=yes

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

boston treats all their stars like crap

what a history

fisk,vaughn,clements etc

on and on

a losing tradition and they treat their heros like crap

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

We never had matt clement... that is the cubs.

boston treats all their stars like crap

what a history

fisk,vaughn,clements etc

on and on

a losing tradition and they treat their heros like crap

Clemens and Vaughn werer time to move on, Mo is still making 15+ per year and doesnt even play. Clemens wouldnt be in baseball any longer if he stayed with Sox. He owes them bigtime for waking him back up.  Fisk was a terrible move but he was and still is loved by the fans. That was a mgt decision that not one BoSox fan was ever happy about.  Same thing with Fred Lynn.  On the other hand Teddy Ballgame, Yaz, Rice, etc... were treated great by fans who love their heroes.  Nomar was also treated great by the fans.  Name one former player that left and did not have great things to say about the fans in Boston, good luck trying....

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i don't think the stars of yesterday or tomorrow have your take KR

the players want respect and boston management never seems to give it

i don't think the stars of yesterday or tomorrow have your take KR

the players want respect and boston management never seems to give it

You wont find former red sox stars that would bad mouth the fans. I understand that mgt screwed with some ecspecially Fisk. That was a different ownership group and different management.  Fisk works with the team now so even he has come around to the new sox.  Keep rooting for the opposition, sox 2 angels 0.