• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usc/ucla football notes

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Olympics

»Articles

»Blog

»Photos

»Videos

Sports

»Scores & Stats

»Columnists

»Morning Briefing

»Letters

»Sports A-Z

Home Teams

»Angels

»Dodgers

»Lakers

»Clippers

»Sparks

»UCLA

»USC

»Kings

»Ducks

»Galaxy

»Chivas USA

Sections

»Olympics

»Outdoors

»Action Sports

»Baseball

»Basketball

»Football

»Golf

»NCAA Basketball

»NCAA Football

»High Schools

»Hockey

»Auto Racing

»Boxing / MMA

»Horse Racing

»Soccer

»Tennis

Blogs

»Olympics Blog

»Lakers Blog

»Dodgers Blog

»UCLA Blog

»USC Blog

»Varsity Times

»Outposts

News/Opinion

California | Local

National

World

Business

Sports

Olympics

Campaign '08

Science

Environment

Opinion

Arts/Entertainment

Entertainment

The Guide

Arts & Culture

The Envelope

Living

Travel

Health

Autos

Home & Garden

Food

Books

Living Green

Video

Photography

Obituaries

Crosswords/Sudoku

Your Scene

Blogs

Columnists

Print Edition

Readers Rep

Corrections

All Sections

Buy, Sell & More

Jobs

Cars

Real Estate

Apartments

Personals

Deals at Local Stores

Coupons

Newspaper Ads

Place an Ad

In the Newspaper

Settings/Services

Sign In

Register

Personalized News

E-Mail Newsletters

RSS Feeds

Help

Contact Us

L.A. Times Archives

Reprint Requests

Work for Us

Home Delivery

Customer Support

Subscribe

Alex Gallardo / Los Angeles Times

USC's Averell Spicer, right, talks with Ed Orgeron, defensive line coach for the New Orleans Saints and a former Trojan line coach during football practice this spring. Spicer, a junior in competition with sophomore Christian Tupou to start at the nose tackle position has some big shoes to fill: the last two players to occupy that position for the Trojans left as All-Americans.USC FOOTBALL

USC has a hole to fill in the middle

Email Picture

USC's Averell Spicer, right, talks with Ed Orgeron, defensive line coach for the New Orleans Saints and a former Trojan line coach during football practice this spring. Spicer, a junior in competition with sophomore Christian Tupou to start at the nose tackle position has some big shoes to fill: the last two players to occupy that position for the Trojans left as All-Americans.

The last two starters at nose tackle -- Mike Patterson and Sedrick Ellis -- were All-Americans. Now it's up to Averell Spicer or Christian Tupou to assume the responsibilities of anchoring the line.

By David Wharton, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 8, 2008

The nose tackle's job -- on a lot of teams -- is pure grunt work. Absorb blockers, clog the middle, let the linebackers run free.

The USC defensive scheme calls for something different. The Trojans want their man in the muck to be disruptive, moving quick and low, using leverage to shed blocks and pursue the ball.

USC football players who stay, get paid No. 21: Chris Dufresne's top 25 rankings...Ads by Google

10 Rules of Flat Stomach:

Cut down 9 lbs of Stomach Fat every 11 Days by Obeying these 10 Rules.

FatLoss4Idiots.com

Usc Football Tickets

Cheap Priced Tickets. We Beat Everyone's Price.

www.TicketLiquidator.com/Trojans

USC vs Ohio State Tickets

Saturday 9/13 - Great Match up Code "Freeship" for free shipping!

www.greenlighttickets.com

"It's a focal point," defensive coordinator Nick Holt said. "When we have good nose tackles, we're really, really good."

The last two starters at the position -- Mike Patterson and Sedrick Ellis -- left campus as All-Americans. Now, while much attention has focused on newcomers at quarterback and along the offensive line, the Trojans have a crucial opening on defense.

A few days into camp, junior Averell Spicer and sophomore Christian Tupou lead a mix of possibilities, with the additional option available of shifting senior Fili Moala, the starter at the other tackle spot, to help out.

The candidates are feeling the responsibility.

"It's like someone coming up and slapping you in the face," said Tupou, casting the situation in lineman's terms. "You've got to do something back."

The 6-foot-2, 295-pound Spicer ranks as heir apparent. Similar to Ellis in body type -- that quick and low thing -- he played enough last season to gain experience at the position.

But a bruised knee required off-season surgery, causing him to sit out spring practice and summer sessions.

"When guys were working out, I had to sit back and watch," he said. "They're looking at you like you're getting a break, but you're not. You want to be out there."

The younger Tupou spotted an opportunity.

At 6-2, 280 pounds, the sophomore impressed coaches in spring ball, then said he spent a good portion of his summer holed up in the football offices and in his dorm, watching films of Ellis and veteran teammate Moala.

"Their techniques, the way they play the run and their pass rushes," he said. "I'm trying to steal whatever they have so I can play at their level.

"It could be just one thing. How vicious they do the rip or how quick their first step was. Then I'll come out the next day and say this is my 'first step' day or my 'vicious rip' day."

The Trojans' recent tradition at nose guard began with Patterson, who showed up as an overweight freshman in 2001 and worked himself into a senior All-American, drafted in the first round by the Philadelphia Eagles.

His play was predicated on unusually quick hands and a low center of gravity.

"He set the example of what a USC nose tackle was really supposed to be all about," Ellis said in 2005.

More of a strength player, Ellis did him one better by making All-American twice, and recently signed as a first-round pick with the New Orleans Saints.

Spicer said he learned from both men. Patterson told him during a recruiting trip to focus on a quick start, while Ellis taught him to get after the ball.

"Say the center doesn't try to block me, I have to get a hand on him to slow him up from getting to the [linebacker]," Spicer explained. "But I don't have to take that block for the next guy. I just have to give them a chance to beat the center and I get freed up as well."

Given the inherent brutality of the position -- grappling amid 300-pound bodies, taking on multiple blockers -- the Trojans probably will need a couple of reliable nose tackles to rotate through the lineup as the season progresses.

Holt mentions freshman DaJohn Harris among other candidates. He would rather not shift Moala.

"We might do some of that," the coordinator said. "I don't think we're going to need to because I think Averell Spicer and Christian Tupou or one of those other guys are going to be just fine."

The coaches intend to bring Spicer along gradually over the next few weeks, allowing him to gain strength without reinjuring his knee. "He's working back in there," Holt said.

Spicer is less patient.

"Ever since I've been here, my philosophy is I can't let anybody younger beat me out," he said. "Now I'm the oldest nose tackle, so I plan not to let that happen."

As the elder statesman, Spicer appreciates not only the responsibility of playing his position, but also the potential rewards.

"I watched the guys before me," he said. "Our system, the way our defense plays, it gives the nose tackle a lot of opportunities to make tackles."

Mitch Mustain, Aaron Corp battle for starting spot

Email Picture

With Mark Sanchez injured and his availability for USC's Aug. 30 opener up in the air, Mitch Mustain finds himself back in the picture to start at quarterback for the Trojans. He'll be in competition with Aaron Corp as a replacment for Sanchez, if needed.

With Mark Sanchez injured, backup quarterbacks display a sense of urgency.

By Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 10, 2008

USC's final practice before the Trojans' first in full pads took on a palpable sense of urgency Saturday as quarterbacks Mitch Mustain and Aaron Corp battled for a possible starting job in place of injured Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez suffered a dislocated left kneecap Friday, an injury less serious than a possible season-ending ligament tear. But the fourth-year junior's availability for the Aug. 30 opener at Virginia and beyond is up in the air.

Ads by Google

10 Rules of Flat Stomach

Cut Down 9 lbs of Stomach Fat every 11 Days by Obeying these 10 Rules.

FatLoss4Idiots.com

USC vs Ohio State Tickets

Saturday 9/13 - Great Match up Code "Freeship" for free shipping!

www.greenlighttickets.com

The opportunity has infused Mustain, a transfer from Arkansas, and Corp, a redshirt freshman. Both consciously asserted themselves as if they were the starter.

"It gives you a little shot," Mustain said. "The way you prepare doesn't really change, but it does give you that little edge."

Mustain and Corp both had their moments on a day when the Trojans concentrated on third-down situations.

"I think I'm in a good spot right now," Corp said. "I just have to keep consistent, keep doing well."

Coach Pete Carroll said Mustain and Corp would be evaluated on an ongoing basis. For all the good plays each made, bad ones were not a surprise.

"There's obviously some times when they're struggling with the installation and they're thinking [too much]," Carroll said. "That's totally what should happen."

Sanchez, who will begin rehabilitation Monday, stayed close. With his left leg elevated, he drove a cart to different areas of the practice fields to watch and offer encouragement.

"He's yelling at guys and trying to get his two cents in," Carroll joked.

Sanchez said his knee felt better and that he was mostly encouraged by dozens of phone calls and text messages from well-wishers and others who wanted to relay recovery stories. Projections regarding his return ranged from 10 days to four weeks.

"I'm hoping mine will be like all the shorter ones I heard," he said.

Speaking from experience

Sophomore center Kristofer O'Dowd sat out six games last season after suffering a dislocated kneecap against Washington.

O'Dowd required surgery because of cartilage damage. Sanchez's injury is not believed to be as serious, but the quarterback still had questions for O'Dowd, who told Sanchez, "It's going to feel like you tore your ACL or something because it's going to hurt on the side and then in the middle. You're fine. It's just the soreness."

O'Dowd could not help noticing the cart Sanchez was driving.

"I never got a cart," he quipped. "I didn't even get a crutch."

Green day

Junior Garrett Green donned a yellow quarterbacks jersey and will work at the position until Sanchez returns.

Green played quarterback and defensive back at Sherman Oaks Notre Dame High. As a freshman at USC, he moved to safety early in the 2006 season and then switched to wide receiver last season.

"It comes back to you pretty quick," he said of returning to quarterback. "I have a different dynamic with the receivers now, so it's pretty cool."

Green's 34-yard touchdown pass to Desmond Reed off a lateral in the Rose Bowl gives him more completions for the Trojans than either Mustain or Corp, who have yet to take a game snap.

Quick kicks

The Trojans will practice for the first time in full pads tonight at 7:30. "We go under the lights -- they're going to have a blast," Carroll said. . . . Cornerback Cary Harris intercepted a pass and broke up several others. . . . Running back Marc Tyler said he did not practice because of a concussion. . . . Joe McKnight said he tried to match Adam "Pacman" Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, who caught six punts without putting a ball down. "I got to four but I couldn't get the other two," McKnight said. . . . Sanchez, when asked if he had a sleepless night Friday, said he had dozed in the MRI exam machine after he was injured. "I woke up and thought I was in a bad dream," he said. "I was like, 'No!' And then it all sunk back in and I was like, 'Man.' But it could be a lot worse. I should be thankful.". . . Freshman cornerback T.J. Bryant sat out because of a skin irritation, according to Carroll. . . . Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley and Carmen Trutanich, a candidate for Los Angeles City Attorney, attended practice.

Chris Dufresne:

UCLA has its cart but only USC has the horses

Email Picture

USC quarterback Mitch Mustain is 61-2 as a starter dating back to ninth grade.

Ben Olson, out eight weeks with a foot injury, is Bruins' latest quarterback casualty, with reinforcements in short supply. Meanwhile, Trojans appear to have the depth to absorb Mark Sanchez's injury.

Chris Dufresne

August 11, 2008

Anatomy of a local college training camp weekend: UCLA's starting quarterback got off on the wrong foot and USC's starting quarterback got off on the wrong knee.

Football is a rough sport, but this was ridiculous.

Mark Sanchez, a redshirt junior who had to wait for Matt Leinart and John David Booty to leave to get his chance to play quarterback at USC, dislocated his left kneecap Friday while tossing a pass to a teammate during warmups.

You know how dangerous that can be.

Ben Olson, a senior (citizen) who seems as though he's raised a family of four during his quixotic career, was carted off the UCLA field Saturday after he injured the same right foot he injured last spring, and Sunday the school announced he would be out at least eight weeks.

Add UCLA Medical Center's favorite down-and-outpatient Patrick Cowan to this battered mix and that makes three onetime starting local quarterbacks who have been injured in practice without being touched.

Is it time for a joint cross-town rivalry exorcism?

What's going to happen when Trojans and Bruins face live contact against real teams in those things they play called games?

Cowan and Olson last spring were injured on consecutive plays in noncontact drills and taken off Spaulding Field on the same golf cart.

Olson has now used the golf cart so many times he's leased it with an option to buy.

Cowan, a senior, ripped up his knee and is done for the season. Olson had his foot surgically repaired and was supposed to be good to go entering training camp.

And then someone yelled "hut."

Sanchez's injury is not believed to be as serious as first feared, but that's what they said about Lakers center Andrew Bynum's dislocated kneecap.

Olson?

We'll have to wait and see.

While these weekend injuries were unquestionably freakish, we can't see where anything's changed in terms of objectives and prospects.

It's a shame Sanchez and Olson might be denied a chance to start, or finish, what they started after carrying sideline clipboards for so long.

But the big picture remains the same:

USC is still a top-five team entering its opener at Virginia on Aug. 30 and UCLA still looks like a four-, five- or six-win program in transition.

USC has the luxury of replacing Sanchez with Mitch Mustain, a transfer from Arkansas who seemed to be taking a huge, if not presumptuous, risk in leaving Fayetteville for Los Angeles last year knowing Sanchez was already ensconced.

Ben Olson out at least eight weeks but hopes to play this season

Quarterback has a broken bone in his right foot; Craft and Forcier are leading candidates to replace him.

By Chris Foster, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 11, 2008

UCLA Coach Rick Neuheisel belted out the words loud and slow, so quarterback Chris Forcier was certain to hear.

"You're just playing catch," Neuheisel screamed as a Forcier pass to a wide open receiver sailed high during a drill.

Ben OlsonAds by Google

10 Rules of Flat Stomach

Cut Down 9 lbs of Stomach Fat every 11 Days by Obeying these 10 Rules.

FatLoss4Idiots.com

UCLA Bruins Tickets

Great Seats, Cheap Prices. Buy UCLA Bruins Football Tickets!

www.TicketSpot.com

Usc Ucla Football Tickets

Forcier is finding that greater responsibility will bring greater scrutiny. His status was elevated considerably Sunday, as the Bruins learned that starting quarterback Ben Olson would be lost for at least eight weeks after breaking the fifth metatarsal, the bone that connects to the little toe, in his right foot for the second time in four months.

Though Olson, who will miss at least five games, vowed to return, the injury left junior Kevin Craft and Forcier as the Bruins' Plan B . . . at least at the moment.

Moments after being shouted at, Forcier flicked an on-target pass, bringing praise from Neuheisel: "There, see? Now how many times in a row can you do that?"

The Bruins are staging a quarterback competition three weeks before the season opener against Tennessee. Craft, a transfer from Mt. San Antonio College, and Forcier, a redshirt freshman, will get close looks in the coming weeks, with junior Osaar Rasshan seemingly a longshot candidate.

The competition became necessary after Olson faked a handoff Saturday, then took a misstep.

"I knew something was wrong," Olson said in a teleconference call. "I was hoping I only tweaked it a little bit."

Olson underwent X-rays Sunday morning, which confirmed the re-injury to the same bone he'd broken during spring practice.

"It's a crushing blow to the young man," Neuheisel said. "He put so much time and effort into the program, it's just really unfortunate. Sometimes you have a hard time understanding why things happen."

For Olson, it was the latest disappointment in a star-crossed career.

As a sophomore in 2006, he tore a knee ligament in the fifth game against Arizona and was lost for the season. Last season, he missed one game with concussion-like symptoms and five others because of an injured right knee. He has started only 10 games since transferring to UCLA from Brigham Young.

"It's definitely been tough," Olson said. "You're not able to accomplish the goals you set. It's very frustrating because it seems every year that my progression as a quarterback has been halted by injury. But whining and complaining about things and asking 'why did this happen to me?' does no good. You have to push forward."

Olson will decide in the next few days whether to again have a screw placed in the foot to help it heal. The projected recovery time is the same whether he has the surgery or not.

But even after eight weeks, Olson still would have to get into playing shape, as well as brush up on the new system being installed by offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

Still, he was adamant that his career at UCLA was not over.

"I expect to be back this year, definitely," Olson said. "I want to play in the worst way. I'm upset about it and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get on the field and practice."

The Bruins, meanwhile, will move on and prepare for Tennessee.

Forcier has made himself a candidate since training camp began. It has been a long climb from running the scout team last season.

But with Olson out and Craft struggling at times, Forcier has become a viable option.

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

Next time you copy and paste, please don't take every link along the side with you!

Sucks about UCLA and USC's qb. Both of those injuries are pretty painful. And throws a minor curve ball just before the season starts. I personally hope Mark Sanchez gets better before the opener because I hope Mitch Mustain never plays a snap at QB while at USC.

Sarkisian takes a turn as USC's head coach

Offensive coordinator steps in for Pete Carroll, who is at a memorial service.

By Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 16, 2008

Steve Sarkisian appeared comfortable in the role.

With Pete Carroll absent to attend a memorial service, Sarkisian made like a head coach and oversaw USC's morning practice, the 34-year-old offensive coordinator directing players and coaches and addressing the team and staff at the end of the workout.

Steve Sarkisian"He's very straight-forward, knows what he wants and demands that you be on point," senior defensive tackle Fili Moala said. "He has qualities and attributes to be a very good head coach."

It has been nearly two years since Sarkisian turned down Al Davis' overtures to coach the Oakland Raiders, a job that former USC assistant Lane Kiffin landed after Sarkisian withdrew from consideration.

Sarkisian, the Raiders' quarterbacks coach in 2004, allowed that he sometimes reflects on his choice.

"I do because I have to assess what type of decision I made," he said. "I don't regret it for a second. I love where I'm at. This is a great place and we have great kids."

Sarkisian would still like a head coaching position, but said, "I'm not rushing to try and take one."

In January 2007, Sarkisian explained that he turned down the Raiders because the timing was not right and that he wanted to be a college head coach. However, he did not rule out a return to the pros.

"Two, five, 10 years maybe it will be different," he said at the time.

Today , Sarkisian expanded on his aspirations.

"I want to be a head coach and I want it to be the right situation," he said. "I don't want to pigeonhole myself and say I only want to be college head coach knowing there might be an NFL job that could be a good fit.

"I'll be open to everything and assess everything and see how it pans out."

Quick kicks

Receiver Travon Patterson suffered an ankle sprain near the end of practice. . . . Jeff Byers worked some at center. . . . Receiver Damian Williams did not practice because of illness. . . . The Trojans are scheduled to be in full pads this afternoon.

gary.klein@latimes.com

UCLA's John Hale relishes the competition at linebacker

UCLA's John Hale, left, congratulating teammate Brigham Dragovic after a fumble recovery against Washington, has been doing his best to hold off redshirt freshman Akeem Ayers for the outside linebacker starting position.

The senior isn't ready to relinquish his starting job to redshirt freshman Akeem Ayers.

By Lonnie White, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 15, 2008

UCLA redshirt freshman Akeem Ayers has the potential to be a force at outside linebacker, but if the Bruins had to play a game this weekend, Ayers wouldn't be a starter.

That's because senior John Hale has been solid over the first two weeks of training camp and is not ready to give up the starting job.

"The one thing that he brings to our defense is that he knows what he's doing," UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker said. "We play an assignment-type defense where we try and stay disciplined. It might not be right to throw Ayers in there right now. He's still a kid and he has to catch up a little bit.

"Ayers needs to learn the other intangibles that are important to our defense and right now, John gives us that."

Hale, a former standout at Los Alamitos High, has experienced the full spectrum of ups and downs playing for the Bruins in his career.

Ads by Google

10 Rules of Flat Stomach:

Cut down 9 lbs of Stomach Fat every 11 Days by Obeying these 10 Rules.

FatLoss4Idiots.com

UCLA Bruins Tickets

Great Seats, Cheap Prices. Buy UCLA Bruins Football Tickets!

www.TicketSpot.com

Usc Ucla Football Tickets

In his first season, Hale started seven games and was named to the Sporting News All-Pacific 10 Freshman team in 2005.

But as a sophomore, Hale split time with Aaron Whittington and then last season, his playing time dropped because of inconsistency and an injured hamstring.

But Hale has been getting it done so far this year.

"The term 'competition' really helps," said Hale, who has played both inside and outside linebacker at UCLA. "It makes you improve your game every day. . . . Competition is something that helps everyone's game. From the starter to the guy who is second team to the guys who are third and fourth. Everything is geared to help the team."

The battle between Hale and Ayers has been noticed by Coach Rick Neuheisel.

"Position battles are usually enhancers to your team because you are going to need everybody," Neuheisel said. "When people are fighting to see who is first string, they usually come out ready to play and you'll find out how competitive they really are. I think it helps us . . .

"I just know that they are both flying around and that's great for our football team."

Hale, who played his first season under defensive coordinator Larry Kerr, said he's glad that Walker and linebacker coach Chuck Bullough returned this season after Karl Dorrell was fired and replaced by Neuheisel.

"It's always good when you don't have to learn a new system," Hale said. "You feel more advanced because you've been in the system for three years now. In a way, you feel like a coach on the field. It was a huge plus to keep our defensive coaches."

Rebuilding

Quarterback Kevin Craft continued to work exclusively with the first team Thursday and Neuheisel said he's starting to notice some things with UCLA's offense under coordinator Norm Chow.

"It's beginning to take shape," Neuheisel said. "It's almost like sitting there watching someone create art. You kind of now know what he's building. But it still has a lot of polish still to go."

Quick kicks

Tailback Kahlil Bell missed the morning practice because of a hip flexor injury but participated in the evening workout.

Quarterback Osaar Rasshan sat out with a sore knee. Linebacker Mike Schmitt left the morning practice with an ankle injury and wide receiver Taylor Embree suffered a shoulder injury and did not make the second workout.

Defensive end Jeff Miller has been moved to tight end.

lonnie.white@latimes.com

Archived