• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cardinal Carvings August Edition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Summertime scenes from Papa John's

Observations from three days of University of Louisville football practice:

I rolled in on Wednesday, and an ice cream truck was parked at the entrance gate.

Must be a new thing, I thought. Coach Steve Kraghtorpe likes offbeat motivational tactics. Maybe he's telling his offensive line, "Good blocking guys. Go get yourselves a fudgesicle." (Hunter Cantwell, I hear, likes the Bomb Pops.) Maybe it was a recruiting tool. Nothing says "verbal commitment" like a Push Pop.

Then I looked closer and noticed that the ice-cream-truck guy appeared to be off duty. He was watching practice.

Unusual. I don't recall John L. Smith or Bobby Petrino having an ice cream truck around, though I do distinctly remember them referring to players as candy you-know-whats.

Then it hit me. Three years ago, University of Kentucky coach Rich Brooks -- trying to prove a point to reporters at a news conference -- served them all … milkshakes!

That Brooks is wily. You'd have to be with a No. 2 man named Joker. This could be our first spy allegation of the season. Operation Blue Bunny. Come to think of it, that ice cream sandwich in the dude's hand did look like it had a zoom lens.

I was about to make inquiries when I walked to the practice field and noticed a large tent with industrial-sized fans blowing on each side and a big crowd -- and maybe a few recruits and families -- inside watching the action.

Pretty nice. But if Howard Schnellenberger saw it, he might have them rip his name off the football complex. The Pipe didn't go for summer luxuries, like, say, water.

What does any of this have to do with how good U of L will be this season? Well, about as much as anything in the first three days of practice. Until full contact begins, it's all calisthenics.

The place was buzzing on Day 1 over dropped passes. And I will admit, the prior regime here threw such a fit at any dropped pass that even the defensive players didn't like to see it happen. But the drops diminished on Day 2 and again yesterday. And there's something about the confidence Cantwell is displaying in his receivers that leads me to believe they'll be all right.

And wideouts are the key group on this team. For three years the U of L defense was effective in part because the offense took the opposing running game away. The Cardinals put so much pressure on opposing offenses that they had to fire up the passing game just to try to keep up.

In this year's UK-U of L opener, that first 15 minutes will be more crucial than ever. If U of L can start fast and force UK's inexperienced quarterback and wideouts to execute, the Cardinals have a chance to win comfortably.

But the game could go just as big in the other direction if UK's secondary exerts itself. Then the Wildcats can get into a comfort zone with their own running game to set up a passing game that simply gets the ball to their speedy backs in space.

In fact, I don't expect a close game. I expect one team will get an early advantage and expand on it. And for U of L to be that team, some of those lesser-known wideouts will have to make big plays.

I expect it to be a game of momentum and probably a game of mistakes. Unlike last season, when U of L made early mistakes and came back, you wonder if some of the less-seasoned units on either side can withstand early adversity.

At least, that's how the ice cream man and I see it.

Reach Eric Crawford at (502) 582-4372 or ecrawford@courier-journal.com. Comment on this column, and read his blog and previous columns, at www.courier-journal.com/crawford.

August 7, 2008

Cardinals' backfield looks a lot younger

Powell, Anderson join senior Bolen

By C.L. Brown

cbrown@courier-journal.com

The University of Louisville has undergone a backfield transformation that has left it thin on experience, but not without talent.

Senior Brock Bolen, who is the team's leading returning rusher, brings the power. But for the Cardinals to be effective, sophomore Bilal Powell and redshirt freshman Victor Anderson have to pack a punch, too.

"This time is night and day from last year for (Powell), for Vic, too," U of L running backs coach Tony Alford said yesterday. "Those guys have matured, they definitely understand the college game a little more … and have the ability to make plays."

The Cards' backfield could use a few playmakers after an injury-plagued 2007 season. They gained fewer than 100 yards five times last season (U of L was 1-4 in those games). They ranked sixth in rushing offense in the Big East Conference, averaging 146.1 yards per game.

Attrition made them a lot younger during the offseason.

Junior Anthony Allen, the team's leading rusher last season, transferred. Would-be senior George Stripling, who had the third-most attempts and yards, was dismissed from the team in May. And Sergio Spencer converted to safety for his senior season.

The departures have opened the way for Powell and Anderson to make an impact.

Powell showed flashes of his potential last season, averaging 7.8 yards per carry -- the highest among U of L running backs. He ran for 187 yards, which is second to Bolen's 456 yards among returnees.

Powell didn't even practice with the offense in last fall's camp; he came to U of L out of Lakeland, Fla., as a defensive back.

"I know what to expect this year," Powell said. "Coming into my second season, I know I have a bigger role than I had last year, so I committed to working hard."

Anderson admitted he didn't have the best practice habits while redshirting last season because he knew he wasn't going to play. This season, though, the former St. Xavier High School standout has plenty of bounce as he looks forward to taking the field.

"I thought coming out of high school I'd at least play some special teams, but I realized I had a lot to learn," Anderson said. "It was hard for me to just sit out because I wasn't used to it, but I got bigger, stronger, a lot smarter and watched film.

"I learned a lot from just watching the older guys practice."

Powell said he felt Anderson was going to surprise folks, especially as a complement to Bolen's "bruising" running style. Powell said defenders might underestimate the 5-foot-9, 182-pound Anderson's strength.

"He is very strong. I believe he runs bigger than what he really is," Powell said.

Bolen is clearly established as the veteran of the bunch, but Alford said his group has practiced without letting egos get involved. Each has seen time, depending on the personnel package, lining up behind starting quarterback Hunter Cantwell.

Alford said he won't hesitate to use Powell and Anderson regardless of their inexperience.

"All of them have their own things they bring to the table that are going to be valuable for this offense," Alford said. "All of them are going to contribute. The one good thing about it is you don't hesitate to play any of them."

C.L. Brown can be reached at (502) 582-4044.

August 5, 2008

Young Cards will have to fill big cleats

U of L sees 3 spots of need after departure of veterans

By Brian Bennett

bbennett@courier-journal.com

For a University of Louisville football team that spent much of the offseason talking about which players weren't going to be on campus, yesterday brought a welcome change of topic.

The last of the Cardinals' spring signees, tight end Stephon Ball, reported for duty, meaning everyone who is healthy will start practicing when fall camp opens this afternoon.

How quickly the newcomers get acclimated could determine how ready the Cards are for their Aug. 31 opener against the University of Kentucky.

"We've got some guys who haven't been here for a fall training camp before and who weren't here for spring practice, so that makes it doubly tough for them to get up to speed," coach Steve Kragthorpe said. "That's going to be our job as coaches, to make sure we get those guys ready to play as quickly as possible because they are going to have to play some major roles that have been vacated."

With that as a backdrop, here are five major storylines to monitor during U of L's fall camp.

New linebackers

With all three starters gone from last season's team, linebacker was the biggest concern going into spring practice. Injuries and underwhelming performances left a lot of questions unanswered.

The coaches can't wait to see junior-college transfer Jon Dempsey in action. He did not practice during the spring but was impressive in summer workouts.

True freshman Dexter Heyman from Male High School will get a chance to prove he's ready to play right away.

U of L also hopes for continued improvement from junior-college transfer Chris Campa, converted safety Brandon Heath and Miami transfer James Bryant, who was slowed by an injury in the spring.

Tight end replacements

The main question mark on offense is at tight end, where the Cards seek replacements for departed seniors Scott Kuhn and Gary Barnidge.

Sophomore Pete Nochta played well enough in the spring to be listed as the starter going into camp, but junior-college arrivals Rock Keys and Cameron Graham, former defensive lineman Johnnie Burns and true freshmen Nathan Nord and Ball will be among those fighting for playing time.

Seeking receivers

A seemingly deep position in the spring thinned out with the dismissal of JaJuan Spillman and the shooting of Trent Guy, who may return later in the season.

Junior Scott Long has all the tools to become a No. 1 target but must perform at that level consistently.

Sophomore Doug Beaumont should see a lot more reps as the slot receiver with Guy and Spillman out.

Louisville also needs to get production out senior Chris Vaughn, sophomore Troy Pascley and junior-college transfer Maurice Clark.

"Linebacker, tight end and wide receiver are the three areas where we've really got to find guys to step up and play at this level pretty quickly," Kragthorpe.

Untested linemen

Seniors Eric Wood and George Bussey provide anchors at center and left tackle, respectively. The other three spots will be filled by mostly untested but talented players.

Going into camp, sophomore Mark Wetterer is the leader at left guard, with sophomore Jeff Adams at right tackle and junior Abdul Kuyateh at right guard.

"We have a good little mix of veterans and youth there, and they've got to come together," Kragthorpe said. "We put a big emphasis on that in spring practice and will continue to do so in fall camp."

Overall depth

The Cards were counting on some instant impact when they brought in 10 junior-college players. For this season to be a success, several of those newcomers as well as some true freshmen will have to get the most out of the next 26 days.

"Every guy adjusts differently," Kragthorpe said. "But I think these guys have the mental makeup and the physical makeup to make the adjustments quickly."

Brian Bennett can be reached at (502) 582-7177.

Archived