• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

what a fall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Couch, Gildon, Levens among notable vets cut    

NFL.com wire reports  

(Sept. 5, 2004) -- Tim Couch's stay in Green Bay was short and unproductive.

The top overall choice in the 1999 NFL Draft by Cleveland, Couch was released by the Browns in June. He joined the Packers and was projected as Brett Favre's backup.

But the quarterback never progressed, and the Packers cut him as teams got down to the 53-man roster limit for the regular season.

"He just wasn't productive enough," Packers coach-general manager Mike Sherman said. "We took a shot in hoping he could be the guy. I don't think it's the first time in the league that you were wrong on somebody. It certainly won't be my last time and it wasn't my first time.

"It's unfortunate. I'm disappointed it didn't work out. I really thought with the tapes I studied last year, I really thought it would work out. It didn't."

Couch completed only 11 of 34 passes for 96 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions in three preseason games.

Two other former Packers, running back Dorsey Levens and wide receiver Antonio Freeman, also had brief stints with new teams before being cut.

Levens, 34, was signed two weeks ago after the Eagles lost Correll Buckhalter to a season-ending knee injury. Levens ran for 37 yards on 12 carries in his only game against the New York Jets.

Freeman joined the Dolphins earlier this summer after David Boston was lost for the season. But his lack of speed and inability to make any plays in the preseason got him released.

New Orleans cut 15-year veteran center Jerry Fontenot, who lost his position to LeCharles Bentley, who moved over from guard. Fontenot, 37, started all 80 games the past five seasons and was selected as a Pro Bowl alternate last season.

"I certainly hold my head high, knowing that I did everything the coaches asked of me and everything the organization asked of me," Fontenot said. "I feel very blessed in my career."

The Saints also let go of linebacker Darrin Smith, who was with them since 2000.

San Diego cut receiver Kevin Dyson, a member of the Titans and Panthers when each played in the Super Bowl, and safety Kwamie Lassiter. Lassiter, a nine-year pro, started for the Chargers last year.

The Chargers kept four quarterbacks: projected starter Drew Brees, first-round draft choice Philip Rivers, veteran Doug Flutie, and Cleo Lemon.

Other notable moves

•Veteran DL Bryan Robinson, who had been with the Bears since 1998, was cut. Robinson played both defensive end and tackle in 100 games, with 82 starts.

•Damien Robinson went on Seattle's injured reserve list. He missed several practices with a bruised shoulder.

The Seahawks also announced second-year tackle Wayne Hunter has been suspended one game by the NFL for violation of the league's personal conduct policy. Hunter was involved in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend last summer.

•Nine-year veteran DE Regan Upshaw, who started only eight games after signing a five-year contract with Washington, was released.

•New England cut CB Terrell Buckley, 33, who played 31 games with the Patriots in the 2001 and 2002 seasons, winning one Super Bowl. He spent last season with the Miami Dolphins. He was selected with the fifth pick in the 1992 draft by Green Bay and also played for Denver.

•Buffalo released LB Jason Gildon and placed quarterback Travis Brown on injured reserve. Brown also sat out the entire 2003 season with an injury. Gildon, who holds the Pittsburgh Steelers' record with 77 sacks, was cut six weeks after the Bills signed the 10-year veteran in hopes of bolstering their pass rush.

Brown was angry about being deactivated for the season. Earlier, the Bills announced Brown was expected to miss four to six weeks. Team president Tom Donahoe said Aug. 30 that Brown's return could even come sooner, adding that the team was going to keep him on the active roster.

"When you tell me something and you repeatedly tell me something, and then totally come out of left field with something else, I just don't think that's the way you should do business," Brown said.

•Jarrett Payton, son of the late Walter Payton -- who was a former teammate of Titans coach Jeff Fisher's in Chicago -- was cut by Tennessee. Fisher said Payton knew the situation from the start. "He was going to be given an opportunity to get better. He took care of the ball in preseason games and to be evaluated. That's what we did. We kept our commitment to him," Fisher said.

•WR Joe Jurevicius was placed on the reserve non-football injury list and guard Kerry Jenkins was placed on injured reserve with a neck strain by Tampa Bay. Jurevicius was a major contributor when the Bucs won the Super Bowl two years ago, then missed most of last season with a knee injury that has been slow to heal. Back surgery the first week of training camp further delayed his return.

•Oakland placed strong safety Derrick Gibson on injured reserve three days after he dislocated his shoulder in the team's final preseason game. Gibson would have been a starter. "It's a time-consuming rehab," coach Norv Turner. "It probably could be 2½ to three months. It's one of those deals that when he got back, you're way beyond it."

•Dexter Jackson, the MVP of the 2003 Super Bowl, was placed on Arizona's injured list with a back problem. "Dexter's back just has not cleared up sufficient for him to play football, and that's what we're in, is the football business," coach Dennis Green said.