• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF #1 for Arthur Jeffrey and Kedric Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF going after two area defensive standouts

Published Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008 at 8:12 p.m.

The University of South Florida football team is going hard after Booker High's Arthur Jeffrey and Palmetto's Kedric Johnson.

The juniors, who figure to be the area's two top defensive players heading into their senior season, have already been offered scholarships and it's no secret they are a top priority for Bulls head coach Jim Leavitt.

Jeffrey is being recruited by just about every major college in the country and lists USF, LSU, Florida, FSU and Miami among his favorites. USF could have the edge because it's the closest to home, but there is a lot of recruiting to do before the next national signing day in February 2009.

There is a long way to go before the next signing day in February '09, but as of right now Johnson and Jeffery say USF is their number one choice. Johnson may be more firm on that because the Bulls were the first major college to offer and he has a special feeling about their All-American defensive end George Selvie.

Jeffrey says LSU is high on his list and he is also considering Florida, FSU and Miami. It means Leavitt will have to stay in contact with him for the next year.

The 6-4, 215 pound Johnson is somewhat of a late bloomer, similar to former Palmetto High receiver Joe Hills, who just finished his redshirt season at South Carolina. Both have flourished with the arrival of Ray Woodie, who took over the head coaching duties at his alma mater in the 2006 season.

Johnson, who says Selvie is his football idol, led Palmetto with 19 sacks and seven tackles for a loss. He is extremely fast coming off the edge and coaches say there is no quit in him. .

Johnson's numbers for a Palmetto High team that reached its Class 3A region semifinal are impressive. Among his personal highlights was a blocked punt he returned for a touchdown and an interception he also took the house.

Johnson was also credited with three forced fumbles, three pass deflections and two fumble recoveries. He had 40 tackles, including 20 solos and was heralded for his ability to pressure quarterbacks. It would take a lot for USF to lose him..

The best thing about Johnson is that he has the body that gives him a lot of room to get bigger and has the size most colleges want from a defensive end. His quickness has never been an issue.

The 6-4, 285-pound Jeffery says USF and LSU are his top two choices now. A desire to be close to his family could sway the defensive tackle to sign with the Bulls.

As a freshman, Jeffrey was good enough to earn a starting position on Booker�s 2005 team, which reached the Class 3A State championship game.

He isn't just big. Jeffrey is extremely quick and was the fastest defensive lineman in a Booker program that has always been know for speed.

Booker head coach Fred Gilmore said you just don't see many players with Jeffrey's size run as fast as he does. His technique is very sound and his effectiveness is all the more impressive beacuse he is double teamed nearly every play.

Last season, he blocked three field goals and two PATS, forced five fumbles and recovered two fumbles. He was credited with 11 sacks and 28 tackles for losses.

Last modified: Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008 at 9 p.m.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080213/BLOG46/386149180

• Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

I will be very happy if we get Kedric Johnson because he is a PLAYER.  But the real diamond would be Aurthur Jeffrey.  He is a stud that would help immediately, unlike KJ since we have Selvie, Bedford, et al.  Jeffrey and Nick Alajajian top my OL wish list.

• Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

we have alot of guys tht has USF 1 or 2 in their top 5 .

theres  1  guy  tht  had 90 tackles 14 sacks and 46 tfls !

Archived