• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Bay Area Top Talent

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Tampa Bay top talents

By Times Staff

Published August 31, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R.J.

SCHOOL: Citrus

POSITION/SIZE.: Running back/Cornerback, 5-9, 170

PAST PERFORMANCE: The shifty and speedy three-year starter is an elusive ball carrier with more than 2,000 career rushing yards. He's equally dangerous when he catches the ball and is a a talented defensive back, especially in man-to-man coverage.

ACADEMICS: 3.3 GPA

OTHER SPORT: Basketball.

FAVORITE COLLEGE: Florida State.

COACH'S COMMENT: "R.J. has all the skills to be a great football player." - Rik Haines

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "I'm a student of the game. I love football so much. I think you're going to see a lot more power from me this season. I used to try to run around people, but now I'd like to go over them more."

HARRISON BECK

SCHOOL: Countryside.

POSITION/SIZE: Quarterback, 6-2, 205

PAST PERFORMANCE: The right-hander threw a school-record 2,271 yards and 21 touchdowns last season to lead the Cougars to a berth in the region final against Class 4A state champion Armwood.

ACADEMICS: 3.4 GPA, 920 SAT

COLLEGE COMMITMENT: Nebraska

COACH'S COMMENT: "Harrison is the kind of guy that wants the ball in his hands. He's got a real competitive drive. That's what you want to see out of your quarterback." - John Davis.

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "We have some great receivers and are going to have a lot of options. It's going to be fun."

ALEX SUBER

SCHOOL: Jefferson

POSITION/SIZE: Running, back, 5-7, 160

PAST PERFORMANCE: In the open field, few players can get their hands on Suber, let alone bring him down. He has run a sub 4.4-second, 40-yard dash and is extremely quick making cuts. He finished the 2003 regular season with 1,011 yards and nine touchdowns and 1,950 all-purpose yards.

ACADEMICS: 3.5 GPA, 940 SAT

OTHER SPORT: Track

FAVORITE COLLEGES: Florida State, Florida, Rutgers, Mississippi, Middle Tennessee State

COACH'S COMMENT: "He's a weapon from any position. When we put him at wideout, we love to get him the ball because we know there isn't a linebacker that can hang with him. On top of that Alex is a great person. Very unselfish." - Mike Simmonds

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "I'll run up in there against the linebackers or go outside. Either way is fine with me. When I'm running behind my offensive line it's like running in the open field."

JAMEEL WILLIAMS, DEMETRIUS McCRAY, KALVIN BAILEY

SCHOOL: Armwood

POSITION/SIZE: Williams is a 5-11, 175-pound quarterback, McCray is a 6-0, 186-pound running back, and Bailey is a 6-1, 237-pound fullback

PAST PERFORMANCES: Williams: Finished 2003 with rushing 1,498 yards, including a team-high 130 yards in the 29-21 Class 4A final victory over Lake Gibson that earned him the game's MVP honors. He executes the Hawks' option offense with such precision opposing teams often don't seem to know where the ball is.

McCray: Rushed for 1,407 yards in 2003, often breaking off the big run, which helps explain his average of more than 10 yards a carry. McCray has been clocked at 4.47 in the 40 and has bench-pressed 320 pounds.

Bailey: Rushed for 1,733 yards last season in helping lead the Hawks to a 15-0 record and the Class 4A championship, the first for a Hillsborough County team in 34 years. He holds the Hawks' team record for the bench press at 400 pounds.

ACADEMICS: Williams has a 2.7 GPA, McCray has a 2.5 GPA and scored 820 on the SAT, and Bailey has a 2.6 GPA and scored 890 on the SAT.

OTHER SPORTS: Williams runs track, 110 hurdles, long jump and triple jump, McCray starts at shooting guard for the basketball team and runs track, and Bailey throws shot put.

FAVORITE COLLEGES: Williams favors Georgia Southern and Kansas State, McCray likes Auburn, North Carolina, South Carolina and Indiana, and Bailey likes Georgia Tech, Georgia and Southern California.

COACH'S COMMENT: "(Jameel) has such great instincts and makes such good decisions. I have total confidence in him." - Sean Callahan on Williams

"Demetrius is quite an athlete, strong and fast, and now that he's worked in the weight room so much in the offseason, he's even stronger and a little faster." - Callahan on McCray

"(Kalvin) has it all. The size, strength, speed and attitude. He's a dream." - Callahan on Bailey

IN THEIR OWN WORDS:"I like when the pressure is on. I want to show people that I can rise to the occasion and get the job done." - Williams

"If I had a chance to juke a person or run them over, I'd rather run them over.." - McCray

"My favorite part of the game is when I make a big play and the crowd goes crazy. I love that roar of the crowd." - Bailey

THEO WILSON

SCHOOL: Dunedin

POSITION/SIZE: Quarterback, 5-11, 170

PAST PERFORMANCE: The multitalented quarterback was electrifying last season, rushing for 710 yards and throwing for 1,807 yards to lead the Falcons to their second straight playoff appearance.

ACADEMICS: 2.0 GPA, nonqualifier

OTHER SPORT: Track

FAVORITE COLLEGE: Florida State and Miami

COACH'S COMMENT: "He's the most athletic guy I've coached since Tim Carter at Lakewood and he's in the NFL. I don't know whether Theo will go the same route, but he certainly is gifted." - Mark Everett.

A.J. TRUMP

SCHOOL: Clearwater Central Catholic.

POSITION/SIZE: O-Line, 6-4, 285 pounds

PAST PERFORMANCE: Behind this behemoth, the Marauders rushed for 2,242 yards last season and advanced to the region semifinal. Paul Raven and Bobby Floyd benefitted the most with nearly 2,000 yards rushing combined.

ACADEMICS: 3.0, 1110 SAT

OTHER SPORT: None.

FAVORITE COLLEGES: Florida, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, USF.

COACH'S COMMENT: "A.J. has been a talent for years. There's a reason why he is being recruited by several big schools." - Mike Jalazo.

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "I'm the captain, and I get to play two positions this season (guard and tackle). We should have a good year."

LOUIS MURPHY

SCHOOL: Lakewood.

POSITION/SIZE: Wide receiver, 6-3, 176

PAST PERFORMANCE: A game-breaker who is the threat to score every play, Murphy was a bright spot in an 0-10 2003 season. He caught 28 passes for 442 yards and three touchdowns.

ACADEMICS: 3.17 GPA, 950 SAT

OTHER SPORTS: Basketball and track

FAVORITE COLLEGE: Commited to Florida.

COACH'S COMMENT: "Louis is a great athlete. We hope to get the ball in his hands and see if we can make plays." - Brian Bruch.

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "We have a lot of players coming back, and I have high hopes that we can improve upon last season. I'm not even focusing on 0-10."

DANNY TOLLEY

SCHOOL: Wesley Chapel

POSITION/SIZE: Offense/Defensive tackle, 6-6, 300

PAST PERFORMANCE: Now in his third year starting at left tackle and second at defensive tackle, Tolley combines size, strength, skill and speed to lead one of the area's top rushing offenses. Last season the two-way starter had 23 tackles, five assists, two tackles for a loss and a forced fumble on defense. He was voted first-team All-Sunshine Athletic Conference by Pasco County coaches and named to the Times' All-Suncoast second team. Entering this season the Orlando Sentinel's Bill Buchalter ranked Tolley the 10th best offensive-line prospect in the state and 63rd on his list of Florida's Top 100 recruits.

ACADEMICS: Not only is Tolley already academically-qualified with a 3.5 GPA, but he also is taking dual-enrollment classes for college credit.

OTHER SPORTS: Weightlifting

FAVORITE COLLEGES: Auburn, Florida, South Florida, South Carolina.

COACH'S COMMENT: "When he comes at somebody, he's going with all 300 pounds. It's not like he just uses his hands. He knows how to use his body. If we get him out there on a pull, well, it'll be hard for people to get by him." - John Castelamare

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "Run blocking is probably my best feature, downblocking, getting the linebacker and getting to that second level. There's only a couple of plays where I get to pull. But it's a great feeling to go pull and get that cornerback when you're leading the way for the running back."

Next 40 Seniors

From Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas counties:

By Times Staff Writer

Published August 31, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerrell Lamb, RB, Northeast, 5-11, 170

Jason Harris, RB, Clearwater, 6-0, 195

Ted Larsen, DL, Palm Harbor U, 6-0, 255

Terrell Skinner, QB, Boca Ciega, 6-3, 190

Carl Teague, RB/LB, St. Petersburg Catholic, 6-0, 200

Billy Tapp, QB, St. Petersburg Catholic, 6-5, 210

James Boger, 6-4, 305, OL, Dixie Hollins

Dan Pucket, RB/LB, Dixie Hollins, 6-1, 220

Tyler McClintock, OL, Calvary Christian, 6-7, 270

Josh McKinnon, QB, Gibbs, 6-3, 185

Alex Cook, FS, Osceola, 6-4, 196

Ricky Rouse, WR, Dunedin, 6-2, 170

Justin Ross, QB, Tarpon Springs, 6-3, 180

Parker Miles, TE, Countryside, 6-4, 240

Reid Macko, Armwood, kicker

Matt Pepito, Crystal River, kicker

Ian Wald, Springstead, QB

Shane Collard, QB, Central, 5-10, 185

Jeremy Flowers, WR, Central, 6-0, 185

Tim Dow, Springstead, RB

Spencer Brown, FB/DE, Mitchell, 6-1, 225

Khalil Madani, OL/DL, Wesley Chapel, 6-3, 290

Nathan Toole, FB/LB, Hudson, 6-2, 215

Scott Mays, RB/LB, Land O'Lakes, 5-10, 208

Nigel Bryant, FB/S, Wesley Chapel, 6-0, 185

O.J. Murdock, Middleton, WR, 6-1, 185

Josh Walker, Jefferson, DB, 6-0, 180

Antuan Lewis, DT, Jefferson, 6-4, 320

Devin Giles, DB, Jefferson, 6-0, 170

Andrew Adkins, LB, Leto, 6-2, 195

Conshario Johnson, WR, Middleton, 6-2, 180

Chris Alexander, QB, Riverview, 6-2, 175

R.J. Anderson, DB, Armwood, 6-1, 185

DeAngelo Davis, FB, Wharton, 6-0, 235

Frank Gil, OL, Jefferson, 6-2, 280

Arando Jamison, DB, Leto, 5-11, 185

Brandon Lattimore, DE, Hillsborough, 6-2, 230

Will Bergen, OL, Middleton, 6-4, 260

Walner Leandre, S, Plant, 5-10, 180

Steven Pimm, TE, Chamberlain, 6-3, 220

I'll just move it here with the list from the Times.

Thanx Howie !

Not sure if this has been posted here. If so, just delete it:

Players To Watch

Published: Aug 26, 2004

The Tribune has projected the top five players at each position. They are listed in alphabetical order.

QUARTERBACK: Chris Alexander, Riverview, Sr.; Jarred Fayson, Hillsborough, Jr.; Derek Hatcher, Berkeley, Sr.; Marcello Trigg, Robinson, Jr.; Jameel Williams, Armwood, Sr.

RUNNING BACK: Kalvin Bailey, Armwood, Sr.; Demetrius McCray, Armwood, Sr.; Matt Stwan, Durant, Sr.; Jimmy Sapp, Hillsborough, Jr.; Alex Suber, Jefferson, Sr.

RECEIVER: Darryl Jones, Hillsborough, Sr.; O.J. Murdock, Middleton, Sr.; Cody Overby, Chamberlain, Sr.; Dohnovan Simpson, Jefferson, Sr.; Keon Young, Wharton, Sr.

TIGHT END: Chris Chatterton, Jesuit, Sr.; Demarcus Henderson, Blake, Sr.; Stephen Pimm, Chamberlain, Sr.; Trent Pupello, Jefferson, Jr.; Steve McNeely, Riverview, Sr.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Zach Barton, Hillsborough, Sr.; William Bergen, Middleton, Sr.; Antuan Lewis, Jefferson, Sr.; Chad Peterson, Armwood, Sr.; Mitch Stanislaus, Jesuit, Sr.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Jake Cross (Crealman), Armwood, Jr.; Frank D'Amico, Durant, Sr.; Russ Kenderdine, Robinson, Sr.; Brandon Lattimore, Hillsborough, Sr.; Limon Reed, Chamberlain, Sr.

LINEBACKER: DeAngelo Davis, Wharton, Sr.; James Jolly, Armwood, Sr.; Stephan Knight, Hillsborough, Sr.; Donte Spires, Plant, Sr.; Dougie Thompson, Armwood, Jr.

DEFENSIVE BACK: R.J. Anderson, Armwood, Sr.; Victor Arboleda, Middleton, Sr.; Devin Giles, Jefferson, Sr.; Clay Collins, Wharton, Sr.; Josh Walker, Jefferson, Sr.

KICKER/PUNTER: Delbert Alvarado, Robinson, Jr.; Reid Macko, Armwood, Sr.; Darren deRochemont, Armwood, So.; Nick Lomartire, Chamberlain, Sr.; Kevin Savage, King, Sr.

http://prepsports.tbo.com/prepsports/MGBEKMLUBYD.html