• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Recruiting Breakdown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

On the field the Big East appears to be on the rise, but in the recruiting ranks the conference took a hit this year. Every team in the conference except two Syracuse and Cincinnati finished lower than they did one year ago. The other six teams all dropped compared to where they finished last season.

56. South Florida Bulls

Star of the Class: David Bedford and Kion Wilson

Sleeper of the Class: Mark Popek

USF was on a roller coaster ride this season, starting out like gang busters before fading for a spell. Nonetheless, the Bulls have the college football world on notice that they are a program on the rise and ahead of schedule. USF rarely ventures outside the Sunshine State to pull players but they went to Georgia and got a solid running back prospect in Demetrius Murray (Buford, Ga.). He is a downhill back that is most effective between the tackles and he has a knack for finding the end zone. Daniel Bryant is certainly one of the top prospects at receiver in the state of Florida while the same can be said for tight end Jeff Hawkins. The Bulls did well up front, especially with tackle Mark Popek and guard Justin Green. On the other side of the ball, safety Quavon Taylor was one of many stars on the top high school team in the country (Miami Northwestern) and he is a steal at safety. USF will get immediate help from the Junior College route with defensive ends Craig Marshall and Bedford along with linebacker Kion Wilson. Wide receivers Anthony Jones and Theo Wilson also come to Tampa via JUCO. Bulls fans should keep their eyes on the 6-foot-7, 309-pound, Popek because there just aren’t many lineman that size who move that well. Overall, this is a good crop for USF and Head Coach Jim Leavitt.

Still waiting on: Tommy Streeter, B.J. Daniels, Martavious Odoms, George Baker and Leonard Johnson.

One that got away: Brandon Washington

http://westvirginia.scout.com/a.z?s=159&p=2&c=726219

• Content Count:  277

I agree with the article that the Big East is taking a hit.  I'm not seeing schools like WVU and Louisville getting the guys they used to get.  I still think Pitt is the class of the conference for this year's recruiting class, but we can overtake them with some nice signings tomorrow.

• Content Count:  500

If we land Streeter and BJ the class wil jump oh...10 spots imo.

• Content Count:  883

I did notice that WVU and UL recruits don't look as good as they have in the recent past.  Pitt definitely looks like the BE winner at this point.  But that can all change tomorrow if we can get a few big names out of the Streeter, Daniels, Baker, Odoms etc. bunch. 

Archived