• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Backs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

SEASON IN REVIEW

Murphy's abilities came into full view

Sunday, December 12, 2004

BY MIKE HELFGOT

For the Star-Ledger

Jerome Murphy started 28 games at safety for Elizabeth, and coach Jeff Wiener doesn't recall a single bad one.

But Wiener did detect a difference in his 6-1, 175-pound safety while watching Elizabeth games on tape this season.

"I don't remember him ever grading low, but there would be defensive sequences where you didn't see him," Wiener said. "Now it's like 98 percent of the plays where you see him around the ball. I don't think I've ever had a better safety."

The best part for Wiener and Elizabeth was that Murphy continued to get better as the season went on. He was a force in the team's first-round playoff game, routinely making big plays when Elizabeth shut down Bayonne's powerful back Jerome Hayes, an All-Stater, in a 22-6 Elizabeth victory.

Murphy brought his game to a level he didn't realize he was capable of in the North Jersey, Section 2, Group 4 playoff semifinal the next week, recording 19 tackles when Elizabeth fell to Phillipsburg, 14-12, despite holding Phillipsburg to less than 200 total yards.

"It seemed like I knew what they were going to do every time," Murphy said. "I had never put in that much work before."

Murphy's willingness to put in overtime is part of the reason Wiener is sure he deserves a Division 1 scholarship. Many schools have expressed interest, and coaches from Connecticut, Nebraska and Michigan State visited Elizabeth High last week, but none have offered. South Florida may be the closest to doing so.

"Colleges are really missing the boat on this kid," Wiener said. "He's a no-risk kid, there's no downside. He's 6-1, he can play corner or safety, he can hit, he can run and he's a good kid and a good student. If anything he's too thin, but that's why they have training tables. He's going to grow to be 200 pounds."

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:wNUsZPVoFdcJ:www.nj.com/hssports/ledger/index.ssf%3F/base/sports-0/1102816230213830.xml+Jerome-Murphy%2BElizabeth&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

Falling out?: Auburn's chance of landing Pompano Beach, Fla., cornerback Walter McFadden may be fading. He was expected to be choosing between Auburn and Michigan State, but a trip to South Florida last weekend clouded the picture.

"This is No. 1," McFadden said after his visit with the Bulls. "I didn't know a lot about USF before the trip and coach (Earl) Lane said they didn't think they really had a chance with me, but they've entered a whole new stage. I'm thinking pretty hard about them right now."