• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Great Band Tradition USF Should Look Into

Won't work at RayJay... we have to leave right after the game ends.

We wanted to do our combined band thing with UCF after the game inside the stadium(was done inside the citrus bowl last year) but we were told we'd have to pay to staff the stadium for the extra 30-45 minutes which totaled in the thousands of $$

Another reason to hate Malcom "Montgomery Burns" Glazer and the greedy Buccaneers.

Just so everyone knows... the Buccaneers don't pay the RayJay staff at ANY event, including Bucs games.  The Tampa Sports Authority pays the staff out of the facility rental, including rent received from the Buccaneers (yes, they technically pay rent, $300K+ per year).  If USF wanted to pay a little more for this, USF certainly could.

Has nothing to do, whatsoever, with Glazer and the Bucs.

NOTE: If USF had an OCS, the staff would have to be paid to stay longer, too.  Don't make this about RayJay/OCS.  There are far more issues around which the argument can revolve ... this is not one of them.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  349
  • Days Won:  0

I was at a college game and the drumline did a number in front of the student section on the field at the end of halftime right before the third quarter.  It got everyone pumped.

That would be cool

My senior year in High School, we started doing a little pep band thing for the 3rd quarter. It was just a small group... usually 3 trumpets, 2 horns, 3 trombones/baritones, and 1-2 tubas and then most of the drum line that wanted to do it, and a drum major. And we would go play in front of the stands for most of the 3rd quarter, since the band would take the 3rd quarter off as a break... was a lot of fun, and we had a great reaction from the fans and the football team (and being a band member, you rarely get any thanks or comments from the football team, despite being out there at every single game supporting them and then they never are out to see you or support you when you are doing your performances and competitions).

• Content Count:  996

I wanna say it was the WVU game where the drumline came right up to the student section after halftime and played for us.  It was SO awesome and it definetly got the students fired up!  I hope they keep this up!  HOT was amazing in El Paso!!

-Gurly

• Content Count:  645

I wanna say it was the WVU game where the drumline came right up to the student section after halftime and played for us.  It was SO awesome and it definetly got the students fired up!  I hope they keep this up!  HOT was amazing in El Paso!!

-Gurly

Hey Gurly,

I think my wife and I almost ran into you in the El Paso airport...literally.

You were walking along and texting on you phone and we only looked up at the last second.

I probably should have said something to you, but I didn't want to think I was some internet stalker!  :P

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Won't work at RayJay... we have to leave right after the game ends.

We wanted to do our combined band thing with UCF after the game inside the stadium(was done inside the citrus bowl last year) but we were told we'd have to pay to staff the stadium for the extra 30-45 minutes which totaled in the thousands of $$

Another reason to hate Malcom "Montgomery Burns" Glazer and the greedy Buccaneers.

Just so everyone knows... the Buccaneers don't pay the RayJay staff at ANY event, including Bucs games.  The Tampa Sports Authority pays the staff out of the facility rental, including rent received from the Buccaneers (yes, they technically pay rent, $300K+ per year).  If USF wanted to pay a little more for this, USF certainly could.

Has nothing to do, whatsoever, with Glazer and the Bucs.

NOTE: If USF had an OCS, the staff would have to be paid to stay longer, too.  Don't make this about RayJay/OCS.  There are far more issues around which the argument can revolve ... this is not one of them.

Beat me to it Jim.... Thanks.

• Content Count:  2,363

I was at a college game and the drumline did a number in front of the student section on the field at the end of halftime right before the third quarter.  It got everyone pumped.

That would be cool

My senior year in High School, we started doing a little pep band thing for the 3rd quarter. It was just a small group... usually 3 trumpets, 2 horns, 3 trombones/baritones, and 1-2 tubas and then most of the drum line that wanted to do it, and a drum major. And we would go play in front of the stands for most of the 3rd quarter, since the band would take the 3rd quarter off as a break... was a lot of fun, and we had a great reaction from the fans and the football team (and being a band member, you rarely get any thanks or comments from the football team, despite being out there at every single game supporting them and then they never are out to see you or support you when you are doing your performances and competitions).

I suggested something similar to this not long ago that seemed to be met with favor (HOTMello2005 passed it on to the HOT bigwigs) so this may be possible--I'd love to see it happen. But know, at least from what I can tell, the HOT DOES listen to suggestions from its fans, and I know I for one appreciate that immensely.

Archived