• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calm b/4 the storm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

Calm before the stormPosted October 17, 2007 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Oct 18, 2007 at 10:08 AM

PISCATAWAY, N.J. - How big is Thursday’s USF-Rutgers game? How about a Rutgers Stadium record 325 media credentials have been issued. Also there will be 10 NFL scouts and scouts from the Fiesta, Sugar, Sun and Meineke Car Care bowls.

Other notes from Jersey:

* Like Wednesday’s Tampa Tribune, the Newark Star-Ledger also had a front page story on 1A about their “hometown†team. While the Tribune’s story was about the debate nationally whether USF should be ranked No. 2, the Star-Ledger’s front page story “Football’s darling now hears snarling†questioned accusations of Rutgers running up the score against Navy and Norfolk State and claims of dirty play by Rutgers from Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen and Syracuse’s Greg Robinson.

The Star-Ledger also has two front page stories in its sports section on USF (who do they think they are, The Tampa Tribune?). The Star-Ledger also reports that New York Mets 3B David Wright is expected to attend the game.

* Wednesday’s New York Post had a full page feature on USF with the lead about the Mons Venus jumping on the Bulls bandwagon. The photo they used was not of any Mons Venus employees, but of DE George Selvie.

* USF volunteer coach Patrick St. Louis, who played the past four seasons for USF, will do the player introductions for ESPN, USF assistant AD Chris Freet said. Former Rutgers FB Brian Leonard will introduce the Scarlet Knights.

* Still not convinced the entire nation wants to know more about the Bulls? The NFL Network contacted me Wednesday to tape a segment about USF, but I was on my way to the airport and unable to do it. I then recommended Tribune columnist Joey Johnston, but he had prior commitments and couldn’t do it either. At that point, they were probably pretty desperate so I’m not sure if they still did the USF segment or not.

For those who absolutely have to see me stutter on live television, I’ll be on Tampa’s NewsChannel 8 Thursday at 5:30 p.m. and 6:20 p.m. Radio folks around the country also continue to call in wanting to know more about USF: I’ve heard from on radio shows from these non-USF outposts such as Seattle, Atlanta, Louisville, New Jersey, Miami and even National Public Radio (NPR).

* If you want to appear on TV yourself head to the Sun Dome for the Thursday watch party. It’s open to all USF fans, not just students. ESPN will provide live cut ins. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

* For complete coverage of the USF-RU game, check out Thursday’s Tribune: we’ll have a front page 1A story from Martin Fennelly from Rutgers campus and their thoughts on the Bulls; columns by Fennelly and Johnston on the big game, guest columns from former Bulls C Ryan Benjamin and former Scarlet Knights TE Tom Pernetti, a Q and A with ESPN’s Chris Fowler, my game advance and full page game day preview (complete with my prediction).

* Weather at kick off is expected to be in the high 60s with a 30 percent chance of rain.

:gobulls Media is all over this. We have to and will represent.  ~U~

Archived