• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doctor of Physical Therapy Drawing Top Students Nationwide

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

http://hscweb3.hsc.usf.edu/health/now/?p=203

One-hundred sixty-four students vie for coveted 37 spots.

For one student, it began with a recommendation from a professor in Virginia. For another, it was the news that MD’s would be part of the equation. And for even more students, the road to Tampa began with an internet visit from places like Wisconsin, Ohio, North Carolina and more. Ask any one of the newly arrived Doctor of Physical Therapy students what started them on their journey to the University of South Florida’s School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences and their answers sounds surprisingly the same. Each student tells the story of how excited they were to learn of the interprofessional curriculum.

One-hundred sixty-four candidates, from across the country, vied for the coveted 37 spots. This week, the chosen few, thirty-two women and five men, arrived to take their place in the Class of 2010.

“That (interprofessional curriculum) gives me more confidence that I will get all I need to be among the best physical therapists in the healthcare systemâ€Â, said Rhodalyn Merene, a graduate of Kean University in New Jersey. She admits that, at first, she was unaware of the school’s practice of combining physical therapy and medical students for key classes, but once she found out, she says she knew she was in the right place!

Heather Matako, a graduate of Ohio State University, puts it this way. “Working with doctors can be intimidating, but when you’ve been in class with the MD students and see that some of the training we get is similar, it gives you more confidence.†This student from Columbus, Ohio echoes the feelings of many DPT students who feel the program gives them an “edgeâ€Â.

It’s the proverbial “music to the ears†to the school’s director, Dr. William Quillen. “Students have chosen to come to the USF School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences because of the rigorous, integrated, interprofessional education provided in the College of Medicine and the opportunity to become part of the USF Health where students from medicine, nursing, public health and physical therapy have the opportunity to learn together to be prepared to practice together in the futureâ€Â, said Dr. Quillen.

The USF Doctor of Physical Therapy is based in the College of Medicine. Approved by the Florida Board of Governors in 2004, USF became the first public university in Florida to receive approval to begin the professional Doctoral of Physical Therapy degree program.

The Class of 2010 is comprised of students holding undergraduate degrees in biomedical science, psychology, nutrition and exercise science, microbiology, and athletic training, among others. Hailing from schools like Ohio State University, University of Wisconsin, Vanderbilt and North Carolina State, the class’s overall undergraduate grade point average was 3.56 – with an average GPA of 3.60 in upper division courses and an average 3.62 GPA in pre-requisite courses. The Class of 2010 is the third to enroll in USF’s Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, beginning their educational journey on July 30, 2007 – a journey that will span more than three years.

Matt Yang, a graduate of Virginia Commonwealth, first heard of the USF program from a professor back in Fairfax. “I wanted to experience life in Floridaâ€Â, he said, “and with the older population here, I think I’ll get more opportunities to experience geriatric physical therapy here and practice too.â€Â

Archived