• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leader, Mentor and Educator Retires from School of Accountancy

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

Some reading for the USF accountants. As a recent grad of the accounting program at USF, I have not had the chance to personally meet/interact with Dr. Keith, but I have definitely felt the benefits of graduating from such a strong program that he oversaw for such a long time.

http://coba.usf.edu/services/career/newsletter/July07/keithretirement.htm

USF’s School of Accountancy enjoys an outstanding local and national reputation and is often cited as a jewel in the College of Business’ crown.  During a recent ten-year period, the School was ranked tops in the nation on CPA exam pass rates for candidates with advanced degrees.  USF graduates have placed first in the state, and top three in the nation, on the CPA exam and our alumni are highly sought after new professionals.

Bob Keith's family attended the retirement reception in May.

While a number of people helped earn this reputation and build the quality program that is its foundation, many people would recognize Robert (Bob) Keith as the cornerstone of the School.  Keith, who served as Director of the School of Accountancy for 14 years, retires August 6 after 38 years of service to the University.

“Bob has been a leader, mentor, educator, and key part of the School of Accountancy for nearly four decades, and ‘good job’ doesn’t begin to cover all that he’s given of himself,†said Dean Robert Forsythe. “He’s built a strong faculty team and built a solid, respected program that many corporate leaders point to when listing the area’s strengths.â€Â

One such company, Coca-Cola Enterprises, brought a 700+ employee financial center to the Brandon area in 2001, and in a recent Tampa Tribune article, company spokeswoman Michele McKillip, specifically cited the School of Accountancy as part of the reason the company chose the area.

“The University of South Florida has an outstanding accountancy program,' she is quoted as saying.  “There's a high quality local labor force there.â€Â

Keith is often reluctant to toot his own horn, but there are a number of faculty and staff who freely do so, including Stephanie Bryant, incoming Director of the School of Accountancy.

Colleagues and industry professionals alike stopped by to wish Bob Keith well at his retirement reception in May

“As I prepare to assume the Director’s position, I am reminded of how very fortunate we are to have had such inspired leadership for the past 14 years,†she said.  “Under Bob’s guidance, the School of Accountancy has become a nationally recognized research program.â€Â

“Bob has been deeply committed to hiring and retaining quality faculty,†she said, pointing out that the reputation of the program is built upon the strength of its faculty.  “My challenge is to continue the work Bob has done, growing our national reputation, hiring and retaining the very best faculty, developing relationships with the professional community, and serving our students.â€Â

Bryant is not alone in praising Keith.  William Tapp, Chair of the School’s Advisory Council, notes that while there is anxiety during times of change, Keith’s leadership during the transitional period will ensure that the School continues to thrive.

“A great deal of the ease of transition can be attributed to the leadership, dedication, and vision of those stepping aside,†he said, pointing to Keith’s team-player attitude and servant leadership.

“Bob has always deflected attention and recognition away from himself, always thinking of others first,†he said.  Quoting Harvard Professor John P. Kotter, Tapp said Keith has “helped define what the future should look like, aligned people with that vision, and inspired them to make it happen, despite obstacles. Simply put, we would not be what or where we are without Bob Keith,†he said.

"Simply put, we would not be what or where we are without Bob Keith.â€Â

In recognition of his service to the School, the College, and the University, the Dr. Robert M. Keith Endowed Teaching Professorship was announced in May.

• Content Count:  1,812

I remember getting in his class and taking the first test of the 3 he had the whole semester and scoring a 34 with a curve. I met with him and he told me I should consider another career. I spoke my mind and then dropped his class, took it the next semester and was on Deans list from that day forward.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I was happy to get out of financial and managerial accounting alive and move on to something else. They may be a great school, but they put a couple of full-bore Melvins in charge of the gateway courses.

• Content Count:  1,812

I was happy to get out of financial and managerial accounting alive and move on to something else. They may be a great school, but they put a couple of full-bore Melvins in charge of the gateway courses.

Could not agree with you more, they sure are proud on many people they shake out.

The real bad thing was that i took Whittacker in St Pete for F&M Accounting 1, then took Keiths class.

Archived