• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Athletic Budget for FY07 was over $32-million....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Below is an article on forme USF staffer, Rick Costello describing his new position at Delware State. It mentions that USF's athletic budget was "$32-million". Not bad considering that just three years ago the school was only at $17-million.  Considering the new revenue sources the department has added such as the new deal from ISP and the increased BigEast revenue from its new TV deal, USF could very well be looking at a $40-million budget by the end of the decade.

I wonder what the budget will be for FY2008?

Costello has high hopes for DSU athletics

By KRISTIAN POPE, The News Journal

Posted Sunday, July 22, 2007

DOVER -- When Delaware State lured Chuck Bell out of retirement in July 2005 to turn around its struggling athletic department, he believed he would be active at the university beyond his three-year contract, simply to see through the school's ideas for change and growth in athletics.

However, less than a year before Bell's contract was to expire, the school announced he would resign for personal reasons. He was the school's first Caucasian in the role of athletic director.

On Monday, DSU turns to Rick Costello, a Bell protégé and former associate athletic director at the University of South Florida in Tampa, as Bell's replacement.

At the request of president Allen Sessoms, Bell, 61, sought out Costello, 40, for the DSU position. It is Costello's first job as the head of a department. Costello, who worked with Bell at San Jose State from 2001 to '03, called him a "mentor." A native of Philadelphia, Costello graduated from Muhlenberg College and later worked as a budget analyst at Lehigh University. At USF, Costello handled a $32 million athletics budget and saw the school move its football program from NCAA Division I-AA to I-A, the highest football level, in 2001 and join the Big East Conference in 2005.

Like Bell and Sessoms, Costello sees change at the historically black college as inevitable. Just what kind of change, or when it will come, is unknown. But, as Costello reveals in this interview, change almost surely will happen under his watch at Delaware State.

In what condition did Chuck Bell leave the department?

I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't think I could be successful here. I'm flattered Chuck Bell would recommend me. He did an outstanding job and I'm thankful for president Sessoms to let me run this department. I was attracted here because of [sessoms'] vision, his vision for academics and working hand-in-hand to tell the story of Delaware State. I think it's an exciting story.

At what chapter is Delaware State in this story you'd like to help tell?

I believe it's a university with outstanding leadership with an exciting goal and vision to grow and improve its athletic programs. The community of Dover seems to be a community that's growing tremendously and has an exciting future. We are two things working together, and I look forward to being a contributing member of that team.

What's your first priority as athletic director at Delaware State?

The first thing is getting to know the internal staff and what their priorities are, and then get to know the external community. We're committed to excellence, both academically and athletically. We're working with student-athletes. When we get to work, I want my staff to know how to cherish that position and to know our student-athletes are students first and athletes second. We expect them to be leaders and take advantage of this opportunity to be a scholarship athlete.

How will you start your first week at DSU?

What I've done is set up appointments with everyone in our department. I want to get to know them outside the job. That's how you build solid relationships. I want to let them identify what are their greatest opportunities, greatest challenges and what their challenges are for 2008. I look forward to sitting down with them and working through that and seeing how we can build on an outstanding foundation.

What kind of manager are you? Hands-on or hands-off?

My management style is to let our folks know the door is always open. I'll be there 24/7, 365. I also believe in bringing in quality individuals and let them do the job they were meant to do. I'll be a leader and mentor for our staff. We have an excellent staff. There is a fine line [regarding] when to jump in and when to get out of the way.

What do you know about the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference?

It's a conference of tremendous history. I know how our basketball teams have performed in the MEAC is very impressive and our football team is doing very well in it. I want to continue the outstanding growth, not only in the conference, but within Delaware State athletics, as well.

Your experience is in finance. What shape financially is Delaware State's athletic department?

I see this university as very fiscally responsive but, like many schools, [it] has to be responsive to the bottom line and hear the needs of the community. It will continue to evaluate the programs that make sense financially. You have to run the university like any other enterprise if you want it to grow.

Will you have to cut any sports at Delaware State?

I wouldn't have taken this job if I had to cut sports. My vision is that it's a program, which continues to present opportunities for men and women -- one that excites the Delaware Valley and the state and is building, growing ... absolutely grasping the imagination of folks externally and internally.

President Sessoms' goal includes bringing the football team to Division I-A. The men's and women's basketball programs have reached the NCAA Tournament twice in the past three seasons. Which is more important to the school's future, football or the basketball programs?

I wouldn't say one is more important than the other. I only want to see across-the-board excellence. Whether a young woman plays soccer or is on the equestrian team, it's about the [athletic] experience they have and outstanding academic experience they have. I want them when they get their degree after four years to say that they had an excellent time. If we do that, then we've met our mission.

Do you see this job as a stepping-stone or one you'll be in for many years?

I like this job and I'm excited to be here. I want to grow and I want to see them be very successful, both athletically and academically. I look forward to teaming with our staff and enjoying every day. Sometimes, we get caught in the rat race and always looking forward in our careers. I just want to look at every day and enjoy the most that we have.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070722/SPORTS08/707220389/1002/SPORTS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

The best part is that only a small part of that upgrade is due to bonds on facilities.  Many schools see their budgets rise only when they start doing facility projects, because they're forced to expand the budget for those projects.  While we do have the bonds on the Athletics Center, it is a very small part of the budget.  Our budget is growing due to incredible expansion of revenue streams, and that is a good position to be in.  We've still got a ways to go to be where we really want to be, but we're seeing awesome growth.

Archived