• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New USF Library Proposal?

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

I remember this being printed in the Oracle back in April about a proposal for a new Library. Now I know that this was all before the budget cuts, etc. but does anybody know what ever happened to this proposal?

Students in the Social Sciences and Humanities departments may soon have access to a state-of-the-art facility free of leaking ceilings if the Board of Trustees approves a proposal presented by Provost Renu Khator to the Faculty Senate on Wednesday.

Pending authorization by the Board of Trustees and the statewide Board of Governors, the proposed Five-Year Capital Improvement Plan requests state funds be used to build a new $87.5 million, eight-floor building for the Social Sciences and Humanities departments.

Aimed at alleviating overcrowding on one side of campus, the building would replace the current Social Sciences building, which faculty members have called a health hazard citing odd smells, a lack of hot water and broken toilets.

"It's bordering on uninhabitable," said Steven Tauber, chair of the Faculty Senate's Ad Hoc Committee on Facilities. "I do most of my research at home because of the conditions in (Sociology)."

Calling the new plan an example of shared governance in action, Tauber emphasized that the building fits in with USF's expressed goals as a tier-one research university while serving the needs of students.

"Obviously, in the Social Sciences and Humanities we do our research," Tauber said. "We don't have labs, but this building will give us access to what we need."

The proposal also includes plans to raise private funds for a new library.

According to Vice Provost Ralph Wilcox, the library was originally slated for a massive renovation but said "a legitimate, mature research university deserves a functional, welcoming library."

The new library would become the centerpiece of the USF library system, a pivotal part of the University's bid to become the newest member of the American Association of Universities.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

SOC was a hellhole 10 years ago when I started, so I'm sure it's even worse now. I think they may still have some of the original vending machines from the 60s in there.

Actually all of the other original buildings need to go - Cooper, Math/Physics, HMS, SOC, and especially the original SVC building, which looks like a housing project.

• Content Count:  280

SOC was a hellhole 10 years ago when I started, so I'm sure it's even worse now. I think they may still have some of the original vending machines from the 60s in there.

Actually all of the other original buildings need to go - Cooper, Math/Physics, HMS, SOC, and especially the original SVC building, which looks like a housing project.

Tell me about it. Around two years ago I was able to arrange Provost Khator to come speak to my fraternity, and the office that handles space reservations gave us seemingly the ugliest classroom in that area of the campus. Needless to say I was mortified that she had to speak in that room. Luckily she was great about it and the event turned out well. Glad improvements are on the way.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I would love to see a large well done Library built in the center of campus as a centerpiece or focal point for the campus.  Then remodel Cooper, that is an ugly building inside and out.

• Content Count:  698

The stairwell in Cooper felt like you were in prison. That needs a big time face lift. It would be nice to see the center of campus all done up, to make the main entrance a little more appealing

Archived