• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting Read on the future of State Universities....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

It was in reference to the campus being on the water and the sail boats all around it. I believe no other public college in Florida is located directly on the ocean/gulf. With the addition on the campus of the NOAA and marine studies and the expansion of housing and other programs it is a beautiful campus. Everyone should go there if they get the chance, they used to rent you sailboats for free with student Id, they still may.

FYI - it used to be called the Bayboro campus because it is on a somewhat deep basin called Bayboro along with the Dali museum

I hear the campus is top notch.  I've been meaning to go that way and check out the Dali Museum.  I want to see what my hometown(the original location for the Dali Museum) lost when they failed to secure zoning(yeah, I know, major BS).

Where was the museum originally? They actually just finished a renovation of the museum.

They have expanded the campus down there by buying old buildings and renovating them, or is some cases moving in old buildings and naming them all their original names. This gives the campus a kind of flow into the city of St Pete much like Carnegie- Mellon in Pittsburgh and Pitt to some extent.

It is kind of amazing considering how (for lack of a better term) bad the Tampa campus has looked in the past and still to some extent (some buildings and sections) still does IMO.

The original museum was in a small suburb in Cleveland, Ohio called Beachwood.  It was there from 1971 until 1982.  In 1980, the high demand and smaller building forced relocation to be looked into.  The corrupt politicians for Beachwood at the time didn't want to air condition a big warehouse that would have been the new Dali Museum, so they looked elsewhere.  When St. Pete, with the backing of the state presented a plan to bring it to FLA, it was a deal too good to pass up.

The problem with the Tampa campus are those old bunker buildings.  They really are an eyesore, but those new ones look great.  They should really look into tearing down and building over some of those old buildings.

Pretty interesting on the musuem, St Pete needed it at the time and Dali spent a good amount of time here so it made sense.

The worst building in Tampa is the business building, everytime it rained it would fill with water, it is trully a bunker.

Seriously?  Ouch.  Well, our business building wasn't much better.  There was a design flaw when it was built.  Normally, when brick is used on a building, little pegs are used to connect the brick to the building so the wall wouldn't fall.  For some reason, that wasn't done on the original building and they had to redo the entire exterior.  It took forever to do, but is finally done.

Archived