• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

US Men's Soccer: March 25th

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Tampa's world-class soccer event attracting wide interest, sales

Tampa Bay Business Journal - 2:58 PM EST Tuesday, February 27, 2007

by Alexis Muellner

There has been strong fan response to the first-ever world-class soccer match coming to Raymond James Stadium March 25.

When the U.S. Men's Soccer team meets the national team of Ecuador, it will be the first game of its kind in the Tampa Bay area in nearly a decade.

As of Tuesday, more than 12,000 tickets have been sold for the event.

"That compares favorably to some of our more popular events we played last year," said Paul Marstaller, director of events at the U.S. Soccer Federation in Chicago.

That includes the three games for U.S. Soccer last year leading up to the World Cup. Those were played in Nashville, Tenn., Cleveland and Hartford, Conn., and eventually had attendance of between 22,000 and 28,000, Marstellar said.

While there is still a month to go, the 12,000 mark bodes well.

"We're hoping that's the case," he said. "We're still not yet at the goal that we set internally so there's work to be done, but we're very optimistic that we will meet and exceed our internal expectations for this game."

Other data that bodes well for local tourism is geographic sales.

More than 18 percent of all tickets sold are from areas greater than 100 miles from the stadium, U.S. Soccer said.

"So clearly this is an event that will be bringing a significant number of folks that are not local to the region, into the area and have a benefit not only in the stands but in the local community as well," Marstellar said.

Tickets on sale now!

FIELD SEATING

US $147.50

LEVEL 2 - 2ND LEVEL OF 3 LEVELS

US $23.30 - US $65.50

LEVEL 1 - LOWEST OF 3 LEVELS

US $16.75 - US $47.50

LEVEL 3 - LAST LEVEL OF 3 LEVELS

US $23.30 - US $33.50

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I'm surprised we're getting this game in Tampa.  I'd think they would want it at a larger city that would truly come out and support the team in bigger numbers.  Somewhere like Boston or Columbus or San Jose.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

I'm having a friend fly in from Houston for this game (she's from Ecuador), and I couldn't possibly be more excited.  Will be tailgating with friends at 7am at Ray Jay... this is going to be awesome.  It's a full FIFA International Date, so it looks like we'll have most of the national team there.  

This might be one of those Bill Simmons and the Celtics situations though where you almost have to root against your own team.  I really don't want Bradley as our permanent coach (though I think the way Gulati and US Soccer has treated him is just appalling), and I really hope Landon Donovan stinks because we can't continue to use him as a starting striker/attacking midfielder and think we're going to win when it counts.  The fastest route to making that happen is for them to lay an egg at Ray Jay, everyone panicking, and US Soccer giving Klinsmann whatever it is he wants.  

I'm still dreaming of Klinsmann as our coach in 2010.  And if the man who has done more to limit the growth of the game in this country then anyone alive, US Soccer President/pompous schmuck Sunil Guilati, would just give Klinsmann the control he wants and deserves, he'd be wearing red, white, and blue already.

US Soccer fandom is Godless Torture.  

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I agree.  Gulati not giving Bradley a simple yes or no is ridiculous, and the longer this goes on the more US Soccer will suffer.  Its funny that Donovan only shows up it seems when we play Mexico.  We should see some fresh new faces compared to this past Cup Team.  I'm thinking about going to this game to check out the scene.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928

I'll definitely be there. I already got the nod from my wife...it is on the day of our first wedding anniversary after all.  

Landon is a great player, but there are many around the world like him. That say something about US soccer, they put him on a pedestal and have him play that hybrid stricker/center midfield role that he's unofficially playing. It may be due to upper management but I do agree that some changes need to be made. US Soccer is in a sorry state and it sucks for us fans...there are possibly less US soccer fans in this country than USF fans...not really but it's pretty bad.

There is no support because we can't win, and we can't win because there is no support. Something has to give. A loss to Ecuador may start a snowball but doubt it. Plus, I want my W. So, I hope we win.

Also, there is U-17 game before this at 9:30 but I won't be going to see that.