• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Special Teams Recruiting?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

As excited as we all are for what is possibly shaping up to be the best recruiting class we've ever had, I'm concerned about special teams recruiting. I can't find a punter or a kicker on any of our recruit lists, and only one punter on our recruiting targets list who has not been made an offer. With the loss of Ean Randolph, our special teams play is in further need of attention.

Teachey definitely stepped it up this past year - but I tend to think that having Brandon Baker was a big advantage on special teams for the four/five years prior. Why are we not going after a punter after this year's obvious problems? Or are we?

In addition, with years of Gramaticas, the field goal kicking game was easily taken for granted. Now we've been in serious field goal kicking trouble, and it's been obvious a few times that we've taken risks associated with lack of trust in our field goal kicking game. It can't be that hard to find one, are we not recruiting for this?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't believe we usually offer scholarships to kickers.  I believe Benzer is still on schollie.  I am not sure how many we would be willing to have on scholarship.

Delverado looked very good at the end of the year... I think he'll be fine kicking FG's.  

He can also punt... as he started the year as our starting punter, but the muffed snaps cost him that position.

We definitely need to get more consistant, but I dont' think we are as bad off as people think with what we already have.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

yeah, i think from the pool of guys we already have that we'll have 2 step up.  teachey did ok.  i like the fake punt potential.  delverado tied the big east record for longest FG, so if he can just settle down and be consistent he'll be good to go.

aren't we going after some high-rated kicker, though?  curious that it doesnt show up on the recruiting websites.  maybe he committed somewhere else.

Rivals shows us after one top kicker... don't know the status of it though... probably won't sign him as apparently we are running out of room in this class.

I think he is from Clearwater.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  188

USF is only after one kicker, Michael Taylor.  He had an offer, actually still does, but with the numbers tightening he could be the first to get squeezed.

By the end of the week I should know if USF will still offer.

Josh Newberg

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  76

This is former D-ray Dave Martinez's kid.  As far as I can tell, Rivals is the only one reporting him as a potential recruit.  I read on Scout that USF does have scholarship offered to K Mickael Taylor. I believe there was a thread on this before but I can't find it now.

hum...Scout lists Michael Groody as a punter prospect.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  188

Nope, not a prospect.  I talked with him two weeks ago at an allstar game in Orlando.  Says he's probably going to Rutgers.  USF backed off a while ago.  

I thought he was off the site.  Thanks for the heads up  ;)

Josh Newberg

Nope, not a prospect.  I talked with him two weeks ago at an allstar game in Orlando.  Says he's probably going to Rutgers.  USF backed off a while ago.  

I thought he was off the site.  Thanks for the heads up  ;)

Josh Newberg

no problem  :)

Whether we get recruits or not, hopefully the kicking is more consistent and we can find a punt return replacement.