• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

South Florida doesn't see South Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

"South Florida" (Miami, Broward, Palm Beach, etc) NEVER talks about the University of South Florida.  We get 0 press down here.  I hate it.

In fact, they do talk about "USF,"  just not us!

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/florida_state_university/16324628.htm

Sun Sentinel not too bad... but forget the Herald or Palm Beach Post.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spusf18dec18,0,2769731.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Days Won:  22

Well this one was written in the FRONT page of the Sports Section, Thursday before our game in the Miami Herald

SOUTH FLORIDA VS. EAST CAROLINA | 1 P.M. SATURDAY, ESPN2

Wanted: RespectSouth Florida knows how much a victory over East Carolina in the PapaJohns.com bowl could mean to its up-and-coming program.

BY MIKE PHILLIPS

mphillips@MiamiHerald.com

AP PHOTO

MOMENTUM BUILDER: South Florida's Jerome Murphy (3), Eric Setser (67) and Aaron Harris (98) celebrated with fans after beating then-No. 7 West Virginia on Nov. 25.They have a quarterback ranked in the top 10 in the nation in total yards, a kicker who owns a Big East record and a defense good enough to stop West Virginia's Steve Slaton in his tracks.

But South Florida still is trying to find its place in college football's national landscape.

''Why is it,'' coach Jim Leavitt said, ``that when people talked about the teams in the Big East this year, they talked about Rutgers, Louisville and West Virginia, but didn't include us in that group?''

That's Leavitt's dilemma. He heads a program that keeps soaring to new heights, going from obscurity into Division I-A and then into the Big East and the Bowl Championship Series in the past five years.

That's why a victory over East Carolina (7-5) on Saturday in the PapaJohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., means so much to the Bulls, who never have won a bowl game in their five-year Division I-A history.

''It's really big, because it's our next step,'' Leavitt said. ``We've never won a bowl game, so it's important to the program. We have a young team, and a win would show credibility for next year.''

'MILESTONE' VICTORY

South Florida (8-4) is coming off a momentum-building 24-19 victory Nov. 25 at then-No. 7 West Virginia, which hadn't lost at home in nine years. The Bulls held Slaton, who was the No. 2 rusher in the nation, to 43 yards -- 115 below his average.

Leavitt called it ''a milestone,'' and it impressed six voters in The Associated Press poll, which listed USF among those receiving votes.

''We obviously hope to build off that win over West Virginia,'' said freshman quarterback Matt Grothe, the Big East Rookie of the Year. Grothe was the top freshman in the nation in total offense (258.5 yards a game), passing for 2,495 yards and 14 touchdowns, and leading the Bulls in rushing (607 yards and nine touchdowns).

''Winning the bowl game is big, especially after beating West Virginia,'' Grothe said. ``That might possibly get us ranked in the Top 25. I think people look past us because we are such a young program. But if we keep winning, people will start to respect us.

``And if we end this season ranked in the Top 25, that could carry over to next year. We have almost everybody back, and we might start the season ranked. We definitely have a lot of talent. I think we surprised people game after game this year.''

The biggest surprise was Grothe, who was better than Leavitt expected. He set a school record for passing yards (364) in a 27-10 victory over Syracuse, and accounted for 419 of South Florida's 519 total yards. Delbert Alvarado also set a Big East record with a 56-yard field goal.

''We can play in the Big East,'' Leavitt said. ``People don't realize we have beaten Louisville two out of four, beaten Pitt two out of four, beaten Syracuse two out of two''

South Florida might have landed in the Top 25 if it had defeated then-unbeaten Rutgers on Sept. 29. The Bulls lost 22-20 when a dropped ball in the end zone cost them a two-point conversion at the end of the game. Leavitt envisions a future that includes a Big East title and a spot in a BCS game, and a future in which his team plays Miami every year.

LOOKING GOOD FOR '07

Leavitt will lose just five players after this season, and South Florida will be a contender for the Big East title in 2007. And even though his team is playing in the PapaJohns.com bowl this year, a victory will mean a lot to his young players.

''Winning a bowl game is something people judge a program by,'' Leavitt said. ``I really want to win a bowl game.''

South Florida lost in its first bowl appearance last season, 14-0 to North Carolina State in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

''It would be awesome to be the first team to win a bowl game,'' said senior linebacker Patrick St. Louis of Miami Booker T. Washington. ``And if we ended up ranked in the Top 25, it would show how far the program has come. Next year's team can build off that.

``That's why I came here, to make a mark and to be part of history.''

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Days Won:  22

and this one also in Miami Herald AFTER our win.

PAPAJOHNS.COM BOWL | SOUTH FLORIDA 24, EAST CAROLINA 7

Bulls' victory makes historyTwo early touchdowns lifted South Florida to its first bowl victory and its school-record-tying ninth win of the season.

BY BRETT McMURPHY

The Tampa Tribune

AP PHOTO

MADE TO ORDER: South Florida quarterback Pat Julmiste carries the PapaJohns.com Bowl trophy.

Unit's absences motivating factor

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Call it a slice of University of South Florida history.

The Bulls delivered at the Papajohns.com Bowl. And in 30 minutes or less.

USF stunned East Carolina with two touchdowns in the opening eight minutes, and rode an inspired defensive effort for a 24-7 victory in front of an announced crowd of 32,023 at Legion Field. It was USF's first bowl victory, and tied the school record for most wins in a season set in 2002.

''This is the next step,'' USF coach Jim Leavitt said. 'If you lose, all of a sudden you're 0-2 in bowl games and everybody is asking, `Can you win a bowl game?' This was important for the Big East Conference and important for us. It meant a lot to me and our players.''

USF (9-4) dedicated the game to defensive coordinator Wally Burnham, who flew to Tampa on Friday to be with his mother, who died Saturday morning. USF also won without starting quarterback Matt Grothe, who said he suffered a broken right fibula in the first half and didn't play in the second half.

''I thought they did real well,'' said Burnham, who watched the game on TV. 'They played hard. I'm so proud. My daughter joked with me, `I guess you're overrated.' Our coaches did a good job calling the game.''

USF defensive assistants Rich Rachel, Bernard Clark and Troy Douglas worked together calling the defense.

''I wish Wally was here,'' an emotional Rachel said afterward.

Leading 24-7 at halftime, Clark called Burnham asking for advice.

''I told him just keep doing what you're doing,'' Burnham said. ``It's working.''

Without Grothe in the second half, senior Pat Julmiste, who had 24 career starts but watched most of this season from the bench, filled in admirably. Julmiste was 6 for 8 for 49 yards, and rushed for 53 yards.

''It's been a long time [since I played], but I'm a team player,'' Julmiste said. ``I just wanted us to win. That's the way to go -- going out on top.''

In their first bowl last season, the Bulls were shut out by N.C. State. Against East Carolina, USF needed only 67 seconds to score -- on Ben Williams' 16-yard run.

''This is a big step for our program,'' USF athletic director Doug Woolard said. ``There's only one time for a first time. It was important to get our first bowl victory.''

Maybe it's just the Post... hmm...  Thanks for showing me those, I didn't see them.

I don't live here, I just hear stuff from my parents when I come down.  Post doesn't seem to like us.