• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Assistant coach leaving Florida State staff

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

Updated: Dec. 22, 2006, 3:49 PM ET

Assistant coach leaving Florida State staff

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Bobby Bowden's longest serving assistant coach, Billy Sexton, will be leaving the staff after 30 years to join Florida State's fundraising arm in January.

It's the second change on Bowden's offensive staff in as many months. Bowden's son, Jeff Bowden, resigned as the offensive coordinator. He'll receive his salary through next August, plus $537,000 from the program's boosters, for stepping down.

Florida State (6-6) left Friday for San Francisco, where it will play UCLA (7-5) in the Emerald Bowl on Wednesday.

Sexton played quarterback for the Seminoles in 1973 and will join the FSU Foundation as a development associate with a salary not to exceed his current coaching base of $140,971.

"During my coaching career, I learned the value of fostering relationships," Sexton said in a statement released Friday by the school. "This new position provides me the chance to continue that work."

Sexton, whose son Wyatt Sexton played quarterback for the Seminoles in 2004, joined the coaching staff in 1977 -- Bowden's second at the school and his first winning year at Florida State.

Sexton coached many of Florida State's best backs, including Greg Allen, Warrick Dunn, Greg Jones, Amp Lee, Travis Minor and Sammie Smith.

"He has been an outstanding coach and an exceptional recruiter since the day he walked in the door," Bowden said. "He loves this university. I can't thank him enough for all he has done for FSU football."

Bowden said he plans to announce his new offensive coordinator sometime after the Seminoles' bowl game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

heck-fsu's president played for bowden in 60's