• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the end of an era

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Only seconds before the bell sounded to open their World Boxing Council light heavyweight championship bout, referee Jay Nady asked Roy Jones Jr. and Antonio Tarver if they had any questions.

Tarver, unusually, said he did, and asked Jones, "Roy, what excuse are you going to use tonight?"

But Tarver didn't allow Jones -- long considered the pound-for-pound king -- any excuses, knocking him out with a thunderous left hand at 1 minute 1 second of the second round before 10,318 shocked fans at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

It was only the second loss in 51 professional fights for Jones , who had been widely regarded as the best boxer in the world since at least 1994. And it was the only definitive defeat, as Jones's other loss came when he was disqualified in 1997 for hitting Montell Griffin when Griffin was down.

But on Saturday, a little more than seven months after Tarver (22-2) bitterly complained when Jones scored a majority decision in the same ring, Tarver backed up his boasts with the biggest punch of his career.

"I told you! I told you!" Tarver shouted at a stunned crowd, which had witnessed only the second knockdown and the first knockout of Jones's career. Tarver came into the rematch a 4-1 underdog.

Tarver won despite landing just seven punches in the 4:41 the bout took to complete.

Jones (49-2) won the first round on all three judges' scorecards, not doing much but landing the only significant punches of the round. He hit several good shots to the body, while Tarver did almost nothing.

It was more of the same in the second until the end, which came suddenly. Jones, with his back to Tarver's corner, missed a right and started to follow with a left hook. But Tarver countered with a left hook that landed square on Jones's chin.

Jones fell on his back in Tarver's corner. He rolled over, tried to get up and staggered toward the neutral corner. Nady waved off the bout as Tarver started jumping around the ring.

Jones said he had been knocked out once before, but never before in this fashion.

"I don't feel good about this," Jones said. "It was a good fight and he got me with a good shot. I tried to throw a hook and he threw the overhand and got me. . . . It can happen to the best of them."

In his exuberance, Tarver proclaimed himself the new pound-for-pound king. After the way he dismantled a man who for so long never lost fights (let alone rounds), it would be tough to argue.

Tarver and Jones, both 35, both grew up in Florida, but Tarver had to fight in Jones's shadow for years. He said he was motivated by Jones and the greatness that he achieved in winning titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight.

"Roy Jones is a great fighter," Tarver said. "I want to thank him for setting the bar so high, but now it is my bar."

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

the fact that Jones was humble after the loss means at the very least, it is the change of an era.  He still might remain great, but i've never seen him humbled before.

the world has been hearing "the best fighter pound for Pound" for  ahundred years.

the loss is somewhat humilating for a guy that had a ton of hype.Joneswas suppose to innihilate the guy

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

no he wasn't supposed to destroy tarver, tarver was the only fighter to ever really challege jones in a fight.  This was supposed to be close, with jones pulling it out, not a run away win.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

I love Jones.  Keep in mind that Jones has been fighting as a heavyweight so he had to lose a lot of weight to fight carver.  Carver is a good pro fighter from orlando and he got him with a great shot.    

Guest Joey Ramone
I love Jones.  Keep in mind that Jones has been fighting as a heavyweight so he had to lose a lot of weight to fight carver.  Carver is a good pro fighter from orlando and he got him with a great shot.    

My thoughts exactly-- this was one fight when he got caught with a good punch. Tarver threw what-- 7 or so decent punches during almost 5 minutes? I'm not impressed by that. Yes-- he knocked Jones down but the fight was stopped pretty **** fast from what I can tell (didn't see it live).

This smells like a setup to me-- let the one guy who gave you a decent bout before knock you out so you can sell a huge pay per view audience on the re-match. Maybe that's a reach-- but it sure makes sense. Add in the little blurb that Tarver said ("what are you going to blame this on this time Ray?") and we have some meat for the big build up.

You can bet the next time Jones fights this guy he will kick the living crap out of him-- you heard it here first.

Think back to when a bloated Tyson lost to James "Buster" Douglas in Japan. Douglas never did anything worth a rats ass again. He got lucky and the timing was right because Tyson took him for granted. Now in this case-- I doubt Jones did anythign that stupid (taking Tarver for granted). BUT I wouldn't doubt it if those other factors were the real problem in this fight.

Let's put it this way-- Jones will always be highly regarded. Tarver? He couldn't CARRY the bar Jones put up there, let alone move it anywhere.

4-1 favorite is suppose to knock out  opponent in first couple of rounds

this fight was supposed to be a joke

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

4-1 favorite is suppose to knock out  opponent in first couple of rounds

this fight was supposed to be a joke

Steve, you really say some dumb things at times. These guys had just fought a few months earlier and went the distance and carver probably won the fight but the challenger has to knock the champ out or beat him badly to win on cards.  Very few people expected a knockout in this fight but most felt roy would win.  The fight was never supposed to be a joke