• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why do we play differently on the Road?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

i'd like to hear some theories.  KU, Cincy, UCONN last year, it seems like we always choke when given the opportunity.  granted, i didn't expect us to win this game tonight, but i figured we'd at least show up.. is poor coaching and getting our players ready mentally?  i doubt it's because we are young.  RU is just as young as we are on the offensive side of the ball, and they are ranked 7th (i type this as they are trailing cincy 27-3, but i digress).. WVU was led by 2 freshmen last year, and the road thing didn't seem to bother them either.. what gives?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

i think at home we seem to overcome a lot of mistakes and still find was to win

we beat pitt and cuse why turning the ball over and having lots of costly penalties

on the road it all seems to get magnified

we beat pitt and cuse why turning the ball over and having lots of costly penalties

i dont think its an issue of turnovers.  it seems as if we can't get our offense on track when we're on the road.  and on defense, we always start out looking good, but then we fold.  maybe leavitt needs to smash more helmets into his head, because there's a dr. jekyl/mr. hyde thing going on here and we gotta get it fixed.

this program is starting to develop a propensity for being inconsistent

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Ever go on a business trip?  At home, you sleep in your own bed in familiar surroundings.  You are in a familiar stadium, and the routine is under your control.  On the road, you have to deal with a few hours of a flight.  Potentially you are sleeping in a hotel room in a city you rarely or have never visited.  The stadium is new to you, as are the locker rooms.  And the crowd is against you.

USF is a young team.  Many of these players have never visited Louisville.  Over the next year or two, the team should start doing much better on the road.

Well, that, and we need to find receivers that want to catch the ball.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

i dont think its an issue of turnovers.  it seems as if we can't get our offense on track when we're on the road.  and on defense, we always start out looking good, but then we fold.  maybe leavitt needs to smash more helmets into his head, because there's a dr. jekyl/mr. hyde thing going on here and we gotta get it fixed.

this program is starting to develop a propensity for being inconsistent

it's not just turnovers...it's mistakes in general

at kansas we drove down the field early went for it and didnt make it....just have to play a heck of a lot better on the road than you do at home to win.

USF is a young team.  Many of these players have never visited Louisville.

i dont think that's a good excuse.  pat white and steve slaton are only sophomores, they won the big east and the sugar bowl last year.  mike teel and ray rice are sophomores too, they seem to be doing alright, despite about to lose tonight.

this lack of preparation has been a trademark with our program for a while.  i dont think we can every consider ourselves to be true players in the college football landscape unless we get that big win on the road, and i dont think we've had that yet.  sure, that win vs. pitt w/blackwell was a statement game, but we gotta get wins like that every year, and we havent been able to.  it's got me a little worried.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,297

Fire Rod Smith!!!  The same play call on three series in a row.......screen pass to the right..........come on!!!  What a joke.  I'm pissed.   >:(

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Because the level of competition is, on the whole, much higher on the road than it is at home. No one travels to play a I-AA school or a low-level I-A school. Those games are always at home.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Ever go on a business trip?  At home, you sleep in your own bed in familiar surroundings.  You are in a familiar stadium, and the routine is under your control.  On the road, you have to deal with a few hours of a flight.  Potentially you are sleeping in a hotel room in a city you rarely or have never visited.  The stadium is new to you, as are the locker rooms.  And the crowd is against you.

USF is a young team.  Many of these players have never visited Louisville.  Over the next year or two, the team should start doing much better on the road.

Well, that, and we need to find receivers that want to catch the ball.

BUT...the only thing familiar is the game so there you should excel!

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  213

We've lost convincingly to a Top Ten team and a team which just knocked off a Top 10 team. We barely lost against a mid-level Big 12 team. We beat an ACC team and a rival team.

I think these are not too unexpected results based on the competition we've played. Yes, I wish we'd played better in our road losses, but with a young team, not that unexpected.