• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire volleyball coach and hire

Her...

Former South Florida volleyball coach Perri Hankins took the next step in her fight with the school, which she believes inexplicably and unfairly let her go in December 1998, filing a civil lawsuit Tuesday in Hillsborough County Circuit Court.

In the suit, Hankins alleges that she was fired in part as retaliation for her complaining about disparate funding and treatment of women athletes. Associate athletic director Barbara Sparks- McGlinchy has said the decision not to renew Hankins' contract was "in the best interests" of the athletic department.

(Jun 2000)

---

The lawsuit, filed Sept. 25 in U.S. District Court, claimed USF fired Hankins in retaliation for her blowing the whistle on the "disparate treatment of female athletes and those employed in women's sports at USF." Despite her success, including a 189-72 record in eight seasons with five NCAA Tournament appearances, Hankins was fired in December 1998.

(Jan 2002)

---

Thanks to the St. Pete Times Archives for this info...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

The University never said why her contract wasn't renewed, but her time at usf was the most successful years the vball team has ever had.  Conference championships, huge crowds, ncaa appearances etc.  

Sorry Jamie, I forgot 12-15 is a welcomed record with the AD.  Mentality like that is why usf isnt winning more games in several programs.  

Big improvement over last year, I hope so.  But if you are ok with a losing record, and we lost to some pretty sorry teams (1-3 Arkansas State,and sam houston state, and shutout 0-3 to UCF, cincy, ul, uf, pitt, nd, sju, tx tech, ga tech and uconn and losses to wright state and towson-tell me where that is-), then that's your proragative, but I would like to see better results, and if a guy across town is winning games, and actually interviewed for our job, then I have to wonder about the decision making abilities of those in charge of hiring the coach.  When we keep missing the conference tournys, then I have to wonder why changes aren't being made.  

I guess if we improve to 15-15 next year that would be ok with you.  

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307

Sorry Jamie, I forgot 12-15 is a welcomed record with the AD.  Mentality like that is why usf isnt winning more games in several programs.   

It is the year after they went 4-22.

Twisting off about the volleyball team is so incredibly random that I bet the only reason you posted it is to complain about something. It can't be because you have a deep understanding of the sport.

By the way, the losses to Louisville and Cincinnati were on the road.

No it just shows that unlike a lot of fans, I care about all sports, not just football or basketball.  USF should not be struggling like this in vball.   We hired an inexperienced coach who is in over her head.

BTW - Interesting that hankins is at ut, I didn't know that.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

No it just shows that unlike a lot of fans, I care about all sports, not just football or basketball.  USF should not be struggling like this in vball.   We hired an inexperienced coach who is in over her head.

BTW - Interesting that hankins is at ut, I didn't know that.

It also shows that you didn't understand recent history of the program.  I'd have to say that improving the program from a 15% winning record to a 44% winning record in one season is pretty commendable.

OK, like every other sport at usf, lets give the coach another year.  Several will say next year at this time when we are 14-15, that we improved and should keep the coach.  We should give a coach 3 years max to put out a winner.  Some will argue what Coach Fernadez has done, and if we had of fired him right away, look what might not have happened, but womens bball was a perrenial LOSER.  Of course it look a little longer, but the vball team was a winner for so many years, so a regression can't be tolerated.  

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

I'll start taking people's opinions more seriously when they make it out to 75% of the matches.

Also, anyone who thinks losing 0-3 to Louisville is something horrible should learn a thing or two about Louisville's program.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Several will say next year at this time when we are 14-15, that we improved and should keep the coach.

You're not comparing apples to apples, the improvement this year was from 15% winning percentage to 44%.  Why can't you understand that this improvement is excellent?  You don't dump coaches that manage to triple the winning percentage in a single season.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307

Some will argue what Coach Fernadez has done, and if we had of fired him right away, look what might not have happened, but womens bball was a perrenial LOSER.

Jose has a GIANT asterisk next to those records for the first couple of years, since half the team was suing the school. Some smart athletic director gave him enough time to turn the thing around and now it might be the best sport on campus.

Why are your panties in such a bunch about volleyball? Did one of them dump you or something?

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545
  • Days Won:  0

BTW Nova lost to St. Johns which means we made the tourney.

Great job by the whole team and staff b/c they really improved this year.