• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe likely to face SU

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

poststandard.gif

Grothe likely to face SU

USF's quarterback shakes off an ankle injury and could be trouble for the Orange.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

By Dave Rahme

Staff writer

The Syracuse University football team could have caught a break Saturday when South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe hobbled off the field during the Bulls' 22-12 victory over Pittsburgh. No such luck.

USF coach Jim Leavitt said Grothe, the top freshman quarterback in the nation, likely will be in the starting lineup at noon Saturday when USF tries to extend the Orange's school-record Big East losing streak to 12 games at Raymond James Stadium (Time-Warner).

"He hurt his foot or his ankle or something," Leavitt said Monday. "You know, he's fine. I'm sure he'll be sore today. All the X-rays were negative. We plan on him practicing tonight but, you know, that's more me probably being optimistic. He may need to not do anything today. But we plan on playing him, getting him ready to go."

Grothe was 19-for-25 (.760 completion percentage) for 180 yards and one touchdown and rushed for 51 yards and another TD in the Pitt win, which made South Florida (6-3, 2-2) bowl-eligible for the second time in as many seasons in the Big East.

While Grothe has used his legs - he is South Florida's leading rusher - as much as his arm to lead the Bulls to three victories in their last four games, the foundation of the team's success has been its defense.

SU coach Greg Robinson singled out junior defensive tackle Woody George and the linebacking trio of seniors Stephen Nicholas and Pat St. Louis and junior Ben Moffitt as the keys.

"I really like their defensive tackle, Woody George, who is a darn good player," he said. "And I think their linebacking corps as a group - Nicholas, Moffitt and St. Louis - these guys are good football players.

"I thought Nicholas last Saturday against Pitt was dominant at times. Moffitt has been the guy who is the glue that kind of holds it all together. I think St. Louis is as active a linebacker as there is in the Big East. I think that pretty much says it."

That sounds like trouble for SU (3-6, 0-4), which is ranked No. 112 in total offense (269 yards per game) among the 119 teams in Division I-A.

Story Link

Wow...112 in total offense.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  0

USF coach Jim Leavitt said Grothe, [highlight]the top freshman quarterback in the nation[/highlight], likely will be in the starting lineup at noon Saturday when USF tries to extend the Orange's school-record Big East losing streak to 12 games at Raymond James Stadium (Time-Warner).

How great is it to read that about a USF quarterback!?!?!?!!  Go BULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

USF coach Jim Leavitt said Grothe, [highlight]the top freshman quarterback in the nation[/highlight], likely will be in the starting lineup at noon Saturday when USF tries to extend the Orange's school-record Big East losing streak to 12 games at Raymond James Stadium (Time-Warner).

How great is it to read that about a USF quarterback!?!?!?!!  Go BULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply awesome!