• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

St. Louis AD Becomes Fourth USF Finalist

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869
  • Days Won:  0

May 3, 2004

St. Louis AD Becomes Fourth USF Finalist

By BRETT McMURPHY

bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

TAMPA - Saint Louis athletic director Doug Woolard has been named a fourth finalist for the University of South Florida AD position.

Woolard, who has been at Saint Louis since 1994, will interview for the position on Wednesday. Former Air Force AD Randy Spetman interviewed with USF officials last week, Virginia senior associate AD Jon Oliver interviewed today and Michigan State associate AD Mark Hollis will interview Tuesday.

Before becoming AD at Saint Louis, Woolard, 54, was an associate AD at Washington State for six years.

This story can be found at: http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGAREAM4TTD.html

Guest S. Bien

This should please some.  Here is a bonified AD that has had success as an Associate AD at the BCS level.  St. Louis has some first rate athletics, and he's done an excellent job developing the school.

Still a possibility for a couple more surprises like this one.  The selection is looking a little brighter.

Guest BasketBull.

Honestly, I'm waiting for somone with connections. And in that I mean NCAA connections or business connections that will get USF into the VIP door of corporate America...

Leadership, that's great --that's what the job entails.

But the reason(s) we will thrive in the future will be CA$H and connections that lead to CA$H.

Look, Mr. Selmon has Tampa connections and he has Oklahoma connections, and those equated to a big part of the financing of the facility and the Oklahoma game on national TV (not connected, of course)... But we could not get enough football games to fill the football schedule with I-A teams to the tune of lacking connections (just my opinion).

We need someone who can: (1) Change the way things have been operating in terms of marketing and so forth to bring in more dollars. And or (2) someone who has huge ties to make USF part of the in-crowd in the athletics scene.

A good leader, that's great... BUT IT'S NOT ENOUGH!

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

p-woolardc.jpg

img7275291.jpg

He looks like Archie Manning...GOOD LORD!!

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23

St louis.... HELL NO.....

1) we left C-Doa

2) No major d-1A footBULL EXpirence

3) Asst Wash State = Mike Price (see Ala)

Nollis from MSU = YES!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

upside is he has been shown a telephone... and had it explainde to him what it is and how it works...

Guest MikeB@School
upside is he has been shown a telephone... and had it explainde to him what it is and how it works...

However, I heard he uses the same resume company as O'Leary, so he'll probably be bumped off the list...

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Well, they know about it now in St Louis. He's looked at other jobs in the past as well.

woolard04big.jpg

Woolard is finalist for S. Florida job

By STU DURANDO

Of the Post-Dispatch

05/03/2004

St. Louis University Athletic Director Doug Woolard

St. Louis University athletics director Doug Woolard has been added to the list of finalists for the same position at the University of South Florida, where he will interview on Wednesday.

Woolard's status as a finalist was announced by the South Florida search committee Monday. He confirmed that he will travel to Tampa after being called by a consultant responsible for selecting the final applicants.

"I got a call from South Florida and they asked if I would talk to them about their position," Woolard said. "I considered it more a compliment to what is happening in our department. I'm going to visit with them, but I'm really excited about what is happening in our program so it will have to be something really special for me to be interested."

South Florida, an outgoing member of Conference USA, is seeking a replacement for Lee Roy Selmon, who resigned in February. The new AD will lead the school into the Big East, starting in 2005.

The school is using consultant Chuck Neinas, whom Woolard said he has known for years. Neinas previously picked Michigan State associate AD Mark Hollis, Virginia senior associate AD Jon Oliver and former Air Force AD Randy Spetman as finalists.

Two of the candidates have been interviewed, and Woolard will be last of the four. Reports say candidates will meet with the 12-member search committee, members of the athletic and academic administrations, coaches and alumni.

Being called by a consultant is "not atypical," Woolard said. "In athletics there are opportunities where people get recruited to look at something. Chuck and I have known each other for a while. It wasn't that I was looking to do anything but they contacted me."

Woolard has been in this position before.

He was rumored to be one of five finalists for the AD job at UNLV last year, although he denied talking about the job with anyone from the school. In 2001, Woolard was one of four finalists for the job at Kansas and was interviewed.

Woolard took over as athletics director at SLU on Oct. 10, 1994. He previously worked as associate-assistant athletics director at Washington State for six years.

Reporter Stu Durando

E-mail: sdurando@post-dispatch.com

Phone: 314-340-8232

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/SLU/8593F708713BBCBF86256E8A00147E51?OpenDocument&Headline=Woolard+is+finalist+for+S.+Florida+job

I wonder if the Southern Miss AD will now apply since his name also came up before.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

woolard04big.jpg

mulcahy.jpg

Father Mulcahy?