• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

will pedro be a yankee next year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

are yankees and pedro beyond taking a bribe to throw a game this year?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

if bosox win world series, i bet george pulls all the stops to get pedro

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

if boston doesn't make world series(which is more likely)

what do you predict now,vg?

If bosox don't make the series, red sox won't even sign pedro, they'll go after someone younger, unless pedro dominates the rest of the year.  He's gonna have to earn a new contract.  If he earns it, they will pay, and will probably set a new record for pitching contract.  

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

I think Sox will wait until late in the season and if Pedro is pitching very well they will work a deal but if not Hello pinstripes.

KR... if pedro goes pinstripes... i really would like to see dontrell willis in a boston uniform.  

KR... if pedro goes pinstripes... i really would like to see dontrell willis in a boston uniform.  

Maybe as a hitter.  There are a bunch of young pitchers out there that sox could aim for.  The team is going to spend money whether it is on guys on team now or new guys.

He does hit good, but i really like his attitude... thats what we need...

pedro had attitude, still waiting for it to reveal itself this year... i thought it was going to come out in his last win, but nope.

I really like willis.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHOTO GALLERY

Manny Ramirez fouls it off.

HERALD INTERACTIVE TOOLS

View Text Version

Email to a Friend

Subscribe to the Boston Herald

RELATED RED SOX NEWS

Some will talk, Lowe won't: Free-agents-to-be polled

Epstein has answer: GM issues response to ace's stance

Pedro unleashes tornado

EXCLUSIVE: Martinez says he'll be free agent

Nomar's return now pushed back to June

Manny: I'll pay up: Offer to defer salary no joke

By Karen Guregian

Monday, May 3, 2004

ARLINGTON, Texas - Who knew Manny Ramirez [stats, news] was so profound?

Who knew he was a voice of reason in that clubhouse?

Typically, Ramirez is someone we don't take seriously. In yesterday's Herald, for instance, Ramirez told Mike Silverman he would gladly defer part of his annual salary - which is $20 million per year on average - to help the team pay to keep his friend Pedro Martinez [stats, news] in a Red Sox [stats, schedule] uniform.

The number he threw out was $5 million a year to chip in for the Pedro fund. That's what he was willing to subtract from his salary to help keep the Sox ace, who will test free agency at season's end.

``How long is (Pedro) planning to stay, three years?'' Ramirez was quoted in the article. ``I'll loan them a contract. Whatever they want. How much do they need? It's for Pedro.''

Surely, anyone reading that had to believe it was a joke. Just another instance of Manny being Manny. Besides, what player ever gives back money?

Well, Ramirez can register as the first and only to do just that.

When asked after last night's 4-1 loss to the Texas Rangers if he was just kidding around, just pulling someone's leg, Ramirez reiterated his claim.

``I am serious,'' he said sternly. ``I want Pedro to stay. Pedro's the heart of the team. He's been here so long. I think it's going to be a sad moment to see him leave. That's why I said what I did. It's really no problem for me. Hey, how much money do I need?''

Again, what athlete do you ever hear saying something like that? Usually, they never have enough.

Ramirez last night also wanted to include Nomar Garciaparra [stats, news] in his money giveaway. The shortstop is another player Ramirez believes should remain a Sox player if at all possible.

Obviously, union head Donald Fehr and the almighty Players Association would never allow what Ramirez is proposing - it didn't work when Alex Rodriguez was attempting to come to Boston - but once again, given Manny has now opened himself up to the media, it's a side of him we never knew existed.

Ramirez was speaking from his heart. And he was very sincere.

He is also one of the few Sox players who has demonstrated an ability to hit in the clutch this season.

Now if he could only get his teammates to relocate their clutch hitting shoes, everything would be right on Planet Red Sox.

Following last night's loss, which gave the Rangers a three-game sweep of the Sox, the media's new go-to guy advised everyone - that means you Red Sox fans - to just chill out and relax about the club's hitting woes.

``I'm not worried,'' Ramirez said matter-of-factly. ``We still got five months to go. Tomorrow's going to be a new day. We'll see what happens. Those guys from Texas did a great job pitching. Why don't you just give those guys credit. That guy (R.A. Dickey) had nasty stuff today.''

As it was, Ramirez, who is hitting .357 with runners in scoring position, didn't have the best series against the Rangers. He went 2-for-11 in the series with six strikeouts. These days, if he doesn't hit, the Sox offense is in trouble.

``It's a long season,'' Ramirez said. ``Don't worry. We'll be fine.''

Who knows? Maybe this Ramirez character has more insight than anyone thinks.

good find...  pretty funny that Ramirez was criticized so much in recent years, but now he really has changed his attitude.